Crushings

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Crushings

Postby Malron » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:05 pm

One of my warrior friends claims that the higher the tier the boss is (5,6) the more avoidance you need to get to become uncrushable. He also claims that it is easier for a warrior to avoid more crushing blows than a paladin.

I doubt there is any truth to that, anyone want to clarify it for me?
Malron

Re: Crushings

Postby Alixander » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:14 pm

Malron wrote:One of my warrior friends claims that the higher the tier the boss is (5,6) the more avoidance you need to get to become uncrushable. He also claims that it is easier for a warrior to avoid more crushing blows than a paladin.

He is incorrect. Being uncrushable either is or isn't. Once you reach it, as long as you can keep the gear, or upgrade it, you're fine. See the post on Pally tanking and specifically the portion concerning Tanking Universals. That will clear up a lot for you. ^^

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... ic.php?t=7
Alixander

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:28 pm

Malron wrote:One of my warrior friends claims that the higher the tier the boss is (5,6) the more avoidance you need to get to become uncrushable. He also claims that it is easier for a warrior to avoid more crushing blows than a paladin.

A little reading on these forums would have cleared this up without a post.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Arcand » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:44 pm

Malron wrote:I doubt there is any truth to that, anyone want to clarify it for me?

As far as we know, anything listed as Level ?? (Boss) is considered by the WoW engine to be level 73. (Don't ask how this affects Hakkar, Ragnaros and the other level 60 raid bosses; they were considered level 63 pre-BC but I don't know what's become of them now.)

That's three levels higher than you, meaning an advantage of 15 points of weapon skill. I claim without proof (it's out there) that every point of skill differential reduces your dodge, block, parry and miss chances by 0.04%.

So 15 points will reduce your dodge, block, parry and miss by 15x0.04=0.6% each. Total of 2.4% 'avoidance' lost off your character sheet numbers when you tank a raid boss. To offset that, we shoot for a total avoidance of 102.4%, so we're still at a hundred percent after losing that 2.4%.

If your buddy disagrees, show him this (or Lore's summary on this forum which you might find a better read) and ask him to point out exactly which part he disagrees with and why. I'm guessing you'll get some combination of mumbling, and ad hominem rhetoric.
Arcand

Postby Lore » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:38 pm

I did Onyxia on my Warlock (he was level 67 at the time) with some level 70s, seemed to treat her pretty normal to me as far as resists went, as though she was level 70. I definitely got a lot less resists on her than the 71s and 72s in Black Morass when I brought him there. Seems to me that bosses don't have a "level" per se, their attack tables just adjust depending on what level the player is.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Everlight » Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:08 pm

Lore wrote:Seems to me that bosses don't have a "level" per se, their attack tables just adjust depending on what level the player is.

Yep. They deliver attacks and receive them as though they are three levels higher than the player they're hitting or being hit by.

I'm not sure if there's a low cap on this, but I can tell you when I first stepped foot in MC with my 58 Mage oh-so-long ago, it wasn't like shooting at a level 63 on a boss. It was like shooting a level 61.
Everlight

Return to Basic Training & Talents