Karazhan - Prince Malchezaar

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Karazhan - Prince Malchezaar

Postby Endure » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:39 am

He's your first real test as a paladin tank. I'd shoot for a minimum of of 15k health, but would feel safe suggesting 16k+. While you can do it with less, the extra padding helps with all the magic damage potential you can take. You also want to be able to remove crushing blows without pushing block up to high. A 20-21% block, and a high enough dodge/parry along with HS + Heroic Libram is what you should aim for to remove crushing blows. Focusing too much on block will mean you will take more damage, and avoidance is key. You need your holy shield to last as long as possible, especially from 60 to 30%. While redoubt is nice on this encounter you don't want to rely on it.

As a paladin tank on this encounter, you will end up removing your own SW:Pain. This leaves the healers at max range, and they don't have to move in to remove it.

The key here is to manage your cooldowns. You will constantly have something to press: Consecrate, Exorcism, Judgment, Seal of Righteousness, Cleanse, and Holy Shield. The most important ability is Holy Shield. You need to use it as soon as it's available to keep block up and to avoid crushing blows. On other fights you might get away with waiting for the global cooldown before hitting Holy Shield, but not on this fight.

So if you can hit Exorcism, but Holy Shield is a second away from being up, wait for Holy Shield, get it back up, and then go back to Exorcism.

Cleansing is secondary to Holy Shield. But as soon as you can, cleanse the debuff off you. Otherwise, a major advantage of you tanking is removed.

Keep JoW up on Prince unless you are stacked heavily with melee. The ranged DPS will thank you as they can poor out more DPS over time. And you don't want them running out or low on mana. I usually have an enhancement shaman in my group too, so this helps him as well.

During the 60 to 30% phase when he dual wields his axes, you want to make sure you have all your defensive cooldowns up for this. Abilities and trinkets that enhance your blocking or dodging should be used at this phase. Watch your debuffs. When he debuffs you with Sunder, you want to use one of these abilities to both try to get it off you, as well as to lower your damage intake. Other tools you can use at this phase are Nightmare Seeds. Try to not burn all your tools at once. Rather, use one, then another, than another as needed. At this phase, your DPS is pushing really hard (or at least they should be) so don't let up on aggro. I've gotten cases where I've gotten a lot of resists, and while I didn't drop aggro, I got rather nervous (We don't use any threat meter either). Basically, you should be going out out for aggro this fight. It's also good because by going all out, you will output a solid amount of DPS, too.

It goes without saying that you'll be using Devotion Aura for this. If you happen to have any elixirs that increase your Armor, you can use them as well. Obviously, food buffs and what not as you feel thats needed.

Either way, it's not a difficult fight, just be aware of keeping Holy Shield up, keep using all your abilities, cleanse, and be prepared to avoid damage on phase 2.
Endure of Crimson
http://www.crimson-guild.org
0/49/12
Endure

Postby Aergis » Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:56 pm

How about positioning? We've tried a few different corners and haven't really found a "sweet spot" to avoid the elementals. Also, I was having a hard time watching behind him because he is so large I couldn't see through him. I've only had 4 attempts on him though, as the last time we tried he bugged out and we were no longer able to attack him at all.

Lately we've been rotating new people into our Kara group, and getting stuck at Aran because 3 or 4 people have never done it before and make mistakes while learning. I want to get back and get some more good attempts at him, but we won't let ourselves skip Aran.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Endure » Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:00 pm

I run into the room when he's far away from the door, and head directly to my left. I run a bit, not too far, put my back against the wall, and proceed to have my way with him.

If an infernal lands in that spot, their is usually a spot to the left or right I can run to (usually to the right of where I'm standing (closer to the door).

If not, I usually swing around, and strafe to the far wall. I usually have other people on vent give me directions. I just trust in what they say, and run in that direction. Seems to work.
Endure of Crimson
http://www.crimson-guild.org
0/49/12
Endure

Postby Daeren » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:27 pm

The fight depends on your gear, and that you have good healers.

I did it with 4 healers, but we might as well have done it with 3 (scrap the resto druid).

I went in with 14k armor (no elixirs) and 16,6k HP flasked and shouted. 46% avoidance + block.

Phase 2 included me chugging a ironshield pot.

Went down the first serious try (had some trouble positioning the first two times). Very much doable.
Daeren

Postby Aergis » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:33 pm

Finally got him down last night after 3 attempts last week and having him bug out and we couldn't attack. Phase 2 became much easier this week, as I brought extra agi pots, had the shaman come into my group for grace of air, had the dps druid go healing for phase 2 ( hot's with the druid dungeon set bonus adds another 2% dodge ). Spent most of phase 2 with 32.5% dodge! Way easier than last week. :lol:
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Lore » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:40 pm

Aergis wrote:Finally got him down last night after 3 attempts last week and having him bug out and we couldn't attack. Phase 2 became much easier this week, as I brought extra agi pots, had the shaman come into my group for grace of air, had the dps druid go healing for phase 2 ( hot's with the druid dungeon set bonus adds another 2% dodge ). Spent most of phase 2 with 32.5% dodge! Way easier than last week. :lol:

For future reference, if he bugs out, you can have a Warlock run down and enslave one of the imps near Illhoof, bring it back up to Prince's room, and release it while he's standing next to Prince. He'll get proximity aggro and attack you, so long as everyone doesn't run out of the room again (that's what bugs him in the first place, people running away), you'll be able to attack him.

You'll be dead, but it's better than soft resetting it.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Aergis » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:47 pm

Problem with that though is there has to be mobs left in the instance... When it bugged last week, it was monday, server about to reset, and we'd cleared every boss ( and thus, the boss's trash ). There was nothing left to pull up there, including the fleshbeast guys without waiting for them to respawn, which would have been server downtime and full instance reset.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Lore » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:53 pm

Yeah, we usually save Illhoof for last (or skip him entirely) so it's not much of an issue for us.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Apr 08, 2007 1:09 am

Aergis wrote:Problem with that though is there has to be mobs left in the instance... When it bugged last week, it was monday, server about to reset, and we'd cleared every boss ( and thus, the boss's trash ). There was nothing left to pull up there, including the fleshbeast guys without waiting for them to respawn, which would have been server downtime and full instance reset.

There's no reason to clear the fleshbeats that are just off the staircase, on the middle floors, we save them for specifically for unbugging the prince.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Daeren » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:53 am

FUNSIES!

Daeren

Postby Lore » Mon Apr 09, 2007 6:40 am

Oh man only 9 seconds to the next enfeeble you better get ready!
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:02 am

Funny that you got mana from the heal during that enfeeble.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Kathryn » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:04 am

We 1 shotted him on our 2nd night of this week's with 1 dead who got battle rezzed and on our 3rd attempt ever.

1rst attempt we died to infernal on phase 1.
2nd attempt Healers were oom (not using MP5 elixirs) and DPS didnt save enough ressources to burst through phase2. We wpide at 35%. We call it a night it was getting late.

Next day:

1rst attempt, prince down. Apparently i was a breeze to heal.
Kathryn

Postby Lore » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:10 am

This could easily become one of the fights that Paladin tanks are superior in post-2.1 due to the extra blocks from imp HS. I can't wait to give it a try.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Daimokuren » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:26 pm

Could use a little advice here. Guild's just now got to where we know we can down Curator, and we've tried Shade a couple times. We may try Prince this weekend and if not, then definitely next week. I'm HOPING to get more of the gear I need before then, but it's proven very taxing to farm instances for drops and even to get groups together to do so in the first place so it's been a slow process.

I'm sitting at 10.3k hp unbuffed, and tend to be from 12k-13k buffed in kara depending on group make up and what not. I'm still QUITE crushable with HS up (a bit over 9% according to tankpoints). Judging from Endure's advice here, should I just not even try yet? I don't know what to expect in the fight, but I've started tanking Curator when I didn't think I was ready for that either. Just trying to get some foresight from people that have been there. :)

Is it a completely hopeless kind of thing, or a "Well... If you're lucky and your groups good, you can still pull it off" kind of thing?

Brett
Daimokuren - 70 Draenei Paly - Balnazzar
Daimokuren

Next

Return to Karazhan