New Anime Season

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Kill La Kill is amazing. Studio Trigger can have all my babies. <3
All the yes.


Witch craft works's anime started recently, but I didn't like it. The manga is entertaining, even though nothing close to the hits this season...but the anime failed to interest me. Except for the deranged ending animation.


After one of the cuts the anime adaptation did to Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio:Ars Nova 's manga, I haven't had the heart to watch the last couple episodes. The whole thing is pretty good though.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 10106
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:02 am

So I've been a big fan of the Nisekoi manga for quite a while now, but it definitely falls into a lot of standard buckets - it's a popular, mainstream, Shonen Jump romantic comedy.

The anime is being done by Shaft and Akiyuki Shinbo.

***MIND FUCK***
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 6047
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Snake-Aes » Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Kill La Kill is amazing. Studio Trigger can have all my babies. <3
All the yes.
So. Uhm. Episode 17.
I feel if I go sleep I'll develop a second personality just to process what happened, and only later next week it'll merge back and I'll be able to pick up my jaw.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 10106
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sabindeus » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:23 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Kill La Kill is amazing. Studio Trigger can have all my babies. <3
All the yes.
So. Uhm. Episode 17.
I feel if I go sleep I'll develop a second personality just to process what happened, and only later next week it'll merge back and I'll be able to pick up my jaw.


AND THEN MORE SHIT HAPPENED.
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 6047
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:58 am

Oh yeah.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 10106
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:32 pm

I think only Sagara will care about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCH7N9R5yc
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9377
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sagara » Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:14 am

Klaudandus wrote:I think only Sagara will care about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCH7N9R5yc


I KNOW I'm old school, stop rubbing it dammit! :lol:
Funny, wife show me that one just yesterday.
Interesting re-design, but nothing important in the grand scheme.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:03 am

Sagara wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:I think only Sagara will care about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCH7N9R5yc


I KNOW I'm old school, stop rubbing it dammit! :lol:
Funny, wife show me that one just yesterday.
Interesting re-design, but nothing important in the grand scheme.


Well, you're the only person in this board with a passing interest on Saint Seiya. XD
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9377
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Snake-Aes » Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:00 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Sagara wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:I think only Sagara will care about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCH7N9R5yc
I KNOW I'm old school, stop rubbing it dammit! :lol:
Funny, wife show me that one just yesterday.
Interesting re-design, but nothing important in the grand scheme.
Well, you're the only person in this board with a passing interest on Saint Seiya. XD
If it helps, just about everyone I talk to regularly is interested in that too, so I'll pass it along.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 10106
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:38 am

I think we're the only ones that lived in a market that aired Saint Seiya shortly after its release in Japan back in the day. By the time it actually arrived to the US, it seemed outdated and the heavy censorship didn't help.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9377
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sagara » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Out of curiosity, what did trigger the rise of anime on your side of the pond? If I'm not mistaken it started really late (late 90's?) when compared to markets like France (starting in the early 80's, with the real kick-start in the late 80's).

Then again, it doesn't seem like anime got the same flak it got when it started in France. God, some articles I read when I was a teenager. Then again, some dumbass DID manage to get City Hunter and FREAKING Fist of the North Star on a *kid's show*...
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:42 pm

To be honest? i'm not sure... I had access to mexican tv growing up, so my exposure to anime was much earlier than most people in the US. I remember watching Saint Seiya, Tetsujin 28, Mazinger Z, Dragon Ball Z, Magic Knight Rayearth and even the anime version of the Transformers before any of them were ever shown in the US. I'm talking mid/late 80s/early 90s.

Latin-America, back in the day, would show anime a lot in the afternoons. Heck, I don't remember ever seeing Saber Marionette J ever on any american channel, but would air at 3:30 on Animax.

So Anime was natural for me growing up.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9377
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Arjuna » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:22 am

Hmm, for us up here in the north of the world it took aaaaages for anime to get in. I only remember watching anime on foreign channels...and since I didn't understand english at that time, it was really wierd but awesome...

Aaah, Blue Noah, you rocked!
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
User avatar
Arjuna
 
Posts: 887
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:26 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:45 am

Cartoon Network was probably my first exposure to anime(DBZ)... either that or the WB (Sailor Moon).

Looking into it... it appears anime has been a thing in the US since the 1960s with Astro Boy, Gigantor, Speed Racer, Kimba and a few others having nationwide syndication. Source

The conventions and whatnot weren't major until the 90s, but they still had gatherings as early as the 70s (more like anime clubs than conventions).

Anywho, that link above was an interesting read (though I stopped about half-way through part 3).
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3548
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: New Anime Season

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:58 pm

I remember watching "Star Blazers" when I was a kid; it must have been late 70s.

Hmm. Wikipedia has a domestic broadcast date of 1979, so that'd be it. I remember being amazed that characters actually *died*.

The new reboot was a fun nostalgia trip.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Fivelives » Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:14 am

I remember Robotech (Macross) and Voltron (Beast King Golion) being pretty big, and watching them as part of my Saturday Morning Cartoon Regimen (SMCR), as well as my After School Cartoon Consumption (ASCC).
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sabindeus » Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:50 pm

DBZ and Sailor Moon early morning syndication -> Ranma 1/2, Slayers, Kenshin, Eva -> everything else
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 6047
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:10 am

Sagara wrote:Out of curiosity, what did trigger the rise of anime on your side of the pond? If I'm not mistaken it started really late (late 90's?) when compared to markets like France (starting in the early 80's, with the real kick-start in the late 80's).

Then again, it doesn't seem like anime got the same flak it got when it started in France. God, some articles I read when I was a teenager. Then again, some dumbass DID manage to get City Hunter and FREAKING Fist of the North Star on a *kid's show*...

Here it hasn't really risen.
Saint Seya, Dragon Ball (not Z, dammit) and Yu Yu Hakusho were a blast at their time, but the channels lost interest. These days only the reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally big hits like naruto get any screen time, and there is little interest from any company to license these things here.
So we steal. It's a glorious display of bizarreness when just about everyone from 12 to 40 seems to know tons of anime and none of them officially exist here, and no one considers licensing them.

The manga market, in comparison, is actually bustling. Still small in comparison to us and jp, but you'll find just about any manga here officially if you look close enough.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 10106
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Fivelives » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:44 pm

I remember Fist of the North Star growing up. It was on late night USA Network, along with Space Ghost.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sagara » Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:10 am

I'm getting a feeling we were all "that weird guy" that was into anima when we were teens?

Also, binged a bit last night and watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica Rebellion (what in the flying WHAT?) and the first ep of Kill la Kill (what in the WHO'S FLYING??)

Fun night, but suffice to say I feel a bit in a surreal world today.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Fivelives » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Kill la Kill is done by the same folks who did Gurren Lagann. It starts at the level of batshit crazy where Gurren Lagann left off and goes forward from there - if on a moderately smaller scale.

Highly recommended.
- I'm not Jesus, but I can turn water into Kool-Aid.
- A Sergeant in motion outranks an officer who doesn't know what the hell is going on.
- A demolitions specialist at a flat run outranks everybody.
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 2801
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:15 am

Sagara wrote:I'm getting a feeling we were all "that weird guy" that was into anima when we were teens?

Also, binged a bit last night and watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica Rebellion (what in the flying WHAT?) and the first ep of Kill la Kill (what in the WHO'S FLYING??)

Fun night, but suffice to say I feel a bit in a surreal world today.


I loved Madoka Magica, Homura chan is awesome imo
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9377
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Sagara » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:56 am

Klaudandus wrote:I loved Madoka Magica, Homura chan is awesome imo


The movie's ending, from the moment Madokami pops up until the end.
That girl is viciously awesome.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
User avatar
Sagara
 
Posts: 3272
Joined: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:04 am
Location: Belgium

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:25 pm

Sagara wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:I loved Madoka Magica, Homura chan is awesome imo


The movie's ending, from the moment Madokami pops up until the end.
That girl is viciously awesome.


Haven't seen the movie
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9377
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: New Anime Season

Postby Arjuna » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:37 am

I just watched the first two episodes of Nobunaga the Fool...

...I have never EVER witnessed such a massive amount of namedropping in an anime series before!!!
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
User avatar
Arjuna
 
Posts: 887
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:26 am

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest