Post Your Amusements!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Post Your Amusements!

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:11 pm

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Mar 02, 2014 3:41 am

Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:55 am

---
Klaudandus

Postby Era » Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:46 am

"Ranting about books" - vlogbrothers
http://youtu.be/eBPAJERpn6Q
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:23 am

18 summers later, I will be going to see 2 bands that I saw with my oldest son's mother, with my oldest son.

I shouldn't have to ditch anyone for being a whiny, pain in the ass, soul sucking bitch this time.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:31 pm

as if we needed further proof that advertisers are encouraged to find chemical inspiration, I present you with

Mo Deck.

When you need mo deck? Grab the can.
Shoju

Postby Era » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:38 pm

A Must For Mulching Mowers! Fantastic. :lol:
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:21 am

---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:41 am

Era wrote:A Must For Mulching Mowers! Fantastic. :lol:

I love all of the vague inuendos that can be found in "Mo Deck" and "So Slick, Grass wont Stick>"
Shoju

Postby Flex » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:49 pm

this is a trigger warning from a fat lifestyle blog or something

Trigger warning: Discussion of calorie counting in order to eat enough food to meet daily caloric requirements.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Kal » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Flex wrote:this is a trigger warning from a fat lifestyle blog or something

Trigger warning: Discussion of calorie counting in order to eat enough food to meet daily caloric requirements.

I think the trigger warning fad is getting out of hand. It used to just be "Viewer Discretion is Advised" before shows like Law and Order: SVU, but now it's like "I want to be taken seriously, so Trigger warning: keywords from whatever is in this article."
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Flex » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:33 pm

Kal wrote:
Flex wrote:this is a trigger warning from a fat lifestyle blog or something

I think the trigger warning fad is getting out of hand. It used to just be "Viewer Discretion is Advised" before shows like Law and Order: SVU, but now it's like "I want to be taken seriously, so Trigger warning: keywords from whatever is in this article."

I get TW for PTSD stuff, but TW for "this article talks about being fat so trigger warning: fat issues, fat shaming" just reduces the actual importance of people who have complete shut downs when something triggers their PTSD.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 4:45 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Kal » Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:04 pm

Flex wrote:I get TW for PTSD stuff, but TW for "this article talks about being fat so trigger warning: fat issues, fat shaming" just reduces the actual importance of people who have complete shut downs when something triggers their PTSD.

TW: Funhouse mirrors, bullets, dog piss, literally Hitler.

I have had a few flashbacks myself, for various reasons which are not amusing, so I know this is a real phenomenon. I'll agree it diminishes the real difficulty of dealing with PTSD to say everyone has their own special, self-diagnosed PTSD and should never inadvertently be exposed to anything related to their "trauma".

This seems to be getting serious for an amusement thread, so I'll try to get back on track not matter how darkly and say I'm amused when people walk into the funhouse mirror maze of self-selection bias. It's like I can watch them from the outside, and they look at a warped mirror of themselves and say "That's reality!" No, it's not.

I'm amused when people make up seemingly arbitrary rules, just so they can feel accomplished, having left their mark. In the Army, this is something many of us Sergeants try to stop Lieutenants from picking up a habit of doing. They feel the need to make some change happen, so when it comes time for their evaluation, they can show a bullet point list of "Here's what I did, and it's different and better than the last guy!" It's like none can understand that sometimes maintaining the status quo is what's needed, not fixing something that isn't broken. That's what this trigger warning fad seems like to me, like some PC police just need to leave their mark, like a dog pissing on a hydrant.

I'm amused that people equate growing up being teased or bullied for being fat with surviving combat, violent crimes, or natural disasters. I won't say it doesn't hurt to be teased or bullied growing up, or that it doesn't matter compared to starving kids in Africa, because I personally know it hurts, and that's relative privation anyway. I will just say these PC police have no sense of proportion. Miss a jot or tittle in your TW preface and they pounce on you like you're literally Hitler.
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Arnock » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:55 pm

Eh, I imagine that some of the more severe bullying cases out there could possibly cause PTSD.

But overall, I agree. I think a lot of these extreme... "Social Justice Warrior" type of sites are trying to find some sort of great "cause" to fight for and leave their mark on the world, to be the "Martin Luther King of the furry community!" Putting a 'trigger warning' label on articles is a cheap way of trying to legitimize their "struggle" by equating it to the same kind of trauma experienced by, say, a rape victim or combat soldier. I've seen blogs claiming a [TW] tag because a doctor told the author that his/her weight was unhealthy and to try to eat healthier.

As for the actual thread content:

This girl's facebook post cost her dad $80,000
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

PreviousNext

Return to General