Remove Advertisements

Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning Returns

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning Returns

Postby Nikachelle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:48 am

After being convinced by a friend, I downloaded the demo this morning and played it through (it's on the short side, even for a demo) and I have to say... holy hell was I impressed. I've tried to play XIII through twice now and the most I've ever made it was about 20 hours in. I hated the battle system, I hated the useless characters where you set them up with auto commands but never actually get to use them yourself. I also totally missed out on XIII-2 since I was disgusted with the first one in the series. So I wasn't really looking forward to Lightning Returns as I've been dying for them to just leave XIII alone and move on with a brand new FF.

Welp, they totally re-arranged the battle system and even though you're only playing one character now, you have control over all your actions. AND it has dress spheres similar to X-2 (shush haters). I'm so excited for this now! Kind of wondering just how much backstory I'm missing from the games that preceded this one though. I'm hoping reading through the storyline on Wikipedia or something will be enough context for me.

Anyone else played the demo?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning Returns

Postby Aubade » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:55 am

I have not played through the demo, but I did play through XIII and XIII-2

I am super looking forward to Lightning Returns. If you want to play it for reals, I reccomend you read a spoiler guide for XIII but actually play through XIII-2, it was MUCH better for gameplay, and still really good. The story is not going to make much sense to you unless you play XIII-2. There's a lot that happens there that will be addressed in XIII-Lightning Returns.

Welcome back to the XIII Bandwagon =] It's a small wagon =[
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:06 am

I read through the storyline for XIII and since I'd played bits of it, it made sense. But my mind kind of blanked while trying to read the one for XIII-2. I'm going to try looking for a YouTube storyline recap or something.

The gameplay of XIII-2 is the same as the previous one though! Or so I read... I really, REALLY hated the automation of the other characters. How is it better than the previous one? (You really need to sell me on this because I'm so not inclined to play it at all.)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:16 pm

Well for XIII-2 I really enjoyed the skipping around. Instead of a linear storyline it's more of a "Jump around in time and space" storyline. as far as gameplay, it's been awhile, but I remember it being much more engaging than XIII, and instead of 3 people whom you only control one, it's 2 people and I believe you can switch between both of them.

I just saw it as a vast improvement. With XIII I struggled to finish, but I was interested in the story so much I powered through.

XIII-2 I actually enjoyed playing.
Aubade

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:39 pm

I liked XIII and XIII-2 enough to 100% both of them last March. I'd agree with Aubade -- I did think -2 was far stronger of the two, but I did like them both, but -2 was far more polished and interesting, IIRC.

I don't know if any of the Lightning Returns storyline is going to make any sense without knowing -2. Of course, there's a decent chance the storyline isn't going to make sense anyway ...

Good to hear the demo's strong.

Edit-- it was two years ago. Holy hell where'd the time go.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:49 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:I liked XIII and XIII-2 enough to 100% both of them last March. I'd agree with Aubade -- I did think -2 was far stronger of the two, but I did like them both, but -2 was far more polished and interesting, IIRC.

I don't know if any of the Lightning Returns storyline is going to make any sense without knowing -2. Of course, there's a decent chance the storyline isn't going to make sense anyway ...

Good to hear the demo's strong.

Edit-- it was two years ago. Holy hell where'd the time go.

The demo is incredibly strong. And I don't know if I'm missing out on pieces of the gameplay elements because they just didn't have time to get into it the demo (or you know... maybe I'm getting smarter with age), but this is the first time I completely understood how the hell to play the game without having to do any external research. Usually FF games start off with me spending the first five hours going "wtf I don't understand how to play this at alllllllll". (Or in the case of FFVIII where it's 20-30 hours in and I still don't understand why I feel the need to Draw 100 of every type of damn spell I can find.)

Gameplay style was very Kingdom Hearts mixed with FFX-2 dress spheres and I think there was something like materia involvement on weapons (not really unique to FFVII, but you get the idea).

I do have to say though... 2 gigs for ~15 minutes of watching/playing was a bit nasty.

Edit: I'll see if I can find a used copy of FFXIII-2 somewhere, although I have to say I doubt I can blast through it before Lightning Returns' launch date. Oddly... Amazon(.ca) doesn't seem to be carrying it which seems kind of odd. I've also had problems getting my hands on Kingdom Hearts 1.5 which came out in October... are they just totally taking games off their stock now? o.O
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Snake-Aes » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:12 pm

Nikachelle wrote:(Or in the case of FFVIII where it's 20-30 hours in and I still don't understand why I feel the need to Draw 100 of every type of damn spell I can find.)
Because Sharing is Caring, and with Draw you grab your foes by their necks and wrest the love out of their innocent, murderous bodies.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:26 am

Borrowed it off a friend... and I have to say, the first hour or so of XIII-2 is more fun than the twenty hours I played of XIII! Thank god. Now to grind the game so I can finish it before Lightning Returns comes out...

Edit: Wait what? http://www.howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=3534

Only 27 hours for the main storyline? ~41 hours for extras? What happened to the 90 hour games?!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:03 pm

Yeah XIII-2 was pretty quick. Enjoyable though! And I think they did that to cut out the fat really. I never had to actually grind the whole game. Just progress constantly.
Aubade

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:51 pm

Dang, I'm going to have to go and check how much /played I have for those games.

https://secure.us.playstation.com/logge ... zygeek_008

Looking at this I wonder why I even have a PS3.

Oh yeah, Final Fantasy.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:19 am

Just an update... I'm so happy with this game now. It makes me wonder why I hated XIII so much (although I did try to play through it three separate times) since I don't feel like XIII-2 is that different. I have really, REALLY missed playing new FF games so it's a bit of a relief to like it again.

Also, I've always loved moogles, but this incarnation of the moogle is the cutest damn thing I've ever seen, especially when he speaks. D'awwww.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Feb 03, 2014 4:48 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NFmP4fVBqA

Relevant. Still confusing as fuck.

Also spoilers.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:50 pm

picking it up on my way home from work today, I'm excited =]
Aubade

Postby Aubade » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:03 pm

Sorry for the crappy quality. But cellphone lol

also; I'm pretty impressed (As in, haven't seen it before, but I'm sure it's not original) with the in-game Installation option. Most of the time you have to do that through the Ps3 system itself.

Aubade

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:18 pm

I've never even heard of a game installation... the heck is that?

Mine's on order through Amazon, although a bit weird it wasn't delivered today (or even shipped yet for that matter). Doesn't really matter though because I still haven't finished XIII-2 which is fine because I AM LOVING IT.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Other Games