Theck's MATLAB thread - MoP/5.x

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Re: Theck's MATLAB thread - MoP/5.x

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:54 pm

Thels wrote:Let me word it a little differently. Say CS>J>AS>HW>HoW>ES>Cons is a 1000 DPS increase over CS>J>AS>HW>ES>HoW>Cons during execute phase. Over the course of an entire fight, that would mean a 200 DPS increase, which we either would not notice, or would doubt, considering the margin of error. If the entire fight was used in Execute phase, it would be a 1000 DPS increase, which would stick out of the margin of error more clearly.

Ah, I see what you mean. I'll look into it.

Thels wrote:Hmyeah. I was thinking about Ovale scripts, which are quite similar to SimC action lists, only you can't assume that the player has been performing a perfect rotation up to now. As long as the "player" is performing a perfect rotation, it shouldn't be an issue, unless at very high (well beyond 50%) haste levels. Heroism or Kafa Press might screw up the rotation. I guess Kafa Press is not included in Simcraft, but does it use Heroism?

I'd think that as soon as you deviate from the ideal rotation, the best thing would be to try to slip back into that ideal rotation. The waits for CS and J should ensure that happens at some point, and as soon as you snag one the other should come up naturally.

AFAIK SimC doesn't use Kafa Press. But it does use heroism on the pull.

Thels wrote:Hmm, that's a pretty large difference. With the downtime going down from 28.9% to 23.4%, that's a decrease in downtime of 19%. :o

The funny thing is, DPS went up!

Waiting for J is probably a DPS increase because it's essentially J plus 1/3 of SotR, which should eclipse our weaker fillers. CS+1/3 of SotR is still less damage, hence the DPS loss. Or at least, that's what I'm guessing without looking too carefully at the html files.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Thels » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:51 am

theckhd wrote:
Thels wrote:Hmyeah. I was thinking about Ovale scripts, which are quite similar to SimC action lists, only you can't assume that the player has been performing a perfect rotation up to now. As long as the "player" is performing a perfect rotation, it shouldn't be an issue, unless at very high (well beyond 50%) haste levels. Heroism or Kafa Press might screw up the rotation. I guess Kafa Press is not included in Simcraft, but does it use Heroism?

I'd think that as soon as you deviate from the ideal rotation, the best thing would be to try to slip back into that ideal rotation. The waits for CS and J should ensure that happens at some point, and as soon as you snag one the other should come up naturally.

The thing is, if you put w to 0.5 seconds, and you have J available at 0.49 seconds, and CS available at 0.98 seconds, it would effectively wait 0.98 seconds for CS to be available. Say you also have a Grand Crusader proc available, I could imagine that AS might be worth to use instead of waiting for 0.98 seconds, as there's a decent chance we get another AS proc within 0.98 seconds+2 GCD.

However, since SimC is doing things perfectly, that shouldn't be any issue.

Another, somewhat unrelated issue. If someone else would be interested to perform similar tests for say, Retribution, or perhaps another class. Are there ways to use your methods without reinventing the wheel? I honestly have zero knowledge about MATLAB, other than knowing that you use it. :P
ImageImage
Thels

Postby theckhd » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:28 am

Ah, I see what you mean. Chaining waits basically. Yeah, I don't know how to get around that in an actual gameplay scenario. That can happen no matter what wait time you choose.

In theory, what I've done is modular, so we could set it up to run Ret with some adaptation. But of course you'd need MATLAB. I've been thinking about converting it to something like Python, so that it's more accessible, but that's a fairly large time investment because I don't actually know Python yet.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Thels » Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:45 pm

I think it's actually fairly simple:

- CS
- Wait if CS < 0.5 seconds
- J
- Wait if J < 0.5 seconds unless (CS - J) < 0.5 seconds.
- Rest of rotation

Basically, do not wait for J if by the time J pops up, you're won't press it, because you'll be waiting for CS to pop up.

I haven't checked to see how that's done in the SimC action list, but I imagine that must be supported by SimC somehow?
ImageImage
Thels

Postby theckhd » Sat Feb 01, 2014 2:00 pm

Right now, the default SimC APL only has the wait for CS. But yes, it would support something like
/wait,sec=cooldown.judgment.remains,if=cooldown.judgment.remains>0*cooldown.judgment.remains<0.5&cooldown.crusader_strike.remains>0&(cooldown.crusader_strike.remains-cooldown.judgment.remains)<0.5
theckhd

Postby Thels » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:28 pm

theckhd wrote:Right now, the default SimC APL only has the wait for CS. But yes, it would support something like
/wait,sec=cooldown.judgment.remains,if=cooldown.judgment.remains>0*cooldown.judgment.remains<0.5&cooldown.crusader_strike.remains>0&(cooldown.crusader_strike.remains-cooldown.judgment.remains)<0.5

This should be enough, I think:
/wait,sec=cooldown.judgment.remains,if=cooldown.judgment.remains>0&cooldown.judgment.remains<0.5&(cooldown.crusader_strike.remains-cooldown.judgment.remains)>0.5
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Cømplex » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:57 am

Hello I just joined this forum today as I'm starting first time tankadin ^_^ I was looking for a guideline on gearing as a pala tank and noticed that the links provided for the wowhead profile default gear sets aren't working. Is there anyway to get those back up?
Cømplex

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:14 am

Cømplex wrote:Hello I just joined this forum today as I'm starting first time tankadin ^_^ I was looking for a guideline on gearing as a pala tank and noticed that the links provided for the wowhead profile default gear sets aren't working. Is there anyway to get those back up?

you're looking for these boards -- viewforum.php?f=3
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Cømplex » Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:47 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Cømplex wrote:Hello I just joined this forum today as I'm starting first time tankadin ^_^ I was looking for a guideline on gearing as a pala tank and noticed that the links provided for the wowhead profile default gear sets aren't working. Is there anyway to get those back up?

you're looking for these boards -- viewforum.php?f=3

Thanks but what I meant was the wowhead links on the front page. But this will do ^^
Cømplex

Postby theckhd » Mon Aug 25, 2014 12:50 pm

The links died for a few reasons, not least of which because I deleted those profiles a little while ago. Since we're pretty much done with this expansion and those gear sets are no longer interesting for the purposes of theorycrafting, I don't intend to spend time re-making them.
theckhd

Postby theckhd » Sat Oct 11, 2014 5:07 pm

Closing / Locking this thread for posterity.
theckhd

Previous

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations