THE paladin race?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

THE paladin race?

Postby bldavis » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:00 am

I know we have the Alliance Paladin Pride thread, and I recall a similar one for horde
but I am curious...

in your opinions...what is the proper paladin race?
is there lore for a race you do or don't like?
do you agree with the racial choices so far when a new race joins us as brother/sister warriors for the light?
what race do you think should join the fold?
what race would cause you to hang up the cause of righteousness for good if they were allowed to call themselves paladin (or racial equivalent)?
what spec/role do you see each of the races most comfortable with?

just for reference, at time of posting, there are current 5 races that can be the paladin class
Alliance:
Human
Dwarf
Draenei

Horde:
Blood Elf
Tauren

i am curious to see the answers and opinions this will get in response! :twisted:
edit: changed wording on one of the questions hopefully for more clarity and added another question to the list
Last edited by bldavis on Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: THE paladin race?

Postby Era » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:34 am

in your opinions...what is the proper paladin race?

Human. Uther and so on. I love the Uther story, as well as Tirion and Arthas' story. Delicious lore.

is there lore for a race you do or don't like?

Currently it's all good imo. I feel they integrated Tauren sunwalkers pretty well.

do you agree with the racial choices when a new race joins us as brother/sister warriors for the light?

Like, do I agree with the races that have currently been given access to paladin class? If so, then yes, it's all good so far. I wasn't around when Horde first got pallies though (and Alliance shamans), I imagine there might've been some controversy? :roll:

what race do you think should join the fold?

Purely because of aesthetics, I'd like to see orcs. I like orcs. But because of lore, I think the most likely candidate will (kind of ironically) be the Forsaken. Which is also kind of cool.

what race would cause you to hang up the cause of righteousness for good if they were allowed to call themselves paladin (or racial equivalent)?

Goddamn pandas, goblins and gnomes. I don't like them. Sorry Worldie, I know you've got a thing for the gnomes. :P
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:20 am

Personal bias: Dwarves are the best everything.
Lorewise: Draenei and Humans are the quintessential Paladin races, and I think Draenei edge Humans out slightly because they're taught by the living embodiment of the Light.

I think the Tauren paladins are a bit... iffy, since they kind of had to shoehorn them in with this "not really a Paladin, but identical" thing, but I don't have a big issue with them.

I don't really think there's any need to expand the races at this point, but I wouldn't mind seeing Gnome, Orc, Troll, or Forsaken Paladins. Don't think there's any I'd totally object to, although Goblin would be near-impossible to pull off convincingly.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:52 am

Era wrote:I don't like them. Sorry Worldie, I know you've got a thing for the gnomes. :P

Quite a lot of Worldie's characters are now Blood Elfs :)

I think the "iconic" paladin race has to be Human. Uther, Arthas (before he went cuckoo), The Silver Hand etc.

I think the most interesting paladin race is the Blood Elfs. They took on the class, but didn't try to copy the Alliance version of the Paladin, with all that righteousness and justice mumbo-jumbo. The sheer arrogance of using a Naaru to get their powers totally fits with the whole "the end justifies the means" philosophy of the Sin'dorei.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby bldavis » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:12 am

might as well reply to my own thread..

i personally agree with Kysen in that dwarf ANYTHING are awesome, esp when you add in the other clans..
but THE paladin race for me is the original paladins of the silver hand, the humans.

as for racial lore i do and dont like
do -
Draenei - they were taught by the Naruu..you know, the angels of this cosmos..
Dwarves - long time allies of the Humans, and also fellow order of the silver hand members (iirc)
and honestly, Blood Elves - i dont like how they became Blood Knights, but i like the reason WHY they did. it was for the continuation of their people and they did what they felt they had to

do NOT -
tauren - dont get me wrong, i love the sunwalkers...but tauren paladin and priest lore makes me think they are just the day version of druids..
they worship the sun, druids worship the moon. i mean ffs, the Nelf priests all worship the moon as well...very strong tie to druidism there, and not so much to the Light.

as for agreeing with already put in place paladins, i am glad there is a more religious plate wearing option for tauren, just seems to fit the race, and the others i all like the lore behind so ..so far yes i do

race i think should join the fold?
i have to say Foresaken for a number of reasons
1 - give both factions 3 paladin races (at the same time, gnome shamans...please give us gnome shamans)
2 - most foresaken are former Lorederan citizens, a hub of paladin activity
3 - foresaken can already be priests
4 - Sir Zellek, the only paladin righteous enough to maintain his paladin powers after being raised. could be an example to all foresaken paladins
5 - tying into #3 and #4, human and dwarf paladins evolved from clerics and priests who put on armor for more protection, and warriors who found the light for the same reason. the foresaken have priests and warriors, and as a race should be familiar with the light.

side note - etheral paladins? i would go for that given the right back story

what race would make me foresake paladins and the path of the light?
goblins is a definite. i love the race and its lore...but no. gob shamans is a MASSIVE stretch, but i can see it happening how they explained.
gob pallies? just no

orcs - orcs throughout both fantasy history and in this universe have been shown as blood frenzied killing machines i cannot see orcs having the patience and calmness to do the meditation and study that is needed to be a paladin.

possibilities for me begrudgingly accepting as new paladin races
panderan - they dont have the Light, but they do have priests. they could have a similar source of power as the tauren sunwalkers

trolls - they have loa priests, and troll druids are supposed to be powerful loa priests. what is to say that they cannot channel that energy into someone in plate armor? it would be a MASSIVE stretch, but i would be ok with it if handled properly

and finally - i have to disagree with Era..
Gnomes as paladins i think would be amazing!
they have learned from the dwarfs how to be priests, and can already weild the weapons of the paladin through their warriors..
and being arguably the smartest (and most absent minded at times) of the azerothian races..i am sure if given enough time, gnome warriors and priests would get together with some of their fellow alliance paladins and learn to be a warrior of the light.

oh and as a note, if something isnt clear in my first post, let me know and i will edit it to hopefully make it more clear what i was intending :D

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:32 am

4 - Sir Zellek, the only paladin righteous enough to maintain his paladin powers after being raised. could be an example to all foresaken paladins

I was under the impression that the Lich King let Sir Zeliek retain his holy powers as a form of torture.
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:17 am

bldavis wrote:in your opinions...what is the proper paladin race?

Trolls.

bldavis wrote:is there lore for a race you do or don't like?

All of them that aren't trolls.

bldavis wrote:do you agree with the racial choices so far when a new race joins us as brother/sister warriors for the light?

Once the VOodoo Shuffle is in, I'm fine.

bldavis wrote:what race do you think should join the fold?

I bet you can't guess the answer here.

Trolls.

bldavis wrote:what race would cause you to hang up the cause of righteousness for good if they were allowed to call themselves paladin (or racial equivalent)?

Worgen. Who the **** Wants to see a dog paladin.
Shoju

Postby KysenMurrin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:36 am

Shoju wrote:Worgen. Who the **** Wants to see a dog paladin.

Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Jezakael » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:59 am

Even though their story isn't as fleshed out as that of the Humans who have several major lore characters (Uther, Tirion,...) I guess Draenei are the Paladin race. They were the first, they learned from beings of pure light directly and have battled the Burning Legion for eons.

Well, Sunwalkers aren't actual Paladins but Sun Druids but I really like them and don't mind them sharing our class.
Blood Elves have an interesting unique backstory which also rules them out as the epitome of paladinity, they are just their own thing.
Dwarves are badass and look cool in plate armour but they seem to have little connection to the light themselves, just being introduced to the concept fairly recently by the Humans.

I was under the impression that the Lich King let Sir Zeliek retain his holy powers as a form of torture.

I don't think that necessarily rules out Forsaken Paladins, it just lets them fill the martyr niche. All current Paladins are just given their awesome powers by praying to the Light/Sunwell/Sun/Naaru, nobody has to really sacrifice anything to gain them. Even though it has been a theme for a long time, see earlier implementations of Seal of Blood for example.
That being said I don't expect Blizzard changing their stance on Forsaken Paladins anytime soon but if they do I'd be happy.
Jezakael

Postby bldavis » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:10 pm

yes, if you follow the timeline, the draenei were technically first...but the first to be called paladins are the humans and dwarves, which is why i went with them

some of the lore behind undead priests is that they are really tortured because by wielding the light, they are curing themselves of corruption, and through that they gain their human senses back, and can see, taste, smell, hear, and feel just exactly what they are

that is why there are so few undead priests in lore
i would love to see the undead get s story line where they can decide that i will put up with this torture to better serve the light
(personally think that would make them AMAZING ret pallies

oh that is something else i can add!
what spec/role do you see each of the races most comfortable with?

for me,
Humans - ret and holy (so many famous ret pallies (arthas, uther, tyrion) and the first paladins were priests healing on the battlefields who wanted armor to be better protected
dwarves - prot and ret the architype of the dwarven defender is too strong to pass up, but with their skills in combat are the basis of a lot of fantasy tropes, esp in warcraft lore
draenei - holy and prot the paladins of the draenei, the hand of argus, are mostly there to protect the citizens and with the gift of the naruu, i cant help but think they are natural healers as well
belf - prot and holy - they became blood knights to protect and keep their race alive.
and tauren - all 3 honestly - i see them as healers and protectors of the weak, but also willing to go fight against enemies who threaten the peaceful nature

bldavis

Postby Fetzie » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:23 pm

You can add retribution to the Blood Knights (and possibly remove holy). The Blood Knights are like the SAS of the Sin'dorei military. They are both sworn to defend Quel'Thalas and the Lord Regent, and are the "elite" troops of the Silvermoon army.

Fetzie

Postby bldavis » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Fetzie wrote:You can add retribution to the Blood Knights (and possibly remove holy). The Blood Knights are like the SAS of the Sin'dorei military. They are both sworn to defend Quel'Thalas and the Lord Regent, and are the "elite" troops of the Silvermoon army.

you do have a point...
and of all 5 races, i know the least about the blood knights so its nice to learn more of their lore

bldavis

Postby Sagara » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:43 pm

bldavis wrote:
Fetzie wrote:You can add retribution to the Blood Knights (and possibly remove holy). The Blood Knights are like the SAS of the Sin'dorei military. They are both sworn to defend Quel'Thalas and the Lord Regent, and are the "elite" troops of the Silvermoon army.

you do have a point...
and of all 5 races, i know the least about the blood knights so its nice to learn more of their lore

Oh brother there is a LOT to tell, from the open assholes of 2.0 all the way to Liadrin once again teaching the virtues of the Light at the Sunwell. Did you know the Blood knight PC might actually be responsible for the corruption of Aurius in Strat? It's a toss up between the PC killing him and burning down the Chapel or Aurius dying against Rivendare.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:55 pm

Humans are the only true paladins. Dwarves are ok, we like them. Everyone else are just haters who stole our shtick. Even Draenei despite the fact that I like them.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Arnock » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:12 pm

Humans are obviously the 'official' paladin race, but I'm honestly a big fan of the blood knight storyline. They started out draining mu'ru(or however you spell it) for their power, but found redemption post-sunwell.

The only race I'm not fond of are tauren. I just thought the whole 'sunwalker' line was a little bit shoehorned, and I honestly think that undead would have opened up a lot more interesting storylines.

Perhaps, after finally exacting revenge on arthas, some of the forsaken could have found themselves lost and directionless, and possibly turned toward the light. I mean, they used to be the nation of Lordaeron, and some of the forsaken must have been priests or paladins while living.

It at least makes more sense to me than druids who worship the sun but are somehow also paladins.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Next

Return to General