[10H] Garrosh Hellscream (Guide)

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen, frontallobe

[10H] Garrosh Hellscream (Guide)

Postby Incalcando » Fri Nov 08, 2013 4:59 am

We finally downed Garrosh and since it is a fight where attention to detail is required in order to kill it, I'd like to share with you my thoughts and tips about it. This might be a long one, brace yourselves.

PROT POV VIDEO: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id= ... sp=sharing This is just the raw footage of our kill guys, I thought it's more interesting in this forum than the double PoV edited one. I didn't record my own voice again :P

First off, this guide will assume you take the main load of tanking. If you are in the off-tank role, there are still things you can pick up from this though.

We're gonna take it phase by phase, so let's begin!

Talent/Glyph choices:

These are in my opinion mandatory:

Speed of Light
Fist of Justice
Holy Avenger
Unbreakable Spirit
Eternal Flame
Light's Hammer
WoG Glyph (the damage increase one)
Holy Wrath stun glyph

Phase one:

The change on heroic is that the adds can't be “tanked” properly, they will fixate to “a target near them” which most of the time is the nearest, but I've seen adds randomly run off me and towards the ranged DPS. What you wanna be doing here is pulling the boss and move him to a position where the iron star will hit. The adds from the right side will cross through your path and hopefully fixate on you. Throwing ranged abilities on them before they are actually on top of you seemed useless. Running straight up on top of the adds will greatly increase your chances on all 3 of them fixating on you, however the boss might get dragged out of range for the ranged DPS/healers. I just waited for the adds to come close to me and that didn't cause us any trouble. For the iron star impact, try to be the last one from the melee group to move out to ensure the adds get all hit by it. Keep in mind that the adds hit actually hard and they melee for SHADOW damage (I suppose as to deal the same damage to cloth/plate users) so you can't really mitigate their damage through SotR.

Offensive/defensive CD usage:

Pull the boss without using anything, meta will almost always proc and keep you safe, if however it doesn't, you can use an ardent defender there. When the adds reach you, blow HA and AW. When the other pack reaches, throw your light's hammer as well. For the first pack of adds, no CD is really necessary, but you can use a DP (unglyphed) when garrosh does his shout that makes everything deal more damage. For the second wave of adds, you will need to chain DP and GoAK when the boss does his shout. You really want GoAK to be up when you are moving out of the star, I found I am at my most vulnerable there. Do not use HA a second time, and save your Light's Hammer for the first transition.

Depending on if your group requires it or not, Devotion Aura is a great CD for the iron star impact, however I would advise you to save it for when the boss starts annihilating in the transitions, to ease things a bit for your healers to stabilize until the raid is stacked up.
First transition

Preparing for the first transition:

Two things you gotta make sure happen here. First, you want some vengeance in order to unload all of your burst quickly before it falls off. If you were already tanking garrosh, let your off-tank taunt him 3-4 seconds prior so he can get some vengeance for himself. Second, pool your holy power and just before the transition happens make sure AS and LH are up, EF yourself for the 9% extra damage.

Killing the adds:

Protection paladin is just amazing for this, because of the fact that you can reliably lock down a pack of 3 for at least 3 casts (4 if you spec into blinding light stun) on your own. My strategy was as follows. I told my DPSers to help in 2 of the 3 adds of my pack with dots (or some small cleaves as they are running past it and towards their packs). Throw your LH and your AS as you approach the pack, use HW to stun the first cast, continue nuking the target your DPSers aren't touching, then use tauren stomp on the second cast (if for some reason you are blood elf, that AoE silence racial also works), then HW on the third. At least 1 add is bound to be dead by then, if you still get a fourth cast, interrupt one and single target stun the other.

Annihilate time:

When the adds that drop the light are dying, make sure you are not in melee to avoid one landing on you and wasting it. You shouldn't care about getting the debuff for this phase your HP pool/EF are enough to keep you up without requiring extra attention from the healers. What you should do instead is, at the time where the DPS are gathering up to take the light, go on the boss and position yourself facing away from your raid. This gives the boss an extra target to cast annihilate on and lessens the chances of your group getting an annihilate on top of them while they are waiting for everyone to gather and soak.

Phase two:

If you are confident that your co-tank's class can dish out equal amounts of single target DPS as you, simply do a swap every 4 or 5 stacks (don't swap earlier, cause the stacks are applied so fast that the boss can go taunt immune if you keep swapping all the time). If you usually do a lot more damage than him just solo tank the boss for the first 2 whirling phases. After the second whirling, you continue with the 4-5 stack switch. Another small tip. If the MC is happening in like 3-4 seconds, try to have your AS up for it. Provided that the people MCed are properly stack on top of the boss, AS will deal about 30% of their HP without critting instantly. Don't throw Fist of Justice there, the stun will remain until after the MC is done making you lose DPS. When the empowered whirlings start happening, TURN YOUR RF OFF. If you have it on, half the adds on the room will run towards you for some reason, I assume EF healing aggro. No need to turn it back on until the end of phase 3. Lastly, always use DP while the empowered whirling is happening. Healers will have their hands full trying to keep the spread out raid alive. If someone has 2 adds on him, stun one of them, then taunt the other.

CD usage:

Pop HA the moment you come down from the first transition (unless you have to use it there to kill everything fast enough). Don't use wings yet. Untill 5 stacks you shouldn't need any CD whatsoever. At 6 stacks use DP. Then comes the first whirling. The second round is tougher, you will go up to 11-12 stacks. Don't panic though. At 6 or 7 stacks start a CD chain of DP/Healer external/GoAK, which will cover you till your stacks fall off during the second whirling. Use your AW when your vengeance goes close to 100% for some extra DPS. When HA comes off CD use it a second time, it will be up by the time you need it again.

Second Transition:

Couple of things here. First, run like hell, never stop unless you can't find a path forward without getting hit by the fear. Your group must have some raid wide speed increase at the start, chain your Speed of Light after it. BoP your warlock or some other caster that can AoE on the move around halfway through the run. On the top, use Salvation on your highest burst AoE player. When the adds are gathered up, use HW to stun them. Throw down LH for extra AoE DPS. You won't really manage to do big numbers in this phase unless your overall AoE in your team is low, I for example did half the AoE my DK co-tank did.

For the annihilate again, ignore all the bubbles on the ground, even if one is right on your path towards the boss, just to make sure that if some DPSer/healer messes up and picks more than one, there are still bubbles left for the rest.

Phase three:

Before he transitions, make sure you have some vengeance and blow both your Cds at the bloodlust. Swap at 4 stacks. That's really the best way to minimize explosion damage on your raid. If your DPS is beastly you will only have 1 empowered whirling. In which case you just handle it exactly the same way as phase 2. If you get a second whirling and your raid is confident they can push a phase 4 very shortly after, don't bother killing off the adds, simply kite them. What you wanna do is put RF back on, pick up ALL the adds take them in one side of the room, HW stun them, pop Speed of Light (your raid can help with stuns and knockbacks) to run away from them. If you haven't pushed by then, when they reach you, stun them again and run (or get gripped by your priest healer). Remind your DPS not to bother actually stunning the adds, since the diminishing returns will just mess your own stun's duration up.

Phase four:

Tanking wise, very disappointing tank and spank. NO need for a tank swap here, just let whoever does more damage solo tank this phase. The only tip I can give you here is to have a CD up for when you are running with the boss for bombardmend. Other than that the boss does actually hit hard so if you see yourself needing assistance, just do a tank switch and that's it. If you are not the one tanking, make sure you help your malice groups.
Incalcando

Re: [10H] Garrosh Hellscream (Guide)

Postby Schroom » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:41 am

Thanks, some nice tips here.

we started this yesterday basically with the goal of first learning how to do P1.

I love to share some experiences and ideas.

as my tankpartner is a warrior I let him start the fight (Warrior DPS is insane right now, especially on AoE)

the first weapon spawns on top of us and we just heal through.
he uses his DPS CDs on the first wave of adds.

when the first iron star spawns, I taunt the Boss to get vengeance ans I use my DPS CDs and LH on the second spawn of adds.

Garrosh starts his transition RP when the second iron star comes.

then we just taunt off of each other right before the transition so both tanks can have enough vengeance for the transition.

Sunday we are going to focus on the first transition and then start working on P2. stunlocking everything down in I1 worked well. we just have to get faster.

we plan on ignoring the second transition. the one in ToES.

apparently you don't have to play it and can just sit it out without engaging the adds.
Schroom

Postby Belloc » Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:16 am

Wouldn't that just screw you over on Garrosh's self-healing and ability buffing? Sitting out the second transition, I mean.
Belloc

Postby Darielle » Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:57 am

If you are getting Garrosh under 20%, then it basically means you take one more Empowered Whirl, you have Empowered Desecrates to place before P3 and you break Empowered MC's which aren't very hard (especially with Warriors). You'd essentially have him low enough that even after healing, you'd be pushing after the 2nd Empowered Whirl. But if you aren't getting Garrosh that low, then yeah you're completely screwed.
Darielle

Postby Kai » Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:22 pm

2nd intermission isn't that bad really. took us a lot less time to learn then first intermission at least. make sure you have a powerful CD available for any empowered whirl you're getting later.

our split for 1st intermission is:
left pack: prot warrior + rogue
right pack: mage, mage, elemental shaman
middle pack: everyone else - warlock, feral dps, monk tank, disc priest, holy paladin

rogue + warrior + warlock go far left, rest go far right. stacking vengeance on the warrior as well due to insane dps he's doing and the rogue is our best dps.
in general you'll have to figure out who does most dps and maximize everyone's dps accordingly. mages are pretty bad. as are ferals and elementals, our setup feels pretty suboptimal for that phase in general and it gave us quite some issues.

2nd intermission we had a fear ward on the monk, didn't take much time to learn that. the huge advantage of doing that properly is that if you get garrosh to about 20% before the 2nd intermission, you'll push him to 10% just before the 2nd empowered whirl. then you'll get 2 more in p3, out of which you ignore the adds on the 2nd whirl.
if you have really good dps, you can even completely ignore adsd and just push him to 0% before the 2nd whirl in phase 3. if you do that, you only have to survive two empowered whirls. depending on what raid setup you use, the empowered whirls are a problem and you'll need a proper CD for each.

the guild 'kill it please' has a good video on youtube that shows what you gain from having proper dps. hardly have to deal with whirls. I also like their phase 1 boss movement much better then what fatboss does. increased our dps a lot. definitely no reason to run out for the first desecrated weapon when trinkets are all up. just stack on the boss and kill it while healing through the dmg.
Kai

Postby Darielle » Sat Feb 08, 2014 4:11 am

our split for 1st intermission is:
left pack: prot warrior + rogue
right pack: mage, mage, elemental shaman
middle pack: everyone else - warlock, feral dps, monk tank, disc priest, holy paladin

rogue + warrior + warlock go far left, rest go far right. stacking vengeance on the warrior as well due to insane dps he's doing and the rogue is our best dps.
in general you'll have to figure out who does most dps and maximize everyone's dps accordingly. mages are pretty bad. as are ferals and elementals, our setup feels pretty suboptimal for that phase in general and it gave us quite some issues.

Is your Feral just not using Berserk for it or something? Because with Berserk a Feral can basically pop a group of 3 pretty hard. That comp is actually pretty good, the Monk, Ele, Prot, Lock all bring strong aoe stuns, you bring an extra melee so you have even better single target interrupts, and your group can basically shred mobs.
Darielle

Postby Kai » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:06 am

controlling the casts is certainly not a problem. could easily handle more mobs.did have a problem with dps, usually on 23-24%, so always pretty close. not sure if the cat keeps berserks for it.

our warrior tanks stacks up the most vengeance so the monk's dmg isn't that great. fire mages also not exactly excelling at burst aoe. pretty sure we'd be much better off with a hunter/retri paladin, for pure dps output.
however it's enough anyway and when it comes to single target boss dps our setup is very good, so can't really complain.
Kai

Postby Schroom » Sun Feb 09, 2014 9:08 am

I saw some videos where protpaladins were soaking "Annihilate" on purpose in the intermission, stacking up to over 700k vengeance, so they can nuke the shit out of garosh in P2.

I'm a bit confused how this works... wowhead lists Annihilate with 3.5 Mio Shadow damage each direkt impact. Also after the vengeance nerf. shouldn't annihilate not give vengeance?... I mean ok one with AD and another one with a Cooldown and the legendary cloak procc... but the rest... I only see the guy use DP and GoAk... which shouldn't be enough...

here a video where you can see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIJlPd4qTgM
Schroom

Postby Kortane » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:19 am

He has the 50% damage reduction debuff from the adds too remember, so it's hitting for 1.75 million before his GoAK and DP. Also, Vengeance from AoE still exists. It's "standing in the fire" effects that don't give Vengeance, like sitting in a void zone or something. Point blank AoE like Annihilate still gives Vengeance.
Kortane

Postby samsara » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:02 am

Schroom wrote:I saw some videos where protpaladins were soaking "Annihilate" on purpose in the intermission, stacking up to over 700k vengeance, so they can nuke the shit out of garosh in P2.

I'm a bit confused how this works... wowhead lists Annihilate with 3.5 Mio Shadow damage each direkt impact. Also after the vengeance nerf. shouldn't annihilate not give vengeance?... I mean ok one with AD and another one with a Cooldown and the legendary cloak procc... but the rest... I only see the guy use DP and GoAk... which shouldn't be enough...

here a video where you can see this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIJlPd4qTgM

highest value for me yesterday was around 750k vengeance from all anihilates. I only used the CD recommondation from [25H] Garosh from Paoanii which is basically Unglyphed DP -> GoAK -> Unglyphed DP. We also have Devo Aura up for the first few anihilates so its quite save.
samsara

Postby Kai » Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:35 am

what made a huge differnece for us was to stack vengeance on one tank in phase 2. kept having garrosh around 20% going into the 2nd intermission, then started to let our warrior tank stack up the tanking debuff to 9-10 and his dmg done to garrosh went from 60m to 90m and that's about 5% on the boss.
Kai

Postby Schroom » Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:11 am

yeah I saw that with the buff as well yesterday before raid. had no time to edit my post here. but after speaking to my Raidleader we concluded that we won't do any of those vengeance games. first I personally just don't like and never have liked the idea of taking damage on purpose for Venegance.

Secondly we don't need them. and prefer playing a bit more defensively and safe. so we can use our CDs somewhere else.

so second night went by. Only 2.5 hours tho as the blizzard servers refused again for half the raid to log in (those problems are going on for weeks now...)

nonetheless. the last 30 Minutes we constantly managed to get past the second transition. meaning we managed staying below 25% Energy in the first transition. /dance in the back during the second one, and had a few looks on the 2nd part of Phase 2. unfortunately we couldn't really try out how the add handling works out, if I have to cancel RF or not, and so on.

but well. if we manage to pick up where we left tomorrow we might hopefully start working on P3 :) (before we take another week off of raiding, as people can't make it...)
Schroom

Postby samsara » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:03 am

Schroom wrote:yeah I saw that with the buff as well yesterday before raid. had no time to edit my post here. but after speaking to my Raidleader we concluded that we won't do any of those vengeance games. first I personally just don't like and never have liked the idea of taking damage on purpose for Venegance.

Secondly we don't need them. and prefer playing a bit more defensively and safe. so we can use our CDs somewhere else.

so second night went by. Only 2.5 hours tho as the blizzard servers refused again for half the raid to log in (those problems are going on for weeks now...)

nonetheless. the last 30 Minutes we constantly managed to get past the second transition. meaning we managed staying below 25% Energy in the first transition. /dance in the back during the second one, and had a few looks on the 2nd part of Phase 2. unfortunately we couldn't really try out how the add handling works out, if I have to cancel RF or not, and so on.

but well. if we manage to pick up where we left tomorrow we might hopefully start working on P3 :) (before we take another week off of raiding, as people can't make it...)

problem is that if your co-tank is a warrior , you probably going to have a boring time at progression ... he can easily solotank p2 with maybe 2 or 3 externals. It's not too hard. So for example in our raid i only taunt once in p1 to get a bit veng for t1. Then in p2 just before the whirl to get a bit veng. for LH and helping to get out the mind controlled people and in P3 because of the exploding tank debuff. Its basicaly the most boring fight for me i have seen in a long time. A bit anihilate soaking is no problem as i mainly using a short cooldown and a 1 big cooldown i know i'm not gonna need in a few minutes, also soaking does not stress healers or is any dangerous in this case. We tried the excesive vengeance shareing in some point at progression for a few tries but in the end the raiddmg was a bit lower or equal and we had a few "boss taunt imunities" to handle which is not good at progression :)

For example here you have a log-entry only for T1 Anihilate Phase. Yûko is soaking, Paw is not soaking as he will need the cooldowns afterwards. The difference is >10m Dmg on the boss.

But the whole thing is depending on your tactic.
samsara

Postby Kai » Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:28 am

it makes phase 3 massively easier. we have to do 0 empowered whirl add killing. push him into p3 before the first empowered whirl in p2 and get him to 0% before the second emp whirl in phase 3, meaning we only get one emp whirl and those adds are being kited. not sure if thats viable if you 'skip' intermission 2 though, at least with our dps it wouldn't work out.
Kai

Postby Schroom » Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:45 pm

and down he goes.

~200 trys. My prediction was right :) great fight. I liked it a lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9WA2xUJVyg
Schroom

Next

Return to Mists of Pandaria Raids (T14+)