Remove Advertisements

How to tank all four Hydross adds (both phases).

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Atlas » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:37 pm

Lorath wrote:Thanks for a good thread :)

I tank all 4 adds both phases and have about 483 defense plus a little resilience from S2 mace to reach uncrittable, with a hunter in party I have about 250 resistance both schools. The WWS parses put me at above 50% damage resisted and no crits.

This feels like a solid compromise and yields fairly consistent damage, no crit spikes and easy management for the healers. I usually pop a Wizard Oil + Spellpower Flask for extra oomph and our troubles are pretty much gone on him. :)

It is possible to reach a fair bit of resistance and remain uncrittable. :)
Maybe I can sandbox the gear I use if anyone is interested.

First, I love hearing that the post is useful! It took forever to write lol.

Second, in my set this week I mitigated 61% of Nature and 68% of Frost damage. I took only 4 crits the entire fight out of 184 hits. Because my resists were so high, the highest Nature crit was only 1916 and the highest Frost crit was only 1559.

Focusing on resistances is clearly superior. :wink: I bet you don't look as ugly as me, though.
Atlas

Postby kywirelessguy » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:48 am

Can you dodge the adds attacks?
kywirelessguy

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:48 pm

kywirelessguy wrote:Can you dodge the adds attacks?

Think of them as melee that ignores armor and shields. You can dodge and parry, just not block. And armor is irrelevant... only resistance matters.

http://wowdigger.com/character/view/27203#o4

^ my (planned) uncrittable resist-both set. 310 to both with auras and flask. I guess I could forego the uncrittable to get the last 45 to resist both, but I think it looks ok as it is.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Lorath » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:35 pm

Atlas wrote:First, I love hearing that the post is useful! It took forever to write lol.

Second, in my set this week I mitigated 61% of Nature and 68% of Frost damage. I took only 4 crits the entire fight out of 184 hits. Because my resists were so high, the highest Nature crit was only 1916 and the highest Frost crit was only 1559.

Focusing on resistances is clearly superior. :wink: I bet you don't look as ugly as me, though.

Very interesting! Sounds like I can swap to some stamina trinks without much risk :)
Dunno if I cba to get more resistance gear tho, I'm so sick of carrying around 5 tons of plate gear as it is, 4x 20slotters and still struggling :P

And don't worry, I be teh fugly too... Thankfully tabard and decent shoulders cover alot! Wildguard > Iceguard in looks ;)
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Faylinn » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:36 am

Is defense required? or just sta/resis/+spell?
Bouncelot 60 Human Paladin - StormScale
Faylinn

Postby Equitas » Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:33 am

Can this be done without resistance? Im talking about purely the adds here.
I am filled with Rage.... and cupcakes!!!
Of the Nightfall - Check
Twilight Vanquisher - Check
the Undying - Check
the Immortal - Missing
Equitas

Postby Staurol » Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:38 pm

Defense is useful because it makes it so the adds cannot crit you. If you don't have a ton of +resist to both schools, you're prolly better off remaining uncrittable. This can also be done with Resilience as that lowers the chance you will be crit as well.
You can call me Stroll
<Dirt Dogs> - Eredar
Staurol

Postby Petersen » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:02 am

The biggest piece of information that no one mentions: Can you or can you not block the "Adds' " attacks?

EDIT:

Rasmfrackn wrote:
kywirelessguy wrote:Can you dodge the adds attacks?

Think of them as melee that ignores armor and shields. You can dodge and parry, just not block. And armor is irrelevant... only resistance matters.

http://wowdigger.com/character/view/27203#o4

^ my (planned) uncrittable resist-both set. 310 to both with auras and flask. I guess I could forego the uncrittable to get the last 45 to resist both, but I think it looks ok as it is.

Okey, so maybe I didn't read anything but the first page, but is this right? They are totally unblockable? How do you maintain threat without Holy Shield? Just through Consecrate?

EDIT 2: Furthermore, replacing most of your gear with resistance gear has got to gimp your spellpower, and thusly your threat generation, as I understand it a raid wants to kill these adds ASAP, how, without Holy Shield and much spellpower gear, do you manage to hold threat against full raid DPS?
Last edited by Petersen on Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
¬The Original PalaTank, Petersen the Unbreakable
Tanking with a Paladin since before it was 'cool.'
Petersen

Postby Holyonion » Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:46 am

Quick question on AS. I've tanked the adds and killed him twice now but I'm alwasy scared if I use AS I'll hit Hydross and have him hurtling towards me as well as 4 adds and I got no chance of taking 4 adds AND Hydross. Do you ever find this happening or can your MT get enough threat quick enough for this not to be a problem.

I tried using HL spam but as mentioned before one mistimed HL can mess you up (luckily we still use a bear tank to catch any runners and bring em to me) FoL spamm seems ok as you got less time to wait. I generally however hit conc on two next to me and judge the one opposite, the bear picks up the 4th and brings him to me to take over, a quick taunt will ensure all 4 on me if there are any problems
Holyonion

Postby Rasmfrackn » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:14 am

Holyonion wrote:Quick question on AS. I've tanked the adds and killed him twice now but I'm alwasy scared if I use AS I'll hit Hydross and have him hurtling towards me as well as 4 adds and I got no chance of taking 4 adds AND Hydross. Do you ever find this happening or can your MT get enough threat quick enough for this not to be a problem.

I tried using HL spam but as mentioned before one mistimed HL can mess you up (luckily we still use a bear tank to catch any runners and bring em to me) FoL spamm seems ok as you got less time to wait. I generally however hit conc on two next to me and judge the one opposite, the bear picks up the 4th and brings him to me to take over, a quick taunt will ensure all 4 on me if there are any problems

We finally had all the tanks geared and tried Hydross on Monday. Killed him on the 4th try. :)

My GM doesn't like tankadin-specific strategies as we're learning, in case I can't make it one night (even though I have 95% attendance or so), so we actually had 1 person assigned to each add. The "old" hydross tank, 2 ferals, and me. I mostly just threw AS, dropped consecrate, and taunted off of them anyway. :) I was averaging 1500 taken per hit according to WWS, vs the 3000-4000 per hit from the other tanks.

I *did* pick up Hydross a couple of times, but he doesn't hit that much harder than the adds, actually, so taking a few while the mark is still at 0% isn't really a big deal. I'm just glad our 2 MTs have enough burst threat to take him back before too much consecrate + SA threat locks him in.

Okey, so maybe I didn't read anything but the first page, but is this right? They are totally unblockable? How do you maintain threat without Holy Shield? Just through Consecrate?

EDIT 2: Furthermore, replacing most of your gear with resistance gear has got to gimp your spellpower, and thusly your threat generation, as I understand it a raid wants to kill these adds ASAP, how, without Holy Shield and much spellpower gear, do you manage to hold threat against full raid DPS?

Yes, mainly consecrate. And JoR/SoR on 1 or 2 of them.

You're not really holding threat against full raid DPS, you're holding threat against AE DPS. It's a big difference, as AE damage is roughly as diffuse as consecrate threat is. As long as you get a head start, they generally can't surpass you before the adds are dead.

Even in resist gear, you're going to have a spelldamage weapon. That's 250+ right there. And you should probably be using wizard oil and a basilisk, so you're still going to be at 300+ instead of however much you normally have, which if you're working on hydross isn't going to be much higher than 450 or 500 at most anyway. I used a few pvp Lamellar pieces to keep me uncrittable, and those have reasonable spelldamage on them too.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Vanifae » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:41 am

When we do Hydross I usually tank all of the adds or at least try to. I wear a mixed resist set and use Frost Resistance aura to help the Frost tank and myself. I typically wait till the adds are about spawn I drop consecrate to catch two then I quickly target one that isn’t in the consecrate and throw my shield. I normally get those two or at least one, and then just taunt the last one and then drop another consecrate.

It isn’t full proof, but it works and makes for clean phases. I rarely worry about pulling Hydross we have Misdirect cycles for the tanks on Hydross; I usually have to chug a pot or two to maintain mana, but the adds are actually not all that bad to begin with, so if someone grabs one they can usually tank it as long as they utilize stuns and such.

I liken my role on this fight to just barely controlling chaos.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Holyonion » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:08 am

Great, I'll try HS next week then as I'm sure we'll go to kill him again now, hes too easy not to once you get the transitions right.

You posted about having to chug pots for mana, whenever I have done it before I just throw wisdom on Hydross after the adds are dead and starting whacking him till the MT calls for dps to stop, then I position myself for the adds. That keeps me pretty much on full mana up till the adds spawn, after that I get so much healing theres no way I could use all my mana
Holyonion

Postby Tunos » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:08 pm

Lokis wrote:I have had some Aggro issues, while tanking in resi gear..

Atm im tanking all 4 without any resis. Just Hunter/pala Aura. My Gear is
full Spelldmg gear. I have no Problems with staying alive, your Healers
should manage this.

Otherwise DDs are dead before saying "Hello Adds".

Lokis

I tank all 4 adds without a single piece of resist gear (though I'm being pressured to change this.

I just gear for max stamina, I get three healers and with 19k hp and a healthstone, health pot and LoH rarely die.

Honestly this is a fight where you can LoH yourself and not have to worry about sacrificing mana because you're going to get it all back as soon as the adds hit you again.

Another initial agro tip I've picked up on is to help heal your tank during the phase transition. Toss some HLs on the tank (not too many or you'll go OOM) save about 2k mana for your initial consecrate, judgement and taunt and you'll be fine once the mana starts flowing in.
Tunos

Postby Turkesh » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:17 pm

meh one youve done the fight a few times you see where he will shift and just stand in the tanks path as he moves concencrate as he shifts so its down as the adds spawn and pick up your aggro click on the furthest add from you and taunt if 1-3 add miss your concencrate your taunt will almost always get them because they seem to always want to go to the same person if taunt fails AS rinse and repeat
Turkesh

Postby vyskol » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:20 pm

For the record, while it's alluded to, I don't think anyone has out-right said it:

Holy Shield does nothing for this fight. You cannot block these attacks. Save your mana for Consecrate.

But excellent post. I've done this fight a number of times and still have problems grabbing all 4 adds on occasion.
vyskol

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern