Question regarding expertise.

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Question regarding expertise.

Postby Lamin » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:01 pm

I recently hit 90 on my paladin and would like to begin tanking again (Starting in regulars, then working to heroic dungeons and up to LFR and possibly flex).

I've been looking around and found a couple different people telling me that at my gear level I shouldn't go all out on expertise and should worry more about getting to 7.5% and then putting everything into Haste. Is this a viable option?

Here's my armory for reference as to what I have now: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uther/Lamin/advanced
Lamin

Re: Question regarding expertise.

Postby Kal » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:06 pm

With current ilevels from timeless, valor, etc, there's no challenge in getting 15% expertise, so ilevel is not relevant to the question of Caps>Haste vs. Haste>Caps. Short answer: Just get the caps and move on toward what really is going to matter...

Getting back into tanking, that is. You won't get any useful gear from dungeons, heroic or not, and since most everyone outgears then, I suggest sparing yourself the hassle of trying to hold threat on a 570 ilevel Mage blowing cooldowns. Skip them, and do relevant stuff.

1. It's not too late to get the legendary cloak, so get the quest line started and it'll happen eventually. Good luck if you go for it. (btw, don't worry about the 500 stat gem. It only works in sha-weapons which are all very outdated.)

2. Hit the target dummy for 3-4 minutes at a time, at least once a day, just practicing the rotation. Generate and spend as much Holy Power as possible, and practice banking it, i.e. get to 5, use Shield of the Righteous (SotR) which gets you down to 2, get back up to 5, etc., that way if you see your health drop a bit during a fight, you can use SotR, generate 1 Holy Power, and use a second SotR right away, which helps mitigate those spikes.

3. Get Striker's Battletags off of the Shado-Pan Assault Quartermaster in Townlong. It's only 825 Valor and doesn't need rep to get. Also consider getting Lao-Chin's Liquid Courage off the vendor Shado-Pan Quartermaster. Even though it's a lower ilevel, it's a great starter trinket (better than the 496 ones for sure) and it only costs Justice points to buy. Having the 496 ones in your bags will get you a higher ilevel, but having Lao-Chin's equipped will get you a good chunk of health and a 1 minute mastery cooldown.

4. Heroic Scenarios sometimes drop 516 items (the first is guaranteed I think), but more importantly, it's a good source of valor and fun, especially with friends. They're fairly easy and forgiving, so a good place to learn how to put your abilities in use in various fights. They also have bonus Valor if you get the last parts done fast, so it's also a bit rewarding to get better at them.

5. Do Celestials every week for a chance at 553 Tier gear or 522 PvP gear. You don't need to do any stupendous amount of DPS or whatever, just hit that loot pinata. Kill rares on Timeless Isle and do the quests for easy valor and more chances at 535 upgrades.

6. When you feel comfortable staying alive (and I suggest getting 476+ weapon and shield first), get a healing friend and run ToT LFR. You'll be getting the quest items for The Strength of One's Foes, earning rep with the Shado-Pan Assault which unlocks 522 ilevel gear (like Vicious Talisman) available for Valor, and maybe getting some 502 gear that might be useful at first, but no biggie, there's better stuff out there.

7. If you can get through a ToT LFR without dying, then as soon as you have the ilevel to do SoO LFR, do it. Save your Warforged Seals for better gear from flex or normal though, except maybe one roll a week on Malkorok to get the Vial of Living Corruption he drops.
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Thels » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:09 am

Just to add on the Expertise topic, there is zero reason to stop at 7.5%. Dodges and Parries are just as annoying. Hit and Expertise are by far your best survival stats, as well as your best DPS stats. Just push them all the way up to cap, before thinking about enchanting/gemming/reforging something else.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Lamin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:18 pm

Thanks for the info. I was leaning towards keeping the 15% expertise anyway. I am able to run ToT right now but I'll have to study the fights to get them down.
Lamin

Postby Worldie » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:25 am

Kal wrote:4. Heroic Scenarios sometimes drop 516 items (the first is guaranteed I think)

Random clarification, you get the guaranteed 516 quest when you hit 480 ilvl from the panda at the entrance of your faction's shrine. You can do hc scenarios at any ilvl and receive the standard bag, but the guaranteed loot quest only shows up when you hit 480.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice