All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Nakama » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:28 pm

Obviously I'm not happy the Pats missed out, but they deserved to lose that game. They just didn't seem like they were interested in being there, honestly.

I'm going to go with Shoju's score, as I think that Denver operating on all cylinders will beat the Seahawks defense and that Skittles/Beast Mode with Baldwin/Tate isn't quite enough against Denver. I'm sure statistics won't quite back that up, but that's my gut feeling going into it.

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:54 pm

Nakama wrote:Obviously I'm not happy the Pats missed out, but they deserved to lose that game. They just didn't seem like they were interested in being there, honestly.

I'm going to go with Shoju's score, as I think that Denver operating on all cylinders will beat the Seahawks defense and that Skittles/Beast Mode with Baldwin/Tate isn't quite enough against Denver. I'm sure statistics won't quite back that up, but that's my gut feeling going into it.

--Jed

If it makes any difference, Baldwin/Tate will be upgraded to Baldwin/Tate/Harvin for the Super Bowl. Harvin will be cleared from concussion and be ready to go. In my opinion, that adds an extra dimension to the offense. I believe Wilson extending plays will make Harvin practically uncoverable as a receiver, and I think a defense having to spy Lynch and Wilson has enough on their plate without having to watch for Harvin coming across in motion as a potential runner.

I think Denver did well shutting down the Patriots running game, but Brady was never going to run anywhere. Wilson will.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:15 am

I just don't think Denver's defense, in its current state, is very good. Seattle should be able to move the ball pretty consistently, and I think Denver is going to have a tough time on offense. Manning is likely be under considerable pressure all game. This is the exact type of offense this defense was built to stop. You can run on Seattle but I don't think Denver/Manning is patient enough for it.

My big worry is Seattle's youth. Seattle tends to open pretty tight in big games and I'm sure they'll be puckering in this one, but as long as it doesn't get away from them, they'll be fine.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:37 pm

Koatanga wrote:If it makes any difference, Baldwin/Tate will be upgraded to Baldwin/Tate/Harvin for the Super Bowl. Harvin will be cleared from concussion and be ready to go.

That will be a nice series before Harvin gets injured again.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 21, 2014 2:25 pm

Flex wrote:
Koatanga wrote:If it makes any difference, Baldwin/Tate will be upgraded to Baldwin/Tate/Harvin for the Super Bowl. Harvin will be cleared from concussion and be ready to go.

That will be a nice series before Harvin gets injured again.

Reckon it'll be an entire series?

To be fair, concussions are pretty common when receivers get smashed like he did, twice. If Wilson doesn't throw him hospital passes, he might last all game.
Koatanga

Postby Paxen » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:16 pm

Fridmarr wrote:You can run on Seattle but I don't think Denver/Manning is patient enough for it.

Manning loves the run. If it's there, he'll take it every time.

Remember Brady-Manning XIV earlier this year? NE were without Wilfork and their other defensive star (ILB, name escapes me). The Broncos ran it up the gut for 10 yards repeatedly.
Paxen

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:31 pm

Paxen wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:You can run on Seattle but I don't think Denver/Manning is patient enough for it.

Manning loves the run. If it's there, he'll take it every time.

Remember Brady-Manning XIV earlier this year? NE were without Wilfork and their other defensive star (ILB, name escapes me). The Broncos ran it up the gut for 10 yards repeatedly.

I'm not exactly sure what he means by patient, but it could have to do with suffering the losses and short gains long enough to wear Seattle's defense down. SF tried running with Gore, but gave up after 11 rushes netted only 14 yards. It's possible the Seahawks would have softened up a bit had SF rushed it a few more times, but I don't think SF could afford the additional negative plays before anything opened up.

Seattle tends to use big bodies to shut down the run, then bring in speed guys once the running game has been abandoned. There are opportunities to run the ball at that point, but many times the opposition sees stats like Gore rushing for 14 yards on 11 plays, and doesn't go back to the run.

I think if you have Peyton Manning on your team and you don't have initial success running the football, you're likely to give up on it and rely on Manning's arm, which is what I think Fridmarr means by not being "patient enough" to run the ball on the Seahawks.
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:34 pm

On cleveland brown news
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-manziel/
and
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... evela.html

TBH, I'd rather see Manziel with the Cowboys, for lulz
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:59 pm

Paxen wrote:Remember Brady-Manning XIV earlier this year? NE were without Wilfork and their other defensive star (ILB, name escapes me). The Broncos ran it up the gut for 10 yards repeatedly.

Koatanga covered some of it and I agree with his comments, but my primary reason for saying that is a little bit different.

I'm glad you mentioned the regular season NE game, because that's a prime example of what I mean. In that game, they could run the ball at will. They had almost a 6 yard average per carry, and 280 (an absurd number) yards total. NE was totally playing pass D, and Manning was having issues, he ended the game with a paltry 4.2 yard average per attempt (never mind the turnovers on pass plays).

Now here's why he's not committed to the run...On 18 third down attempts, he ran the ball...all of twice. And one of those was on a gimme to setup a field goal (third and goal from the 16), not even an attempt to get a first down. Never mind the 24 point lead. Not on a single third down after the 1st period did they run. They ended up being 1-2 converting third down rushing and 7-16 passing.

They can run on Seattle, but they aren't going to get 5 yards every time they carry, so they're going to hit third downs.

Which brings me to what I actually think is the most important point:
Paxen wrote:Manning loves the run. If it's there, he'll take it every time.
That's just it, against the Seahawks it's NEVER there. They never line up with 2 safeties, they don't play cover two, they rarely nickel (in a reasonable run situation), and rarely blitz. They play, almost exclusively, press man and that is a pass read, not a run read. If you are going to run at Seattle, you aren't going to win the formation battle because you can't scare them out of man, you have to beat them up front. That's doable, but it's not the style Denver/Manning uses.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Paxen » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:55 am

Koatanga wrote:I think if you have Peyton Manning on your team and you don't have initial success running the football, you're likely to give up on it and rely on Manning's arm, which is what I think Fridmarr means by not being "patient enough" to run the ball on the Seahawks.

And if Seattle later on brings in speed guys, Manning is the one person I'm sure will rub his hands in glee and audible into runs.

edit: So if the Seahawks always play run first (and trust their defenders to stop passes out of it)...why is running on them late going to help?

And if you guys have figured out that you can run on Seattle late, don't you think Manning knows that too?
Paxen

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:21 am

The speed guys are part of their normal rotation. They aren't bad against the run, they are just very good at rushing the QB. If there's one area of the team that Seattle has ridiculous depth, it's the defensive line. They have 5 (maybe 6) guys that would be starters on any other team.

I think Denver will run enough to keep Seattle honest, but that's about it. I would be surprised if they have more than 20 rushes, unless they get out to a big lead or something. They probably shouldn't change who they are anyhow.

Unfortunately for Denver, they'll likely be attacking the teeth of that defense more often than not. Of course, Manning and crew are very good, so maybe they'll be successful doing that. No matter how good a defensive back is, it's hard to beat a well run route, with a well timed and accurate throw. Denver will certainly have some success. I personally, just don't think they'll have it consistently enough to score the points that they will need.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:41 am

Klaudandus wrote:On cleveland brown news
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... r-manziel/
and
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.s ... evela.html

TBH, I'd rather see Manziel with the Cowboys, for lulz

This is hilarity at it's finest.

The Browns Front Office, is so ready to drop to their knees for Johnny Football, and swallow hard, but they can't seem to find a coach who actually wants the job.

Why? Because the growing understanding in Cleveland is that the front office isn't even willing to entertain the idea of the coach having input on personnel. Of course, they aren't going to give him full control, but the growing consensus, going all the way back to training camp, and then the Trich trade, is that the opinions of the coaching staff regarding personnel are not listened to, not valued, not even given a moments notice. 3 sticks, Lombardi, and Banner are calling the shots, and they will "buy the groceries", for the coach to cook with.

And after the failings of the team this past season, they aren't willing to admit that they didn't do enough to build a winner, that they didn't evaluate talent properly (Read: Gordon, Rainey, the guy we released who went to the Jets, and was highly productive after fully recovering from his knee, Mingo, Winn, Sheard, and on and on). They valued people that were not as good as they thought, and didn't value the guys who were good.

And they put that blame on the staff.

Now, the staff isn't without blame. But the front office is just as much to blame.

And no coach wants to walk into a position, where they have no control over personnel at all, and will have a very finite amount of time to construct a winner, or risk getting canned.

I still look back at what Adam Schefter reported. They were mad because of the job that Kelly did in Philly, as opposed to the job that Chud did in Cleveland. It is indicative of the mentality in the front office.

With Turner gone, we don't even have a viable coordinator to promote any longer, and the one and only college coach that even remotely sounded interested in taking the job (Bob Stoops, gave coy non committal answers when pressed about interest in the job), they have said they have no interest in interviewing.

The reason?
Because he's an Ohio guy. And they want to get away from the Ohio guy, who grew up a Browns fan, and the savior complex. This of course, completely dismisses the notion that they have alienated any other type of candidate with even a passing interest.

But hey, Pettine (Buff DC) is back in Cleveland for another interview today. He wasn't the first choice. He wasn't even the 5th choice. But by god, if they hire him, we'll see the same dog and pony show we saw last season with Chud, and when they fail, he'll be given the boot anyway.

Because it all comes down to Curly and Moe. I mean Banner and Lombardi. They are the problem. Jimmy Boy is too busy dealing with the federal probe that is 8 ft up his rectum, and it's apparent to those who follow the local media. I guess I'd be preoccupied with them as well if I had prison time, and the loss of my 1 billion dollar investment on the line.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:17 am

On more Browns news
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Can't say I blame her.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:51 pm

Klaudandus wrote:On more Browns news
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... --nfl.html

Can't say I blame her.

I'm a browns fan, and I sure as shit don't blame her.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:56 pm

someone replaced the broncos with the browns
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General