Remove Advertisements

Al'ar: How to AOE the Embers?

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Al'ar: How to AOE the Embers?

Postby masterkiller » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:21 am

We tried Al'ar last week, and I was easily able to tank all the adds from phase 1. We got to phase 2 and most of the adds at phase 1 were at 10% or lower health. We turned on AOE and I got shot across the room, the adds began to follow and AOE was no longer on all of the targets. I did find a spot under one of the ramps that the knockback would keep me in place and seems like I wouldn't get tossed around the room.

For those that AOE the embers, is this how you do it? I would imagine I would need a SS to pop back up unless a well timed bubble on/off got lucky.

Thanks for your help.
masterkiller

Postby Jensaarai » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:38 am

When I tank the adds, I tank them by the door, in one of the little nooks on either side...back right in there and when they explode you won't go flying :P

However, I don't aoe tank them all, we kill them one by one...and considering they each explode for like 5k, I'd imagine you'd definitely need a SS to come back for P2.
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby easttuth » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:39 am

In my opinion, Seed of Corruption is really the only 100% effective way to kill the embers using AE.

Our guild has a very strong tankadin, and we use a hybrid solution:

Phase 1: Tankadin tanks embers and they are single-targeted down by all Melee DPS and one Ranged DPS

Phase 2: Tankadin tanks all embers, they are never DPSed. We focus fire on Al'ar and finish well before enrage, even on our recent first kill.

Despite having 4 Warlocks in our normal raid group, we still find the tanking all adds through P2 is the most efficient and least chaotic strategy.
easttuth

Postby Tiandelin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:09 am

easttuth wrote:Phase 1: Tankadin tanks embers and they are single-targeted down by all Melee DPS and one Ranged DPS

Phase 2: Tankadin tanks all embers, they are never DPSed. We focus fire on Al'ar and finish well before enrage, even on our recent first kill.

Despite having 4 Warlocks in our normal raid group, we still find the tanking all adds through P2 is the most efficient and least chaotic strategy.

This works very well for my guild too. I'm in a group with a shadow priest for phase 1 since the adds do negligible damage by themselves and I need some way to get mana back. For phase 2, we have a pally healer on me with improved RF who spams heals when Al'ar dive bombs. He gets aggro on the spawns and I just taunt them off him.
Tiandelin - Co-MT of Monolith, Area 52 US
Tiandelin

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:46 am

We save all our embers for P2; melee gets them down to 20% health or so while Al'ar's at the two inner platforms; otherwise melee DPSes Al'ar.

During P2 one DPS warrior taunts a damaged ember off, drags it into a dark alley and murders it. Rinse and repeat until Al'ar's at 20%, at which point the warrior goes and execute spams Al'ar and I just hold on to the rest of the birds.

One paladin with RF is on me the entire fight; he's pretty much enough to keep me alive with the occasional drive by Renew.

We typically kill him in 11-12 minutes.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby YoYoMa » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:58 am

I you were to AoE them down, then you'd want to do it where you mentioned. Tuck youself in under one of the ramps leading to the upper platform. There is a little lip that keeps you from flying into the air if you are positioned under it with your back facing out.

That said, I think AoE on the birds is highly dangerous and risky considering what you said, if you don't get them all down in the AoE then you have loose birds flying around eating the raid.

I'd say you are best either killing them as they spawn or just tank them and kill al'ar. We do the method where I just tank every add and the full raid is on Al'ar. He dies VERY fast this way and takes a lot of the variability out of it.
YoYoMa

Postby Erutaron » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:11 pm

In the guild my Priest is currently raiding with, we don't have a prot pally :-( Now that mine is 70, I am gonna try to change that, but we will see.

What we do

P1 -> All melee DPS is on the adds, tanked by a druid. All ranged on A'lar.

P2 -> All ranged on the adds, tanked by a druid, DPS'ing 1 down at a time. All melee on Alar.

Works perfectly fine, A'lar has never came close to enrage, ever. We have come really close to having him die in mid air though :-(
Erutaron

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:19 pm

We did our first kill by AEing all the birds from phase 1 at the same time. It made for a heck of a show, but after trying to recreate it, it was obviously a lot of dumb luck involved. 3 warlocks spamming SoC made all the birds flop down right where I was holding them, while I got punted by the first explosion and lived to tell the tail. That was... ideal.

However, if the adds are not all within a couple hundred hps of each other, you're going to end up with what you describe... you get punted and then they chase you. And then things just slow down too much and it's hard to get back on top of the fresh embers from the meteor. If you really want to do it this way, you want a lot of people dpsing them a little bit, with maybe 1 person evening them all out just before the AE starts. Try to get them between 5% and 10%, and all exactly the same. that's hard to do, but if you stop using holy shield and everything you shouldn't be doing any damage you don't want to (i click off thorns and fireshield for this fight just in case some get too close to dead).

If you want to AE the adds you do NOT want to wedge yourself in. That's suicide and if the birds don't all die then they'll scatter. If you get punted and the birds don't all die, well, at least they're all coming at you in a group.

We haven't had the chance to get back at alar after our kill, but I've convinced everyone that we need to go back to killing birds as they spawn, leaving maybe 2 or 3 up for the phase 2 start. No more than we can reliably kill before the first meteor. It doesn't play to our AE tanking strengths as paladins, but being free to go pick up fresh embers does, between AS and our taunt, so I still feel "fulfilled" by killing all the embers. :)

-- This also lets me wear my threat suit instead of my block value suit too, which is more fun anyway. :)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Return to Tempest Keep