Botanica - Freywinn/Thorngrin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Botanica - Freywinn/Thorngrin

Postby Beltaine » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:30 am

Didn't even make it to Laj or Warp Splinter...

We had myself, a rogue, a dps war, mage, and a tree.

Freywinn kicked our ass 3 times. I'm not really even sure how. We decided to pass him up and move on.

We get to Thorngrin and the same happens.

I read through both encounters and we were doing what we all felt was correct.

Were we just not geared enough, or missing a key strategy?
<insert armory sig here>
<witty comment here>
Beltaine

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:46 am

How did you try to kill Freywynn and Thorngrin? Personally, I loS the adds the moment he shifts, and we take them down in whatever way we can.
the Tender...melee has it hard on this fight, he resets aggro at almost freaking special attack he does, so I saev my judgement and exorcism for when he uses them, and try to keep him under consecration all the time.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:51 am

Frenwynn - Everybody, and I mean everybody, has to duck out of LoS and kill the adds he spawns as soon as he goes tree.

Thorngrim - Heal through the Sacrifices, and watch for the aggro reset after them. Also, melee should get out of range during the fire aoe.

A melee-heavy group is gonna struggle with both, and a tree druid's going to have to stay out of tree if it creates mobility problems.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Beltaine » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:00 am

For Freywinn, the healer was first to go every time. I'm not sure if he just wasn't positioning himself correctly or I wasn't getting aggro, or both.

In hindsight, a BoP might've fixed that

We only attempted Thorngrin once as everyone was pretty much tired at that point. I loaded FR aura and a FR potion. I think everyone else got smacked by the AoE. At this point healer may have tried to heal other folks and that's when I went down.

This was my first time there, and I think everyone else was green on it as well.
<insert armory sig here>
<witty comment here>
Beltaine

Postby Erutaron » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:15 am

Beltaine wrote:For Freywinn, the healer was first to go every time. I'm not sure if he just wasn't positioning himself correctly or I wasn't getting aggro, or both.

In hindsight, a BoP might've fixed that

We only attempted Thorngrin once as everyone was pretty much tired at that point. I loaded FR aura and a FR potion. I think everyone else got smacked by the AoE. At this point healer may have tried to heal other folks and that's when I went down.

This was my first time there, and I think everyone else was green on it as well.

For Freywinn, your healer should be out of Tree Form so he is more mobile, EVERYONE needs to LoS the adds as soon as they spawn and AoE them down.

For Thorngrin, no one else should be getting hit by the the Hellfire except you and melee, and they should be running out as soon as he starts casting. Melee will take 2 ticks of hellfire at most and can be topped off with a renew/rejuv
Erutaron

Postby Amirya » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:36 am

I've never had a problem with either of these.

Freywinn: I always tanked him at the base of the bridge on "our" side, right between the pillars. Healer was positioned so that two steps one way would put me in LoS, and two steps the other way was out of LoS. When he goes tree, run around out of LoS, go Consecrate-Happy, and let your casters go AoE happy. Rinse, repeat. *Note: I HATE those freezing little plants.

Tender: I tanked him in the middle of the room, with the healer on the dais where Thorngrin first stands. Casters and hunters are spread out, melee is with me. Fire Resist Aura on, and when he starts hellfiring, I stay in the fire to tank his ass while the melee runs out. Exorcism, Consecrate, AS if you really want, and otherwise mop the floor with him.

(Btw, when you get to Laj, just tank him on his little pedestal. He likes to teleport back up there, and if you're already there, he's cake.)

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Wulfhere » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:15 am

On Freywinn, make sure to have someone take down the small adds he spawns (these are in addition to the healing ones he spawns). Make sure you pick them up with consecrate, otherwise your healer is dead. They have few hp, but do nasty things. If you don't have decent dps, you won't kill him.

For Tender, save Exorcism CD for after the sacrifice when he does an aggro reset.
Wulfhere

Postby Pizbit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:50 am

If I have more than 1 other melee besides myself I'll nearly always skip thorngrin and always will in heroic, just not worth the pain. I prefer ranged DPS for him as it allows them to continue DPS while hellfire is going on instead of wasting time running in/out. It also lets me stay in with the hellfire depending on the healer if I'm the only melee.

I prefer to take a rogue as my 1 melee simply because wound poison is just OP vs Freywinn and Warp Splinter.
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby Beltaine » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:06 am

I'll have to ask my rogue about wound poison. He's in my guild and we're running a lot of the same instances and quests together for the gear.

I think I also need to work on being more aware of things going on in boss fights, I was so worried about trying to keep aggro and my hotkey rotation that I kind of got tunnel vision.

I'm still learning, and this has really been my first setback since playing Tankadin.
<insert armory sig here>
<witty comment here>
Beltaine

Postby Pizbit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:08 am

Best is to have the rogue put wound poison on his OH and shiv to get it to 5 stack and keep it there. At a stack of 5 it reduces healing by 50% which is a HUGE equivelent in DPS!
Pizbit

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:50 am

Freywinn has some kind of cheating button that clears all his debuffs >.>
Maybe I didn't pay attention and they really just wore off.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Lalecize » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:29 pm

On freywin drop a consecrate when the ads appear and bolt round the corner, everyone should follow you, dps the ads, then back on him.

Tank him inbetween the two pillars, he stays still when the ads are summoned.

For Thorgrin, work it with your healer. I personally stand in the middle of the room, with the healer off to one of the sides. You want the healer out of LoS of him so they dont get sacrificed, but in Los of you.
Dps him down hard, and you'll be fine. As the tank pop fire resist aura, and stay in during the hellfire.
Lalecize

Postby Pizbit » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:08 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:Freywinn has some kind of cheating button that clears all his debuffs >.>

Most likely the poisons wore off.
Pizbit

Postby blessyou » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:35 am

Pizbit wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:Freywinn has some kind of cheating button that clears all his debuffs >.>

Most likely the poisons wore off.

The debuffs do, in fact, clear (not wear off) during his tranquility.
blessyou

Postby Eanin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:00 am

Thorgrin, just save Exorcism and Avenger's Shield for the aggro wipe. One-two punch brings him back every single time.

For Freywinn, it might be a gear issue. If you can't DPS him or the adds down fast enough, he'll simply never die.
Eanin

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics