Remove Advertisements

Prince in Kara

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Prince in Kara

Postby Deadlance » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:44 pm

I was wondering, as I have been reading alot about this, disengauging from prince during phase 2? Why?

I have run prince before, but as a healer and not a tank, and I'm not quite there yet, but was wondering why a pally tank would disengauge from the prince during this phase... why not keep Light judged and Sealed, and atleast auto attack him....?
Deadlance

Postby NarfJones » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:04 pm

Because he parries more, and does extra heavy damage. Basically, he tears the shit of you. Disengaging means he cant parry your attacks which removes the possibility for huge spike damage.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Deadlance » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:19 pm

AH! Ok, that makes sense. When he parrys it gives him a faster auto attack basically... sucks. Consecrate, Holy Shield, Blessing of Santuary ... for building threat during phase 2... with not attacking.
Deadlance

Postby NarfJones » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:20 pm

Deadlance wrote:AH! Ok, that makes sense. When he parrys it gives him a faster auto attack basically... sucks. Consecrate, Holy Shield, Blessing of Santuary ... for building threat during phase 2... with not attacking.

Exactly. I always target another raid member or totem.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Bryne » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:24 pm

BoL isn't even a drop in the bucket against the damage you're taking in P2. If you've built up a healthy threat lead in P1, you can resort to holding aggro with Consecrate and Holy Shield, which are a pretty large chunk of your threat anyway. It also removes the possibility of getting raped by parries.
Bryne

Postby Deadlance » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:34 pm

yeah, I never even thought about parries.

I havent been tanking very long, and on most things that I have attempted so far, it doesnt seem like it's very difficult to do.

I have tanked Attumen in kara, and all of Heroic Ramps.. and so far, the hardest thing to keep aggro on was Omor in ramparts because the dogs mana raped me right off the bat. We still 1 shot him with no problems... but building threat in that fight was really tough with no mana
Deadlance

Postby gworroll » Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:16 pm

Does P2 Prince have an increased parry chance over the default 5.6%, or is it just that he hits so hard that the normal chance is considered worse than it is on most bosses?
gworroll

Postby Everlight » Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:04 pm

gworroll wrote:Does P2 Prince have an increased parry chance over the default 5.6%, or is it just that he hits so hard that the normal chance is considered worse than it is on most bosses?

Boss parry rates are closer to 15%, actually.

The main danger with Prince isn't that each hit is hard, because it's not - the threat is that a bad parry may trigger a hit that triggers his Thrash - which means he follows up that parry with a whole bunch of hits.
Everlight

Postby Falconcry » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:31 am

Guessing that would be why even though I disengaged, having two rogues and a kitty standing on top of me, I got my arse handed to me.
Falconcry

Postby Sthallas » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:43 am

Falconcry wrote:Guessing that would be why even though I disengaged, having two rogues and a kitty standing on top of me, I got my arse handed to me.

/facepalm... They were attacking from the front??
Sthallas

Postby Falconcry » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:49 am

ayep :( Bad infernal and not listening
Falconcry

Postby Maranus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:53 am

I've never disengaged from prince, and never died to him. (every wipe has always been a lolinfernals wipe, and that was one... off night)

You shouldn't need to. If you're getting spiked down, either your gear sucks and you're slack, or the healers are slack.
You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Maranus

Postby Sthallas » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:01 am

Maranus wrote:You shouldn't need to. If you're getting spiked down, either your gear sucks and you're slack, or the healers are slack.

But the point to disengaging is that if you have an issue with the above you can compensate for it by ... disengaging! 8)
Sthallas

Postby Maranus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:05 am

If your dps don't pull agro, they are slack.

Bubble hearth cause your whole group is slack.
You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Maranus

Postby Yeti » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:28 am

Disengaging may or may not help, but some have reported a benefit, likely because they and/or their group was borderline for attempting Prince gear-wise.

You should not disengage if there is any danger of you losing #1 on the threat list, or if your dps is forced to hold back due to your decreased threat. A prolonged fight means healers oom and more infernals to deal with.

Your threat generation will likely be reduced 30-40% if you disengage.

With good proactive healers and good gear, you really do not need to disengage. But if you are dying to a string of attacks, maybe it will help. Because the idea behind disengaging is to eliminate a random event (parry/thrash string) it may or may not ever come into play.
Yeti

Next

Return to Karazhan