Remove Advertisements

Tanking hawks on Dragonhawk boss

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Feawen » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:34 am

Worldie wrote:I've tried doing that. It worked but was very dangerous.

I basically popped spelldam trinket, consecration tanked every add, as soon as they were all out AoE nuked them, i bubbled quickly to cleanse buffs, then went other side, done same, i got oneshotted by the flame breath that came a couple of seconds after all hatchlings were dead. Was something like 20k+ damages.

Hatchers work like this: they free 1, then 2, then 4, then 8, then all the rest.
Wait until they free 4, then tell DPS to kill em. My ones usually get the hatcher to low HP already, so they oneshot them after they free 4 hatchlings. You basically get to tank 7, or sometimes 15. Tanking the whole side is absolutely not advisable, you would just die.

Stand on bottleneck bridge btw.

I have done this twice now. We hatch one whole side each time a hatcher pops. Kill one, I follow the other and stand behind him on the bridge. I JoR the first one, and then consecrate spam the rest. They stick to me like glue, even after I get ported to the middle, and then we AoE. I bubble out of debuff after first wave is dead, and then do it again for the other side. Now, having said this, I AM using this strat with 20K+ health and over 500 +Spell Dam. (Wizard Oil)
Feawen

Postby Invisusira » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:04 pm

I typically just spam cleanse on myself the moment I start getting the debuff, thru the whole first side, then the whole second side, then after they're all done I bubble out of it. Depending on how many AoErs we have, I'll have 50-100 debuffs left on me, all said and done.
Invisusira

Postby Ordin » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:50 pm

Here's how I do it. The warrior MTs, and I usually keep a mage or warlock on the boss at all times, both to keep some constant DPS on him and because their AOE out aggros me (especially mages).

When the adds pop, the DPS, 1 healer, and myself go to one platform (one of the DPS kills the hatcher on the opposite side), and we let about 1/2 the eggs hatch on that side before killing the add. It's important that everyone is actually one the platform, because it keeps you out of range of the fire breath from the boss.

I don't like hatching all the eggs, because we either get overwhelmed, teleported at a bad time, or the Flame Buffet stacks too much to be cleansed easily (I usually focus on cleansing, so the healers can focus on healing).

Usually takes 4 cycles to completely clear the eggs, which is about when the boss hits his first enrage timer, and is usually at about 50%. That gives us 5 minutes to burn him down before he goes berserk.
-Ordin
Seraph of Divine Retribution

http://drthrall.com

Ordin

Postby Aalryn » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:23 pm

Worldie wrote: i got oneshotted by the flame breath that came a couple of seconds after all hatchlings were dead. Was something like 20k+ damages.

Where some fire resist gear :) I put on just the badge resist pieces and I never get over 8 buffets. I've gotten flame breathed like this, full resist.
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby Rasmfrackn » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:46 pm

Thanks for the support that I could do all of one side at a time. Last time I tried it I was standing on the main platform, so it was pretty tenuous with the flame breaths and the teleports.

By bringing people with me to the egg platform, we were all safe from breathes and I could drop consecrate right on top of the birds before they had any other healing threat built up. We usually got teleported back before the birds were all dead, but not before they all got hatched, so they all just came straight for me which was fine and probably saved a little damage intake.

With just FR aura on I think I ended up with 30-something debuffs on the first side and maybe 10 on the second side. I didn't try relying on cleanse threat to hold them, but that sounds promising.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Far » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:44 am

Quick question:

do you think Blessing of Sanctuary would be beneficial here ?

or should I stick to Kings ?
Far

Postby Eloff » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:46 am

I swear that blizzard BUFFED the amount of fire damage these adds do when they put in the last patch. I used to be able to easily tank a whole side with 30+ debuffs and have no problem staying alive. Now the adds alone will kill me as I'll be getting hit with multiple 3-4k fire damage when I have that many debuffs.

We adjusted our strat to only kill half of each side per spawn. We push him close the the 35% / enrage mark and then wait for me to state that I'm ready for whatevers left on eggs.

I think stacking fire resist is really the way to go. I'm going to buy some plate badge gear and wear a combination of fire resist and +block rating. I think tanking a whole side at once will again be easy this way.

Somebody should WWS this fight. (Wow web stats) Just to show the percentage damage taken from the dragonhawk's melee versus the damage from their fire.
"With your shield or on it" - Spartan Code of Conduct

Eloff

Postby Pizbit » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:49 am

Far wrote:Quick question:

My guess would be to stick to kings for at least until you've got 16k HP without it.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Wakeman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:57 am

Be a real tankadin and tank all dragonhawks on side each time! 8)

Last night was our guild first attempt on dragonhawk boss. We downed it on the 4th attempt iirc. The raid leader originally told the dps to kill the hatcher after it released 5-6 dragonhawks. Somehow this did not happen. It released all the dragonhawks but I managed to keep all the dragonhawks on me. Thereafter the raider leader changed the strategy and told the dps not to kill one of the hatcher and let me tank all the dragonhawks on one side.

In fact, if you are used to AOE-tanking a lot, this is very easy. Just spamming consecretion and all the dragonhawks will stick to you. On the other hand, the fire bomb killed me several times until I finally realized how it works. After I got used to it, the whole fight became very easy.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Wakeman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:20 am

Far wrote:Quick question:

I tried both and did not noticed significant difference. Though I believe Sanct should help to reduce the totally damage taken and threat on the dragonhawks for this fight. But then I have 15k hp unbuffed and 19k hp with full raid buff and kings.
Image Fear my Bacon of Light!
Wakeman

Postby Questioner » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:01 am

I highly recommend that you clear one side with whatever you are comfortable with, then use the 35% automatic release to clear the entire other side. Grabbing aggro on the hawks is easiest when they come at once rather than staggered, and you do not have to tank birds while waiting for the hatcher to hatch them.

A few ticks of consecrate and call for aoe, you'll only recieve a few debuffs (because you aren't standing there with birds on you waiting) and you will have cleared a whole side at once.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Queycar » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:11 am

So we've done about an hour total of attempts on this guy. And i've mastered picking up the birds and holding them and not dying etc etc. The problem i'm having is how the hell do you see the bombs when you've got an entire side worth of birds around you? I keep dying to bombs that I can't see because there's birds over top of them.
Queycar

Postby Pizbit » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:17 am

Run backwards mostly, or run forward to a spot that you can see is clear and hope you get there in time.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Sthallas » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:45 am

Queycar wrote:So we've done about an hour total of attempts on this guy. And i've mastered picking up the birds and holding them and not dying etc etc. The problem i'm having is how the hell do you see the bombs when you've got an entire side worth of birds around you? I keep dying to bombs that I can't see because there's birds over top of them.

When you get ported, wait for a ring or 2 of bombs to be thrown out before you run back to the spot you want to tank the hawks. He throws the bombs out in concentric circles starting close and moving away and, since he only throws so many of them, if people stay close to him when he throws the 1st couple sets then there wont be as many bombs in the outer rings.
Sthallas

Postby Maranus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:03 am

I've done it without FR gear... I have FR gear, but have never actually used it here... usually we kill him, then it's like "hmmm that FR gear in my bags probably would have helped a bit."

We usually do 4 hatches on one side for the first go... this gives... 1+2+4+8 =15 hawks which is about or more then half the side... don't remember, but the next hatch would hatch all of them. Pick them up with consecrate at the bridge, AoE them down as quickly as possible, minimize flame buffeting. Next, get the rest of that first side, then do the same for the other side. Spam cleanse on yourself whenever you get a chance, and be ready to chain manapots to keep it up. If you have to, bubbling will remove the complete stack.
You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Maranus

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman