Remove Advertisements

lvl 52 totally confused..

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

lvl 52 totally confused..

Postby Arnamentia » Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:58 am

I am pretty darn confused as to what I should be equipping - armor, trinkets, stats, etc - to be an affective tank in instances.

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/#char ... Arnamentia

My gear is.. well, pretty much all over the place? I don't really know what I should be focusing on for stats.. Right now I high with Strength and Stamina..

In game right now, I primarily run instances as a tank while solo "AOE" grinding on the side. I'm pretty happy with that, but my mana is completely lacking and I can't find much of anything that's Plate w/intellect.. or should I focus more on +spell dmg? Ahhh!!! lol

When I run instances I use some Adepts Elixir, Imp R.fury, BoSanctuary and a mix of Dev/Ret auras.

What would be a good 1H to upgrade to and what enchant would be best to get on it? Also, what enchant would be best for my shield? The shield that I have now has a thorium shield spike, but I was thinking of switching to the Wall of the Dead shield that I got from an instance the other day. http://thottbot.com/i1979

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Arnamentia

Postby Lore » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:01 am

At level 52 the answer would be "whatever you have"

There's not much for spell damage gear pre-BC quests unless you do a lot of the upper 50's instances, and even then you'll just replace all that as soon as you get to Hellfire. I'd say just put on what you've got :P
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Arnamentia » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:05 am

I guess that could possibly explain why it's so confusing! lol
Arnamentia

Postby jere » Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:19 pm

Honestly you don't have to worry much until you start reaching 70.

Basically for tanking:

LvL 18-60: Just work on getting Stam, Intellect, and armor. That is enough for tanking instances up to that point. If you see some spell dmg or other caster stats, grab them, but don't worry, that kind of gear will come later.

LvL 60-70: You should start getting lots of spell dmg gear at this stage in outlands. Start working on improving your spell dmg a lot as it will really make your tanking a lot easier in instances.

LvL 70+: For raiding, you will really want to focus on uncrittable, uncrushable, raid tanking stats. You will lose a lot of spell dmg in favor or raid tanking stats, but that is the nature of the beast at the moment. Also, work on boosting your HP's as well.

There really isn't any large gear concerns unless you plan on tanking Karazan and beyond. Even the tips I gave are probably not as necessary as you can tank in most any gear up to level 70.
jere

Postby Nidal » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:06 pm

I find it helpful to remind myself that at my level (59) gear choices should be based more on questing/grinding as that is how I spend most of my time. I tank the occasional instance and do just fine in what I would consider questing gear.

So for example last night I had two situations where I had a choice between one or two new quest rewards and the current gear I was using. Twice I sacrificed a little health to pick up more Int and some +dam and +mana/5, because they will help me more during my questing/grinding.

If you spend the majority of your time tanking instances then you can change your priorities (ie focus more on stam and def), but I find that instances are great for getting some new gear or just a change of pace, but for xp questing/grinding is where it's at.

When I hit 70 of course priorities will change and my gear choices will change with them.....uncrushable where are you?? :lol:
Nidal

Postby Arcand » Mon Jun 25, 2007 3:37 pm

Once you hit the Outlands, you'll also finally start seeing plate with Defense Rating on it that doesn't say Classes:Warrior. Load up on that. Your long-term goal is to get your Defense to 490 so you don't take criticals.
Arcand

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:29 pm

You really won't worry till you are about 68ish, until then you can wear anything that is plate and be okay.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby rebelyell » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:22 pm

First post...evah...

I've just recently respec'd from ret to prot at lvl 50.. I'm now lvl 53 and focussing on pretty much all stam and int gear. its hard to find but there are some nice pieces out there and I make up the rest with as close as I can find which sometimes happens to be the pvp gear I picked up just prior to dinging 50.

LvL 50 - 53 (maybe 54) Sorrow Hill is your friend... Through grinding out a few lvls inbetween instance runs I've managed to get so much runecloth I've done all the cloth handin's at UC, Org and TB as well as max out First Aid to 300. Its also fairly good for isk generation too.
rebelyell

Postby Sereen » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:25 am

rebelyell wrote:Its also fairly good for isk generation too.

EVEOnline much? =D

-Ser
Sereen

Postby rebelyell » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:34 pm

Damn it I got sprung... 8)

Still have the accounts but havent played eve-online in over 3 months..

sorry for the off topic chat..
rebelyell

Return to Basic Training & Talents