Coming back after 2 years and now I'm just floored...

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Coming back after 2 years and now I'm just floored...

Postby Zeruvar » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:44 pm

Hello fellow tankadins, as my title says I've been out of WoW since doing the first tier of cataclysm raids. After reading news about the "new?" char models coming out soon, I bought MoP on sale and installed it on monday. Decided to get my pally to at least get my pally to 90 before the new expansion hits and see what's been changed in Azeroth. First off this is mostly a rant about how confused I am about the patch changes I missed, but if anyone has some tips i wouldnt mind. I've still got a long list of wowhead/wowwiki/forum reading to catch up on in anycase.

Turns out theres too much changed. Talents, glyphs, skills, account wide changes, transmog (dont even know where or what it does), void bank(?), LFR(?), loot drops, upgradeable gear, and I swear even quest rewards base their options on which class you have.

Im having a headache playing catchup and since i'm hitting 90 tomorrow I'm sure it's going to get more confusing since I'd have to search the optimal way to get geared...

But then if it gets too much, theres always leveling a twink panda, too bad they cant be pallys.
Zeruvar

Re: Coming back after 2 years and now I'm just floored...

Postby Worldie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:23 am

Welcome to MoP sir, make sure you don't get scared too much by pugs asking retardedly high standards from people.
(But then, assuming you played in Wotlk/Cata, you probably are used to it)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Zeruvar » Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:42 am

Haha thanks.

Funny thing is that was the exact first impression i got when I tried out normal random lfg. I mentioned its my first time in MoP dungeon at the start, and when I pulled a mob that I "didnt have to", a dps tells me "why pull everything?". Had to remind him its my first time, and I only have a bare idea of the layout.
Zeruvar

Postby Worldie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:04 am

having recently going "fully casual" myself after many years of heroic raiding, I can tell you the game is very enjoyable atm at both level cap and leveling for a casual player, as long as you don't let the retardness of people get into your head.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Thels » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:16 am

Zeruvar wrote:transmog (dont even know where or what it does)

Transmog is the thing that makes you cry over all the nice looking gear that you ever sold/disenchanted once you got gear with better stats on it, as now you can make your current gear look like any other piece of gear of the same type (plate-plate, shield-shield, 1h sword/axe/mace-1h sword/axe/mace, 2h sword/axe/mace-2h sword/axe/mace, polearm-polearm).

It also makes me have no clue about what MoP gear looks like, as everyone is running around in transmog gear. Well, except for my weapon in my ret spec, since Blizz added Strength polearms to the game, which can't be transmogged into swords. :(

First off, rightclick your own portrait, and see the option "Loot Specialization". Since we now love haste, and like mastery as well, you often want to place it to "Retribution", as haste items do not drop while it's set to "Protection". Of course, if the boss drops a 1hander, shield or tanking trinket, place it back to Protection. You might also want to place it on Protection if the boss drops a lot of Crit items that we aren't interested in. This should apply to boss drops, coin results, quest rewards and timeless tokens.

Not sure if you know your way around, but you probably want to go to Loot Timeless Isle. Check out every single chest you can find (or install an addon to find them all), and use the plate pieces, ring, cloak and trinket, converting them in 496 gear. You can use a Burden of Eternity to convert an item into 535 instead, except for the trinket, which you can buy with Timeless coins. The Burden only works on the tokens, not on the final gear pieces, so it might reward you with total crap.

If you're not going to bother buying craftable items, Helmet is probably the best slot to use your Burden on, as it actually comes with sockets, unlike other pieces. However, there are very nicely craftable 522 helms and boots (ignore the tanking craftables, and take the Mastery/Haste craftables). There are also 553 craftable belts and legs, which aren't as well itemized for us, as they all contain either Parry or Crit. Still, their high item level might make it worth to buy them.

Finally, if you haven't done so already, head to the Tavern in the Mists, and talk to a dude called Wrathion. He'll start the biggest and most agonizing attunement questline to the loot pinata boss that's called Ordos. Along the lines of this attunement questline you also receive a legendary metagem, and a legendary 608 cloak, along with some other items that are quite possibly useless to you by the time you get your hands on them.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Worldie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:23 am

Thels wrote:Finally, if you haven't done so already, head to the Tavern in the Mists, and talk to a dude called Wrathion. He'll start the biggest and most agonizing attunement questline to the loot pinata boss that's called Ordos. Along the lines of this attunement questline you also receive a legendary metagem, and a legendary 608 cloak, along with some other items that are quite possibly useless to you by the time you get your hands on them.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Zeruvar » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:39 am

Thanks a lot, that post helps considerably. At least i know i wont have to suffer heroic randoms from the get go to have a decent start.

Didnt know that bit about right clicking my portrait and loot specialization, thanks.

Transmog, so thats why i see people running around in old tier armour. I just thought its the usual RP folks in my server, thankfully I've kept my favorite armour sets. Judgement plate is still a work in progress (stupid 1st bwl boss - finally beat him yest), but i still have my purple judgement set.

Again thank you very much
Zeruvar

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:51 am

One of the gearing shortcuts is via the Timeless isle; there was a thread a while ago started by another returning player where people posted some good advice and links.

Edit: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=33612

There's a link to a guide to the isle; it's by far the fastest catch-up route, gear-wise.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:49 am

You can also buy 489 epics for Justice Points at the Temple of Niu'zao.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Worldie » Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:58 am

And several 496 epics for JPs as well, at the operation shieldwall and kirin tor offensive quartermasters.

The 522 valor neck doesnt require any rep to buy, but to buy other 522 valor items you will have to run ToT lfr a handful times.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby bldavis » Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:30 pm

Worldie wrote:And several 496 epics for JPs as well, at the operation shieldwall and kirin tor offensive quartermasters.

The 522 valor neck doesnt require any rep to buy, but to buy other 522 valor items you will have to run ToT lfr a handful times.

just once now, as they just require friendly and you can get that in the first wing

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Zeruvar » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:24 pm

Edit: thanks again for the link to the older thread. It had a TI guide that ive been looling around for and also answered most of questions I had in my head.

As suggested soon as i hit 90, went straight to Timeless isle right away.

And all i can say is WOW. Loot is practically handed to you in a silver platter. Just ran around grabbing quests and chests got me from ilvl 430 to 460 in no time. Was mostly just running from aggro mobs and pvpers.

Because of that heroics and scenarios where easy enough to just blast through. Now im looking into filling out random pieces (trinks mostly) and checking out those rep factions and the legendary questline.

I saw theres a tanking weapon and shield in TI but the coin price was too high (only had 4500 farmed from chests and quests) so im going to search around for other options for now.

At least now i know gearing up my alts wont be as hard haha
Zeruvar

Postby Thels » Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:59 am

A temporary placeholder for your trinket might be the Ghost Iron Dragonling. It provides you with 600 rating in 3 different secondary stats. Use Haste in the first slot, then use Hit and Expertise in the second and third slot if you are not over the caps by gear already (7.5% hit, 15% exp). If you are, use Mastery and then Dodge.

There's a guaranteed 450 weapon from the Arena of Annihilation Normal Scenario, and you can loot a nice 463 weapon from the first boss in the Stormstout Brewery Heroic Dungeon. Blacksmiths can craft a 463 shield for relatively cheap.

Overall, it's probably more efficient to simply farm the coins on Timeless Isle, until you have enough to buy them.

I dunno if there's still a 480 ilvl requirement for Heroic Scenarios, but once you can run them, run them once a day. They have a decent chance of dropping random 516 pieces the first time per day that you run them. Downside is that those pieces hardly have any sockets, but neither do the Timeless pieces.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Worldie » Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:12 am

Thels wrote:I dunno if there's still a 480 ilvl requirement for Heroic Scenarios, but once you can run them, run them once a day. They have a decent chance of dropping random 516 pieces the first time per day that you run them. Downside is that those pieces hardly have any sockets, but neither do the Timeless pieces.

There's craftable 463 weapon and 476 shield which cost probably less than the 463 shield

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby jere » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:56 pm

Zeruvar wrote:
I saw theres a tanking weapon and shield in TI but the coin price was too high (only had 4500 farmed from chests and quests) so im going to search around for other options for now.

At least now i know gearing up my alts wont be as hard haha

I've actually done multiple alts this way now. One thing to comment on. If you go for all the chests on the isle (even all the moss covered ones) and all the quests, and kill 5-10 rares along with everyone else, I usually have 20k coins within 1-2 days. The moss covered chests seemed to be pretty good. I normally get 250-400 coins from each one and there are a lot of them. Sometimes you can get a 2 digit amount of coins, but it has been pretty rare for me.

Also, make sure to explore the cave and pick up as many of the purple stones in there as you can. They have a chance to drop a good multiuse elixer (the one that drops off the guy near the farm in VotFW). +500 to stats is pretty nice.
jere

Next

Return to General