Who should MT Gruul?

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Who should MT Gruul?

Postby Annivus » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:08 am

I'm kind of at a point where I'm stuck... My guild has Zul'aman on farm, but we're finally just getting enough people to do 25 mans (yeah a little out of order there)

The warrior main tank has slightly less avoidance than me, but he's got shield wall.. my question comes down to who should tank?

Unbuffed stats:
My stats:
15537 HP
18085 armor (with devotion)
21.19% dodge
19.02% parry
20.79% block
327 spelldmg

Warrior stats:
15184 HP
17384 armor (with devotion would be 18245)
17.48% dodge
16.83% parry
31.71% block

He's got a one up on me since he's tanked Gruul before, but I was a healer back then so I still know the fight..

Thoughts?
Annivus

Postby Aalryn » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:24 am

You have more health, armor, and about 5 1/2% more avoidance. You will be easier to heal and keep up until the later growths when shield wall can be called in a pinch. You, however will have more agro than him and your dps will be able to unload more.

All in all, I would have you tank it.
~insert flashy signature here~

"Error: Armory link not found" ... Tankadin no more
Aalryn

Postby DeadlyRabbit » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:44 am

Either of you could be the main tank, and him tanking it before means very little because the tank has the easiest roll in that fight, you just need to get him in the center of the room each time.

If the dps is good, the heals are good and people know to move during cave ins and to not kill each other during shatter it will be fine.
DeadlyRabbit

Postby ulushnar » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:53 am

Aalryn wrote:All in all, I would have you tank it.

Agreed, but I'd offer a caveat.

Your healers will have to strategise differently for you than for the Warrior. The AoE silence can leave you open to crushes if your Holy Shield runs out, so your healing team is gonna want to unload HoTs on you when it's due. Also, I find it handy to have a Prot Warrior Intervene to you during a Silence. He'll take hit which will make your life easier.

I regularly tank Gruul no problem with stats roughly equivalent to yours. As long as your raid knows what to expect going in, you'll have no problem.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Rónin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:55 am

I've main tanked Gruul for more than ten times now and I have yet to see the first time that reverbaration (silence) hits on the same time i need to cast my holy shield.

I can't believe this is just luck on my side, so I won't take that argument as being that valid. If it strikes at the same time, you still have your LoH to kick in. Assuming that your raid knows what to do out there, just keep in mind to move out of a cave in, especially after growth #10 and you will do fine.

In my opinion you are trying to make a decision based on the wrong arguements. Looking at the difference between you and the warrior, these differences are too small to let it be the main factor on which you want to make your decision. It's the tank mechanics that should have been the basis of your decision. If you guys are the only tanks on the fight, then in my opinion the Warrior needs to pick up the OT spot as warriors are more capable of building up the threat without being the main target.

More threat = more DPS. DPS is the key to success here.

Good luck on the challenge as an MT :wink: !

Regards,
Rónin

Postby Annivus » Thu Jan 24, 2008 3:38 pm

I actually decided that I wasnt comfortable with the chance at crushing blows so I picked up the OT spot, several times nearly passing the MT on threat when I popped my wings.

One shotted him with only 4 dead. Maulgar nearly one shotted as well (had to teach the pull to a ton of new people, so perfecting that took 2 wipes). Not bad for the guild not being able to do gruul's lair for 6 months.
Annivus

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag