8/8 gold WoD CM as prot pally

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

8/8 gold WoD CM as prot pally

Postby Razeoflight » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:51 pm

Hey guys im thinking to go for gold CMs soon.
Since my main has been a tankadin for years and years obviously i would like to do it on that.
But every where i go its fucking blood dks everywhere, like take a look at the leaderboards on wowprogress its just disgusting.
However in between an army of blood dks there are a few pallys that show up, which makes me believe it is doable as a tankadin.
And i sort of have the mentality of well they can do it i can do it sorta thing.

But i was hoping that some of u guys here attempted this as well maybe even some successfully 8/8gold.
Would like to get some of your thoughts, tips, tricks or anything helpful.

obviously i wont be going for realm or world first times but just the 8/8gold for the achievements and transmog.
Last edited by Razeoflight on Sun Jan 18, 2015 4:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Razeoflight

Re: 9/9 gold WoD CM as prot pally

Postby Thaumatrope » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:49 am

Heh I'm in the same boat.

Not to sound too bitter, but whenever searching for CM guides/videos, I've had to sift past countless DK videos where they say "Ok for this part, it's no big deal if you're a DK, just X/Y/Z" and they do some outrageous tactic that bypasses all the difficulty. Frustrating!

I've been making some CM attempts since the Seraphim nerf and it definitely hurt there – some larger pulls are much more dangerous now. I'm currently working on Auchindoun. My group was about 15 seconds shy of getting gold before the nerf, and afterwards... well, we actually wiped. A few times. :(

But I'm sure we just have to adapt. I don't really have any advice, just... the same overall observations that it's perfectly doable. Not that I've done it yet.
Thaumatrope

Re: 8/8 gold WoD CM as prot pally

Postby Nathrin » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:16 am

Hey guys,

I've done the CMs on my Prot Pally, let me know if you have any specific questions. Talents/glyphs/pulls etc.
Nathrin

Postby Thaumatrope » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:53 pm

Nathrin wrote:Hey guys,

I've done the CMs on my Prot Pally, let me know if you have any specific questions. Talents/glyphs/pulls etc.

What group makeup did you go with?

With that group, how would you rank the CMs in order of difficulty?

I'm about to get back into full swing of CMs with Myself (tankadin), Resto sham, warlock, hunter, and a DK. (Hooray, a DK! The golden ticket)
Thaumatrope

Postby Nathrin » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:51 am

We had:
Prot Pally
Resto Druid
DPS Warrior (Started as Gladiator, went Fury after the nerfs, then went Arms for the stronger aoe)
Combat Rogue
Surv Hunter

Difficulty (Easiest to Hardest):
Shadowmoon Burial Grounds
Iron Docks
Bloodmaul Slag Mines
Auchindoun
Grimrail Depot
Skyreach
Everbloom
Upper Blackrock Spire

If anyone browses the WoW subbreddit you may have seen the post from our Rogue: http://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/2r ... d_no_dk_2/
I list out some info in there, so it might be worth the read. Otherwise, I can answer anything here. Just ask, and I will answer to the best of my ability.
Nathrin

Postby Taeron » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:03 pm

I'd love to know anything you can share ... Which talents and did you switch them for any particular dunguons. Glyphs? How did you handle AoE CCs, if at all? Is it similar to MoP where trash packs hurt and bosses are mostly resting period?

Going eventually with priest healer, rest as is. Might be melee heavy but from your composition it doesn't seem problematic.

Thanks!
Taeron

Postby Nathrin » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:24 pm

Talents
Pursuit of Justice
Fist of Justice
Sacred Shield
Unbreakable Spirit
Sanctified Wrath
Light's Hammer
Holy Shield

I understand all the theorycraft behind Seraphim and how it is a superior talent at 100, but I hate the playstyle, so i've stuck with Holy Shield. Glyphs were Divine Protection, Final Wrath, and Alabaster Shield. Our group comp had extremely weak aoe CC, pretty much just Shockwave, and sometimes Binding Shot if I moved away from the pack. I was mostly face tanking everything, chaining mine and others defensive CDs and hoping my DPS could cleave everything down on the extremely large pulls.

I would say yes, that it's similar to MoP where trash is the main damage source, but bosses are no joke either. It felt like bosses hit a bit harder on me, but for aoes/"don't stand in bad" mechanics they will kill your DPS pretty quick.

One of the nice things about Prot Pally is that you have 3 Oh Shit healing buttons that will heal you to full: Health Pot with high resolve, 5 Stack BoG 3HP WoG, and LoH.

Farm lots of Frostweed for Armor Potions, as you will be using a ton.

Let me know if I can help with anything else.
Nathrin

Postby Worldie » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:27 pm

Seraphim is only effective if you can follow the rotation perfectly and bank holy power as required. If one finds himself having to constantly pay attention to his surrounding, cd rotation, ccs and whatnot and is missing several times in his rotation, Holy Shield is actually more DPS / better TMI than Seraphim since it's completely passive.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby theckhd » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:48 am

Worldie wrote:Seraphim is only effective if you can follow the rotation perfectly and bank holy power as required. If one finds himself having to constantly pay attention to his surrounding, cd rotation, ccs and whatnot and is missing several times in his rotation, Holy Shield is actually more DPS / better TMI than Seraphim since it's completely passive.

Most of the people who were completing gold CM in the first few weeks were using Seraphim+HA for the massive burst potential. In a lot of the instances you can shave off a large amount of time by pulling a lot of trash and popping Sera+HA+cooldowns and burning it all down with crazy high AoE DPS. Especially in CMs, the DPS gap between Seraphim and Holy Shield is significant.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Nathrin » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:13 am

Pretty much exactly what Worldie said with regards to Seraphim and me. Not liking the play style probably didn't help my effectiveness when I was trying it out. I just prefer Holy Shield, if you can manage Seraphim, then yes, go for it. I do enjoy sitting at ~45% block chance though.
Nathrin

Postby MasterNewt » Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:03 am

With not much else to do, we're thinking of finally giving CMs a try. I was thinking of using the stat reroll item on my crafted gear to perhaps roll in optimal stats on the 5 pieces lying in the bank, but I'm not too sure which way to go.

I think I'd run CMs with Seraphim/DS (or Seraphim/HA), unless it turns out that drastically lower haste makes gaps of downtime too big - then I'd probably go Holy Shield like the OP suggested. Any thoughts on this from recent CM victors?

Main question then - which two stats should I hunt for when rerolling gear specifically for CMs? Haste/mastery was my best bet, unless Crit would be more valuable at that level than mastery?

Thank you!
MasterNewt

Postby Razeoflight » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:27 pm

well finally got it done recently, took me a few evenings.
with a far from ideal group comp and lacking off specs!
we went with myself a prot pally, holy pally, MM/BM hunter, ele shaman and we didnt have a solid 5th so on some runs we had a combat rogue on others a 2d hunter or a frost mage.

i took Worldie's advice on holy shield as im on the same mindset and its just a nice set and forget passive that is a solid defensive option for tanking groups of mobs/casters.
as for the rest of my talent setup i went with speed of light,fist of justice, sacred shield, unbreakable spirit, holy avenger, lights hammer.
generally im a big fan of divine purpose and its my go to talent but for CMs its to random im afraid.
can see holy prism being alright for CMs as well but lights hammer does so much dmg in aoe situations its to good to pass up on.
for my trinkets i used evergaze arcane eidolon and Tablet of Turnbuckle Teamwork (macro this badboy to holy avenger).
generally run a mastery/haste build for CMs i dropped some mastery in favor of haste.
dont bother with Libram of Vindication btw it would be an awesome trinket if it worked but ilvl scaling hits this trinket very hard procs below 13%HP or something :P

a special mention goes to our hunter for using Mirror of the Blademaster the trinket from Hellfire High Council this trinket is ridiculously OP in CMs and will buy u a lot of time.

we watched/followed the guides asmongold did for WoD CMs as he generally takes the most safe and risk free route's through the CMs
here is a link if you are interested https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 1fay5Lwj67

and yea dont rly know what else to say its all rather doable nowadays just play well dont be stingy with cooldown usage and keep up the pace
Razeoflight

Return to General