Hots...no not that Hots [Heroes of the Storm]

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Hots...no not that Hots [Heroes of the Storm]

Postby bldavis » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:50 pm

Starting a thread for the at this point up and coming Blizzard MOBA - Heroes of the Storm

Currently in Technical Alpha, this is a place we can discuss Heroes, strats for the maps, ask questions for those in the alpha/beta
and any other random trolling ...i mean discussion (cause we NEVER troll on MTadin...right guys?...uh..guys? *crickets*)

I am currently in the tech alpha, if there is a hero you are interested in, i would be happy to try it out when i can, but please note i am a MOBA noob, so if you actually know wtf you are doing, your experience may vary sli..massively :D

Any one else in the alpha? :D

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Hots...no not that Hots [Heroes of the Storm]

Postby Gab » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:31 pm

I'm not in the alpha but the coverage on the game I have seen so far (various streamers, mostly Kripp) leaves me more than a little skeptical. I see nothing truly new or innovative and would argue that mechanically and with regard to depth are dumbed down in comparison to other MOBAs. I understand that it's early alpha and all but the graphics also look extremely dated and the gameplay unresponsive.

Again, I understand that this game is in early Alpha. But as a veteran MOBA player, including early stages of DOTA, LoL and DOTA2 both since since closed beta as well as a long time Blizzard Fanyboy (RoS will be the first PC title I didn't purchase at or before launch), I can say that I'm really not interested at the moment... Early stages of alpha so there's still hope.

However I'm going to err on the skeptical side. In the past 2 or so years I have cancelled a long time(mid BC)WOW sub, Played Diablo 3 for 3 months and quickly dismissed Hearthstone.

Diablo 3... This was supposed to be the successor to Diablo 2, a game that I played for nearly 3 years as a teen. I have had an infinitely better experience playing Path of Exile and still play PoE off and on after 2 years, some of that time including closed/open beta i.e. not a polished version. From my perspective, an "indie" game from a small company from NEW ZEALAND is superior to a Blizzard game in every conceivable aspect (except for aesthetics)...

As for HS I was extremely disappointed, I Played MTG for several years including some amateur level competitive play (PTQs, GPQs) but nothing too crazy and enjoy games of all kinds that contain complex mechanics, games where understanding and utilizing those mechanics affords a significant advantage over not. You'll find none of that, relatively speaking, in HS and can even nap during your opponent's turns... enjoy!

Sorry... rant over, train back on track...

TLDR: Looks lame so far and there is the possibility of me being a little jaded.
Gab

Postby bldavis » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:47 pm

oh it is def dumbed down ..

if you are a hardcore player of other MOBAs, this probably wont be the game for you
if you are like me and cant get into a moba without wanting to put your fist through your monitor within 2 hours...this is the game
much less stressful not having to worry about last hitting, item builds, personal levels

its just like hearthstone was MTG for the masses, this is the MOBA for the masses
dumbed down compared to a lot of other games in teh genre, but fun and easy...ier to play

as for D3, i only played in the beta, my rig didnt run it that well, so i never got the actual game, plus the whole AH thing turned me off
but from what i am hearing from guildies who are hardcore ARPG players, the 2.0 changes are nice and brings D3 closer to what it should be as a D2 sequel..
though PoE is fun as hell too! :D

so..
tl:dr - its a blizzard product..simple, but fun.
if you already play other games in the genre, you prob wont like it, but if you dont currently and like this style of game, this could be a good starting point

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Gab » Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:49 pm

Yup. Different strokes, just don't think they line up well with mine. Was feeling froggy so thought I'd share my impressions.
Gab

Postby Koatanga » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:04 pm

Not to off-track this thread too far, but the fundamental problem with Diablo III was the AH, and that's now gone. Back are the days of pecking at the piano keys hoping for corn rather than just buying the best gear. It'll take 3 years to become as well-equipped as you could in 3 months with the AH, so it should have some longevity now.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Skye1013 » Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:33 am

bldavis wrote:if you are like me and cant get into a moba without wanting to put your fist through your monitor within 2 hours...this is the game

ARAMs went a hell of a long way for me in combatting the "fist through monitor" desires... it's just about the only format I play (other than vs AI, when I just feel like kicking some AI ass.)

I've tried DOTA 2 and Infinite Crisis... neither holds the appeal that LoL does (I don't like the maps in IC, otherwise I might feel differently.)

A big part of it is the fact that I'm actually accustomed to what the items do and which chars want which stats. Sadly, that alone makes moving to another MOBA next to impossible.

bldavis wrote:much less stressful not having to worry about last hitting, item builds, personal levels

What do you mean? Have they removed minions/items/levels? What exactly IS in this game? Is it more about player skill / champ rock/paper/scissors as opposed to "I got lucky in the early levels so can now faceroll you the rest of the game"?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:08 pm

there are minions and levels
but no items..the item bonus effects are baked into talents you choose as you level
so no last gold to worry about, thus no need to worry about last hitting for said gold

the levels are team levels, and as long as someone is in a lane, your entire team gets XP from that lane's minions
you also get XP from clearing/capping merc (aka jungle) camps
so yes, there is no i got lucky in the early game, ergo i am able to snowball and be unkillable by level 7
very back and forth, esp on some maps (pirate one and the haunted mines one come to mind)
it mostly depends on your team to play the objectives well. a good push with a super powered golem, or following up a pirate ship barrage, or with the other side objectives...can really swing a game in your favor, or against you if it is the other team

sadly there is no ARAM as of yet

any other questions out there?
esp about the heroes? :D

bldavis

Postby Flex » Sun Mar 23, 2014 10:41 am

We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 11:44 am

One nice thing that I didn't mention in the post is that there are no more individual kills, but everyone who participated in a kill gets a "takedown"; the game never tells you who got the last hit. If you kill three people, the announcer will still say that a "Triple Kill" occurred, but because no one cares who got the last hit, everyone on the team is happy about it (evidenced by people saying things like "awesome job guys!" in chat, which I rarely see in other games), and you never hear anyone complaining about how "noob support take my kill, i afk now".

I approve.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:04 am

Would probably solve a lot of things yes. And would solve the damn adc taking my penta away.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby sahiel » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:18 pm

Got into the alpha a few days back and just wanted to add my impressions, as a sometimes DotA, longtime LoL player I'm really finding HotS a breath of fresh air. The whole no items, no gold, shared levels helps (imao) to remove a lot of sources of stress from the game and return the focus to the actual gameplay instead which is very appealing.

There's a brief 'this is how you play' intro to get people who are brand new into things, it's quickly done for those who know what they're doing. It also 'gates' your access you battle types initially, your account gets exp for wins much like LoL and access to co-op vs AI and 5 vs 5 is linked to your first few levels. For experts you'll get enough exp in a match or two to unlock all modes of play, for newer players it might take another match or two beyond that, which is great, it means that you actually get to incrementally experience the game and learn it a bit before being thrown in the deep end. As an experienced player it's also good imao as it means you know that the other players have at least a basic understanding of the game and have had a chance to practice using heroes and some of their skills.

Overall, it's a hell of a lot of fun even in alpha and I suspect i'll switch from LoL to HotS when it's out given that it'll likely mean being able to play with a lot more of my friends who don't really 'get' LoL or DotA but will probably find this far more accessible (plus, just personally, I'm a fan of more action, less shopping).
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Jabari » Wed Jun 25, 2014 2:05 pm

Big big patch today!

Zagara is in (looks fun), and tons of balance changes. Kerrigan and Li Li got nerfed which was badly needed.

I'm a complete newbie at MOBAs - never played any before at all. This has been pretty fun so far. Have Tyrande, Nazeebo, and ETC. Play Raynor a lot for dailies too.
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Flex » Fri Jul 18, 2014 6:56 am

Got into the alpha. The gameplay doesn't change my dislike of the genre. Everything feels like it is moving at 80% of what it should be at.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Worldie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:11 am

I do understand that's still Alpha, but I dont know how blizzard can think that a champion that is permanently invisible, not targettable until hit by a aoe or attacks and can 1shot squishys is balanced.

But then, that's rogues in wow since several years so I shouldn't be surprised
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Jabari » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:56 pm

Yeah, Nova's probably a touch overtuned at the moment - she wasn't very good before and suddenly is again.

You can watch for the cloak-shimmer and knock her out of cloak with any kind of AoE or skillshot. The other thing you can do is make sure someone is taking vision talent if she's on the other team and/or make sure you stick together.
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Next

Return to Other Games