Remove Advertisements

Morogrim's Murlocs

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Nebuchadneza » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:55 pm

Agro from HoTs on the DPS?

Our guild uses Deadly Boss Mods so you can see the timers for every boss, and you get a countdown for the approximate time on the Murloc spawns. Our designated Warlock lifetaps literally to 1 health and we stand well away from the raid group out of range from the tidal wave thing and watery graves. I start prepping heals for when they spawn and I heal the warlock (who is lifetapping the entire time though the heals) until the murlocs are right in front of me.

Make sure your Warlock has the following buffs: Fel Armour, Blessing of Light, Amplify Magic and even group with a Druid close enough to give that Tree aura thing they have.

Salv all your healers.

With my Healing items (Weapon, Shield and Libram) I am hitting close to 1k +heals, but if you force your DPS to stop as soon as the Murlocs spawn, you might have more success. I don't normally gain aggro warnings until the third heal, but remember your overheals are useless so the Warlock must keep lifetapping until you no longer need to heal him.

Make sure though the Lock doesn't get caught inside the murloc packs when he starts seeding, but runs out of the group since we have had a few issues with him dying through bad luck (I guess from pulling agro when he should wait. I don't think they cleave or anything but they just might lol)

We tank Tidewalker in the doorway heading to Karathress. My position with the Warlock and two healers is to the far left of the ramp (still up top) and in an alcove. (Stand in that doorway and look at Tidewalker and run around to the left as far as you can go before running off the ramp to the second level)

From this position both packs hit me at exactly the same time and that could be your problem since you said you can't get more than two heals off and the second pack comes later. It's as simple as getting the positioning right for you I think. :)
Nebuchadneza

Postby Atlas » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:56 pm

Rei,

EDIT ----------------------------------------

It says I'm averaging 49% overheal. Maybe my warlock isn't lifetapping hard enough.

Bingo.

EDIT ----------------------------------------

Your spell damage is fine. Stand to the side outside of Morogrim's watery grave range, cast holy light twice on your life tap warlock, and throw a couple flashes of light for good measure.

Have your warlock stand behind you at all times (so he doesn't get graved) and ask him to (1) wear his pvp gear and (2) tap to ~20% health. Make sure nobody else heals him.

The Murlocks will run right to you every time. Pop Consecrate (Rank 6) and have your dps AoE them immediately. It's so easy it makes the fight a joke. There's no reason to have any other tanks involved with the murlocks.

The only way a priest could pull aggro from you is if he's spamming his biggest heals. Begin by asking him and other healers to use normal or flash heals when the murlocks first spawn. If that's not enough, try swapping in a Paladin or Druid tank for Morogrim himself (the damage will be more consistent and rarely require big "oh shit" heals). If that's still not enough, well, I don't believe you. ;-)

PS. There's no need to use healing items for this fight. The method is incredibly effective with your normal AoE / block set.[/quote]
Atlas

Postby Ilara » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:12 am

we have the entire raid stack up just behind moro and I grab the first lot coming from the higher area (where we tank him) first, and then wait for the ones from other side to come after the healers and grab them too. remember to put the better half of the cons on that side so they go through it first and it picks up aggro pretty easy.

give it a few ticks and then call down the rain, we AoE the lot, moro and the murlocs. rinse and repeat.

I find I dont lose anyone this way.
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:43 am

Been having a problem with this fight.

For phase one, I'm stood at the bottom of the ramp to the left, with my pet Warlock lifetapping (we normally have the Lock who specced SL/SL for Leo on this job since his DPS will generally be the lowest). Itworks like a dream. Three Holy Lights and I have all the aggro I need on the Murlocs (especially if the priests have remembered not to put PoM on the tank after the quake).

In phase two at 30%, however, we turn the boss 90 degrees to the left and the entire raid moves into the north corridor. This causes many problems as you can imagine. The Murlocs from the north arrive after 1-2 Holy Lights and by the time the southern Murlocs get here, they've generally picked up some healing aggro.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Gracerath » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:55 am

Not sure if you run with a resto shaman or not but having earth shield procs on you helps quite a bit for securing aggro on the late murloc pack. Otherwise your healers just have to keep it light until the second pack comes. Also I try to drop consecrates at the entrance of the hallway and have the healers stand on the opposite side farther up the hallway. That way even if they do aggro some murlocs, they have to run through the consecrate and that helps snag aggro over them.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:15 am

Yeah, I was running the fight over in my head after posting this and what you suggest seems to be the best idea. I'll give that a go next week.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Dehn » Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:26 am

Ilara wrote:we have the entire raid stack up just behind moro and I grab the first lot coming from the higher area (where we tank him) first, and then wait for the ones from other side to come after the healers and grab them too. remember to put the better half of the cons on that side so they go through it first and it picks up aggro pretty easy.

give it a few ticks and then call down the rain, we AoE the lot, moro and the murlocs. rinse and repeat.

I find I dont lose anyone this way.

Thats how I tank it as well.. I go to the tanks side and put down a consecration.. take a step back to the rest of the group...

then murlocs eat 1-2 ticks otw to me.. and the next group eats a full consecration..

and when all are on me (2-3 ticks into the other group reaching us), I call for "spam your aoe madly."
Dehn

Postby Atlas » Fri Jan 25, 2008 11:36 pm

Ulushnar wrote:Been having a problem with this fight.

For phase one, I'm stood at the bottom of the ramp to the left, with my pet Warlock lifetapping (we normally have the Lock who specced SL/SL for Leo on this job since his DPS will generally be the lowest). Itworks like a dream. Three Holy Lights and I have all the aggro I need on the Murlocs (especially if the priests have remembered not to put PoM on the tank after the quake).

In phase two at 30%, however, we turn the boss 90 degrees to the left and the entire raid moves into the north corridor. This causes many problems as you can imagine. The Murlocs from the north arrive after 1-2 Holy Lights and by the time the southern Murlocs get here, they've generally picked up some healing aggro.

You should be tanking him in the same spot and position the entire fight. Head into the room, skirt to Morogrim's right up the ramp. You stand in one of the side nitches right by the ramp, your DPS stands to the left of that pillar, and your tank stands at that doorway with morogrim facing to the side.

Hope that helps!
Atlas

Postby Shadowhamer » Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:47 am

Hmm for this fight we do this:

We come up the left side wall. Then raid position itself to kill Tide.

I stand with 4 aoe's on the side we came up on, (left side of tunnel)

When earthquakes happens, or few sec before(dbm has countdown) I use HL with my RF up of course. We have a Lock in the AOE group that has Life tap down. So now my healing basically gets all of the healing agro.

The murlocs from both sides run directly to me. I lay down conc, and start the aoe machine. Rinse and repeat.

Things that can go wrong:

Someone salv's u mid fight
You forget to turn on RF.
Your healer does not heal you.
Lock forgets to Life Tap.

In thi fight I use spellfood, or sometimes a wizzard oil. In truth I do not really have to now, as my SD is at 456 unbuffed. W usually drop me from the MT group and toss me in the group with a SPriest for mana.

If you use this strat, you will never get watery graved, and your raid dps and healers should be fine.
Evil does not fight fair, so nor do I

For he who dares !
Shadowhamer

Postby NarfJones » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:24 pm

We got him to 25% last night on our second night of attempts. We've been having issues with out tanks staying alive because of crushing blows. The murlocs weren't really an issue once everyone understood that you can stand inside other people. Here's how I handled the murlocs.

1. Go to heal warlock
2. warlock gets watery graved
3. heal a random party member that most likely didnt need it
4. drop my consecration just in time in front
5. turn around and shield the southern pack of murlocs
7. Profit
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:44 pm

We're just getting into SSC and got lurker down last night and cleared to morogrim to get a feel for the trash.

I ran around the outside of the room to understand the layout.. but I'm still not getting how it works to keep the AE group out of grave range/los. If we go up the left side, say, and my AE group stands in one of the alcoves, would they then pull morogrim to the far alcove? do we need to do something with the top/bottom of the ramp, or is the width of the room enough to keep us safe from graves? What happens when it changes from graves to globs?

-- After re-reading page 2 it sounds like this approach would put morogrim in the north corridor opening area, and I'd be in an alcove near the ramp, either side... whichever is farther from him. Seems easy enough. ;) Is that far enough from the graves to avoid globs as well? Or would I have to reposition closer to him for the last 25%?
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby jere » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:02 pm

Rasmfrackn wrote:We're just getting into SSC and got lurker down last night and cleared to morogrim to get a feel for the trash.

I ran around the outside of the room to understand the layout.. but I'm still not getting how it works to keep the AE group out of grave range/los. If we go up the left side, say, and my AE group stands in one of the alcoves, would they then pull morogrim to the far alcove? do we need to do something with the top/bottom of the ramp, or is the width of the room enough to keep us safe from graves? What happens when it changes from graves to globs?

-- After re-reading page 2 it sounds like this approach would put morogrim in the north corridor opening area, and I'd be in an alcove near the ramp, either side... whichever is farther from him. Seems easy enough. ;) Is that far enough from the graves to avoid globs as well? Or would I have to reposition closer to him for the last 25%?

We typically sneak behind him, place the MT in the FLK hallway, have a hunter MD pull to the MT while I run past Morogrim and go stand right where he was standing before the pull. With Morogrim in the entrance to the FLK tunnel and my group down in the middle, we outrange the graves.

When globules come, we move up to Tidewalker's feet and fight there. The globules stop right before getting to us.

Here is a (boring) video of one of our attempts. I pan around at the beginning so you can see where morogrim is. At around time 7:30, globules come if you want to skip to that part to see what happens.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi9s_z9pNTk

Ignore the silly druid that pops Tranquility near the end while the murlocs are coming...consequently, he also tries to heal my token lifetapping warlock lol.
jere

Postby YoYoMa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:17 pm

you may find this thread somewhat confusing because I think everybody has their own positioning twist and they all work more or less :P Personally, I like having TW tanked away from any potential path that murlocs will run through. Just i case somebody hits something that swipes at them as they run by. I also like a position for myself that is equidistant between the two packs of murlocs so that they get to me at the same time. Lastly you just need to be far enough away that you aren't getting graved. So however you set that up, is up to you but those are the general thouhts with what you are looking to do.

Just find what works best for your group, there are several ways to set it up.
YoYoMa

Postby bubblecannon » Tue Jan 29, 2008 5:36 pm

IMHO easiest way to do morogrim is as follows:

Tank Moro in the NE corner (tank in corner, moro facing tank so back exposed to melee).

Have all your ranged stay max range from moro (roughly in the doorway).

You and a holy priest (the tomb healer-CoH priest works beautifully here) stand 45 yds away (just outside of tomb range). Holy priest doesn't have BoSalv.

We stick the holy priest in with the locks, as soon as an earthquake happens, holy priest cracks of a big PoH, flash heals a few mobs, and waits for aggro.

Our hunters put freeze slowing traps around the priest and me, as murlocs rush in, I consecrate, priest fades (Fade is uber) - and heals me. Locks all turn around and spam 3-4 seed of corruptions, mages drop flamestrikes, dead murlocs in a few seconds. They swap around and keep doing dps.
(Note: don't -ever- use frost nova on a faded priest - all bad)

Priest also drops a renew on each person as they come back up from graves and they all use a bandage when they get graved.

At the 25% pt, exactly the same basically. Raid moves moro into the tunnel on right hand side, hunters keep the traps out, priest and I stay on left hand side. Rinse repeat. As long as your priest knows where there fade button is it's all win.

Turns the fight into a joke.

Regarding gear. IMHO go for a full block rating/block value set - stamina is pretty worthless. I run with the auto block and the heal-on-block trinket (forget the name) and sit at around 75% passive miss/dodge/parry/block and 620BV. Keep walking backwards to make sure mobs are all in front of you and use a trinket if you need it. Both autoblock and the other turn turn you into 'god mode'. (ie. you start completely blocking most attacks)

Doing this allows our healers to focus on the MT and heal the raid the whole time (don't have to worry about letting a particular person gain healing threat).
bubblecannon

Postby QuantumDelta » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:55 pm

Really, do the healing agro bit yourself.

Outta tomb range, (the middle of the room is best) life tapping warlock.

25%?
Go stand on the raid which is stacked up by the boss at the door where the bubbles can't reach, all you need is to get healing agro on the first set of murlocs, ES/ProM/Lifebloom+Consecration will do the rest for the second set, have the DPS hold off on AoE until both sets are on you.

NPZ
QuantumDelta

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern