Tom Chilton says Blizzard is considering a F2P model for WoW

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Tom Chilton says Blizzard is considering a F2P model for

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:17 am

How long would they need to maintain a subscription to count as having paid for the current content tier? If someone subscribes for 1 month then cancels immediately, do they get the same access to current content as someone who paid the one-time fee for access? How do you balance the prices in that case?
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Thels » Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:37 am

These different payment levels sound horrible.

If they can't make the jump for F2P for all, they should just stick to the subscriptions, imho.

There are already so many people that show up for an Ordos raid, without having a legendary cloak. Imagine that for every single thing you'll ever invite people on for WoW...
ImageImage
Thels

Postby oldboyz » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:09 pm

i find StarsWar F2P model quite painful/complicated. but, at least, for regular player, when no more content available (or you'll too busy irl), you can put on hold your subscription, and still play it "casually" : this is something very nice for me as a long time player

i'm quite sad i can't do it also with wow, so i'm gonna stop. i'm no more interested to pay a full subscription just for a very casual play as there is no more new content until next year. I might come back for WoD (or not, depending which new game)

i could have pay for a full 2014 subscription if any valuable interest
oldboyz

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:10 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:How long would they need to maintain a subscription to count as having paid for the current content tier? If someone subscribes for 1 month then cancels immediately, do they get the same access to current content as someone who paid the one-time fee for access? How do you balance the prices in that case?

They could just set it up so your subscription gets you a certain number of points each month. You can use those points to purchase any of the items in the store. Each content patch is set as a purchasable item in the store. If you choose to not spend your monthly points on the content... you don't have it (can buy additional points to obtain it or pick it up later on down the road with another monthly allotment.) Secret World has a similar setup with the Grandmaster packs (those that spent the money for a lifetime sub upfront.) I think Rift has a similar thing as well, but I haven't logged in to it in awhile.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Passionario » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:40 am

Worldie wrote:Remember that taking off the subscription is going to take off 7kk+13€ per month = 91 million euros per month of income.

That's not a small amount, and it has to come from something else. Losing 91 millions per month would mean having to dramatically reduce the people that work on WoW.

http://www.thedailyblink.com/2011/12/ex ... sm-part-2/
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Previous

Return to General