Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:32 am

http://www.vox.com/2014/4/8/5594224/stu ... nservative

Whites afraid of being a minority? Why? Are minorities treated like second-class citizens?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:55 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.vox.com/2014/4/8/5594224/study-white-americans-told-theyll-be-a-minority-become-more-conservative

Whites afraid of being a minority? Why? Are minorities treated like second-class citizens?

Minorities are icky and aren't able to hold seats in government and keep their stranglehold on all aspects of life... I mean, if whites were a minority we might end up with a black president...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:07 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Io.Draco » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:56 pm

Speaking of politics take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalia_Poklonskaya

I am sure some of you may have heard of her but what you likely didn't hear is that she was only offered the job as top Crimean Prosecutor after five of her male colleague were too afraid to take it.

So here's a young woman with bigger balls then many of her male co-workers.
Io.Draco

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:08 pm

Whaddaya know, the NSA has been using the Heartbleed exploit for over two years.

The NSA: Keeping America safe, by exposing the entire global internet to a potentially catastrophic security vulnerability.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:35 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Whaddaya know, the NSA has been using the Heartbleed exploit for over two years.

The NSA: Keeping America safe, by exposing the entire global internet to a potentially catastrophic security vulnerability.

Not surprised at all given this:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2082720/ ... versy.html
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/ ... C220131220
---
Klaudandus

Postby Paxen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:58 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Whites afraid of being a minority? Why? Are minorities treated like second-class citizens?

Well, yes?
Paxen

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:21 am

Paxen wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:Whites afraid of being a minority? Why? Are minorities treated like second-class citizens?

Well, yes?

It was a rhetorical question, in any case, who is the one treating them like second-class citizens?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:57 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Paxen wrote:

Well, yes?

It was a rhetorical question, in any case, who is the one treating them like second-class citizens?

The minority in power.

Also, its rarely the majority that makes a caste system, its a minority in power, usually doing so to stay in power despite being a minority.
Power can be based on control of production, necessary basic resources or actual force of arms (amongst other things).
The slightly less targetted majority will then help enforce the castesystem on anyoneone lower than them, because it helps them have some better stuff.
Basic human psychology so far.

Whats interesting is when we rise above it, when we don't perpetuate the basic way of doing stuff, but decide to rise above our own wants and needs and put the wants and needs of one or more others ahead of our own.

(apologies for the philosophical views, I'm in that sort of political mood lately)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:02 pm

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/2014-pulitz ... velations/

I am perfectly ok with this. (Others might be not, of course)
---
Klaudandus

Postby econ21 » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:48 pm

Io.Draco wrote:I am sure some of you may have heard of her but what you likely didn't hear is that she was only offered the job as top Crimean Prosecutor after five of her male colleague were too afraid to take it.

Afraid? Of what exactly? Being one of Putin's running dogs? That's not exactly a dangerous stance to take in Putin's Crimea. If she had pointed out the illegality of Putin's annexation or stood up to his goons like the unarmed Ukrainian solders in Crimea, I'd regard her as brave. To acquiesce to it as a person supposed to uphold the laws of Ukraine, not so much.

So here's a young woman with bigger balls then many of her male co-workers.

Quite the contrary. I'm impressed that five Crimean lawmakers turned down Putin's gold before she took it. That's what took balls. And it suggests how over-hyped Crimea's affection for its annexation may be, at least among professionals.

BTW, it's quite pathetic how a pretty face can attract such unwarranted internet attention.
econ21

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:02 am

Afraid? Of what exactly?

Being branded a criminal by Ukraine when the far right has large power in the west? Perhaps being branded a criminal and put on a sanctions list by the west as well. Also it takes courage to speak out on the illegal coup ( and since you care so much about laws then I'd like to know how overthrowing Yanukovich and then dismissing him without a two thirds majority in parliament as the law requires is legal. ) as she did long before Russia intervened in Crimea.

If she had pointed out the illegality of Putin's annexation or stood up to his goons like the unarmed Ukrainian solders in Crimea, I'd regard her as brave. To acquiesce to it as a person supposed to uphold the laws of Ukraine, not so much.

Illegality by whose laws exactly? Ukraine where the law is being spat and shat on by everyone Kiev at the moment, not that it hasn't been like this for the last two decades.

Illegality by UN laws? Laughable. The UN is a glorified meeting hall for diplomats of various countries. There is no international law since no one can enforce it on any country unless countries use political/military/economic force. As it goes with the west so it goes with Russia.

I'm impressed that five Crimean lawmakers turned down Putin's gold before she took it.

Yeah Impressive thing isn't. A bunch of cowardly dogs afraid of being cast in the spotlight.

And it suggests how over-hyped Crimea's affection for its annexation may be, at least among professionals.

You mean those already living comfortable lives with no worry in the world. Ukraine is the poorest countryin Eurpe right now ( how one can beat Moldova is beyond me but they did it ). When you however look at Crimea you see a part of the country which has been underdeveloped for the last 24 years and with large economic issues. Russia, for all it's economic faults has a growing economy, average salaries that are three-four times as high as in Ukraine and a government that promised the Crimeans economic development in the region.

Indeed one of the first things that was done following the takeover was granting Crimea special tax status in Russia along with bills signed that will pour tens of millions in the region. The public support among the masses comes down to simple economics. People want a better life and being part of Russia would offer them that.

Oh but what of the EU, you might ask. Being part of the EU or having closer ties does not lead to higher quality of life. Oh sure businesses might profit from it but the average person? Not so much.

My country, Romania, has been part of the EU for seven years and salaries have not seen any real increase. There was a point where they could have before they were cut by a substantial amount ( 25% ) by the Government. The average salary of most people is around 300 EUROs, or less, and that in itself is not the issue because average salary only matter in relation to prices....prices that are standard across the EU.

We have the same prices for a great of deal of our food as the rest of the EU. Same prices for electronics, appliances etc and only slightly lower prices for utility bills. In contrast a country like Russia has substantially lower prices then we do and they have close to double the average age. For fuck sake even Belarus has higher wages....BELARUS with it's dictator leader.
Io.Draco

Postby Nooska » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:15 am

Having been an EU member for the past 7 years doesn't mean much in that regard - in case you missed it there has been a global financial crisis for 6 of those 7 years which is not yet completely over.
You could ask where you would be today if you hadn't been an EU memeber, but I recognize the futility of asking what-ifs, as nobody knows for real.
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:52 am

A crisis which continues, the EU still has large difficulties in countries like Spain, Italy, Greece and even France and the UK. There are few countries which experience growth and even then it's only marginal growth. My point is that closer ties with the EU or even joining the EU is not a God sent miracle that will significantly improve quality of life. There's an illusion of that in a lot of countries that are not part of the west but I think it's safe to say that a lot of us that are part of the west don't find that to be true.

At the moment in Crimea wages for state workers as well as pensions have increased by two, three times what they were before while prices have only been increased by a mild amount ( although that's temporary until Russia manages to get things sorted ). The only people suffering are private workers...since it's going to take more for them to get stuff worked out.

Corrupt authorities have been replaced by more competent ones: Certainly there is corruption and incompetence in State Institutions in Russia, but it sure as shit doesn't compare to Ukraine.

In mainland Ukraine: Prices for everything have increased as the national currency has lost a great deal of it's value while salaries and pensions are starting to be cut. Russia might be blamed for increased gas prices, not that Kiev has paid Russia a cent since it all began, but it can't be blamed for higher costs on everything else and decreased wages.

When the the myth of "Western Salvation" is finally debunked in Ukraine and people start struggling to survive then you will see the country fall apart. Russia isn't helping it, but why should they? They offered Ukraine large subsidies in gas, a 15 billion loan without the strings attached that come from an IMF one ( Austerity measures ) and what happened? Western Ukraine spat on them instead preferring to beg the EU for help.

We'll see how far the EU can help without provoking large scale protests in the EU capitals: Seriously 15 billion Euro given to fucking Ukraine when we struggle with three major countries here and have large economic issues? Fuck off I say.
Io.Draco

Postby econ21 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:01 pm

Io.Draco wrote:Being branded a criminal by Ukraine when the far right has large power in the west?

Yes, I am sure Ukraine is going to invade Crimea and arrest her.

Perhaps being branded a criminal and put on a sanctions list by the west as well.

Of course, I am sure a 34 year old prosecutor will be added to the targeted sanctions and must be trembling at the loss of her Swiss bank accounts.

Also it takes courage to speak out on the illegal coup

No, it looks like 1/3 of the country has no problem speaking out against it. To speak out in favour of Kiev would have been the brave thing to do in Crimea, given that so many of the people there are pro-Russian.

At the moment in Crimea wages for state workers as well as pensions have increased by two, three times what they were before...

So she's not being brave, she's just being bought?

( and since you care so much about laws then I'd like to know how overthrowing Yanukovich and then dismissing him without a two thirds majority in parliament as the law requires is legal. )

Actually, I think we probably agree on this. I'm not keen on popular movements trying to overthrow democratically elected governments - whether in Egypt, Thailand, Venezula or Ukraine. The current international trend towards this is very concerning - it's very destructive of constitutional politics and tends to result in authoritarian strongmen emerging. Much better if possible to wait for the next elections. That said, Yanukovich was apparently very corrupt (i.e. illegal and illegitimate) and repressive.

Illegality by whose laws exactly?

International law. Invading weak neighbours to annex their territory is so 19th century.

Illegality by UN laws? Laughable. The UN is a glorified meeting hall for diplomats of various countries.

Jaw-jaw is better than war-war.

Russia, for all it's economic faults has a growing economy, ....

Forecast close to zero growth this year though - perhaps due to the current adventurism.

My country, Romania, has been part of the EU for seven years and salaries have not seen any real increase.

Cry me a river. My country, the UK, has not done any better. And it's nothing to do with the EU, btw. The global financial crisis of 2008 - the hint is in the name - started in that well known EU state, the USA. I cannot conceive of how leaving the EU - my country's major trading partner - would have made it any easier for the UK to cope with the aftermath. Ditto Romania (I think you avoided joining the Eurozone, which is probably constraining some EU economies such as Greece, which probably have not done well out of the EU).
econ21

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum