First timer at void reaver

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

First timer at void reaver

Postby aybarra » Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:10 am

So, yesterday after nuking down High king (My first time fulltanking the dude Jiihaa) we thought we had way to much melee to go on gruul so it was either call it the day or try something new. We went TK for the first time ever. 2 tanks (me and a druid) and started clearing trash. Trash was much easier than I thought and we got to the trash surrounding void rever without a wipe, then we got unlucky and had o rogue get an knockback flying in to another group and we did the first wipe. Probably should have taken em back in the "hallway" in to void, but anyway. We had to call it the day since most of us are working/have school today.
Since it went so well with the trash we are going for another shot tonight.

I would like an advise on some pieces of my gear. Ive read around here and some people say he hits like a sissy and you can sacrifice some crushing to get your SD up, some say he hits pretty hard. Me personally I dont like going in crushable for a fight so I think I stay uncrushable.

Ive lowered my defense to a point under 490 (still uncrittable) because I have the merciless shield and the S1 mace and Im uncrushable with a pot or druid buff (with only kings I have 0,03 chance of getting crusched).

The pieces I can change that wont affect my def would be 1 trinket and the shield. I have the shield from nightbane and a trinket I think I could go out before the raid and just do a quest to get. Problem is I will loose a lot of stamina and about 1k armour. Is it worth it?

Armoury dont work but im currently at 350 SD unbuffed (in full tank gear), I think I'll probably use flask of blinding light, SD food and oil. will that be enough or should I aim for changing the trinket/shield loosing HP?
Problem is we are trying this with 2 tanks and Ill be going in first and really would like to hold him as long as possible.
aybarra

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:00 am

I usually do this fight with a set of gear that allows me to be crushed but on VR he does not hit hard enough to warrant max mitigation and in fact I like having the mana I will get from heals to stay top threat.

Tanking this fight is pretty simple and I don't think it requires a full uncrushable mitigation set, just make sure you are uncrittable and have a good amount of health and spell damage.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Pallypete » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:22 am

I donno, I've tanked him and I'm pretty well geared, but I don't think there's any reason to go below uncrushable. For one, you run the risk of having him switch to you as his target and it'll take a couple of seconds for the healers to switch and start healing you full time. Having damage from a pounding then get a couple unlucky crushes and he could still squish you. Having said that, wizard oil + flask of blinding light + SD food, and he should stick to you for most of the fight, especially if you're the first tank to get hit.
Pallypete

Postby jere » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:26 am

For those times when he isn't on you I find the Nethergon Energy Bottles (mana) and Dark Runes to help. I would bring a stack of each of those as well. They are on separate cooldowns (potion and healthstone), so you can use both if you run into a tight spot. An alternative is also destruction potions at the beginning so that you can get a nice burst of threat.
jere

Postby YoYoMa » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:56 am

Yeah if you are only going in with 2 tanks make sure you get a bunch of spell damage. Get your flask oil and spell food. And as jere said, popping destruction potions are a nice boost too when timed with wings. Also when you get knocked down and the other tank picks up aggro, get the hunters to MD to you to help boost you back up.
YoYoMa

Postby Vanifae » Tue Jan 22, 2008 2:23 pm

Pallypete wrote:I donno, I've tanked him and I'm pretty well geared, but I don't think there's any reason to go below uncrushable. For one, you run the risk of having him switch to you as his target and it'll take a couple of seconds for the healers to switch and start healing you full time. Having damage from a pounding then get a couple unlucky crushes and he could still squish you. Having said that, wizard oil + flask of blinding light + SD food, and he should stick to you for most of the fight, especially if you're the first tank to get hit.

This is a risk I am willing to take considering that a crushing blow does maybe 5-6k and I have usually 18k minimum on the encounter I weigh my odds.

I have not died yet, and yeah I could do it uncrushable I like pushing aggro to the limit.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby aybarra » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:22 pm

Didnt get the shot on him due to only 3 healers logged in. But I tried to mix up my spelldamage gear and got to 469SD unbuffed but that lowered my HP to 14k with kings. thats like 2k less than I have in full tank gear with 350SD unbuffed. At least I stayed uncrittable and uncrushable.
We have to give it a shot this weekend.
aybarra

Return to Tempest Keep