Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Flex » Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:58 pm

Pretty sure the best bet for Cleveland would be to move the team to Los Angeles.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:08 pm

I guess the big thing facing the Browns fanbase is the 14 year old elephant in the room.

the 14 years of "When exactly, is "Next Year"?

2 dozen strarting QB's, 7 head coaches, probably close to 100 running backs, have all lined up to be "the savior" of the team. And every time, the fans are left scratching their head.

I realize that the NFL is far different than MLB. In MLB, you can find a guy who has had success, and build a core of former players now coaches, and succeed. In the NFL, it is all about the up and comers, the college coaches, the coordinators. It's just really frustrating. For 14 years, we have had a parade of coordinators, college coaches, whiz kid personnel guys, GM's who "get it", "Football Guys" who are going to make the decisions now, and on and on.

None of it has worked.

And now we are faced with another list of guys that are all trying to be the next great thing. Only... This isn't the "creme de la creme" list of guys trying to be the next best thing. Most of those guys, wouldn't come to cleveland based on the track record alone. Then, when you throw in the three stooges look of the current front office, and it's hard to believe that anyone who has "good" is going to end up here.

Why would you come to Cleveland to be the coach? What is the "carrot on a stick"?

Gordon? Hell, our own front office hates him.

Draft your own QB? I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the AFC N is a shitty weather division, and 8 games a year, you are playing in either Cincy, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, or Cleveland, and you are doing it outdoors, in the elements. Cleveland's weather is unpredictable at best, and miserable at worst. At some point, every season, you are going to need something other than a QB and receivers to win the game. Doubly so, since the NFL has backloaded the schedules to ensure that the end of the season is "Meaningful" in terms of games played. So, you need a ground game as well.

The Defense? Eh... It didn't play as awful as the numbers make it look, but it wasn't great either. If the offense would have been better, the Defense would have been better, and it wouldn't have fallen so flat, in so many important game situations.

A Front Office committed to winning? WEll, they say that, but they haven't shown patience, and they haven't exactly had enough time to show that they are "really" committed to winning.

Why wouldn't you want to come to cleveland?
MAMMOTH expectations. By both the fans, and the front office.
The Weather.
uncertainty in many key positions on the team.
the history
the impatience shown by the current front office.

TO me, there just aren't enough positives to attract a "serious" contender type coach. I hope I'm wrong, and that it's just the "Shoju Pessimism" (TM) showing through.

EDIT:
And Flex; If it keeps going the way it has been, I'm not opposed to that. It'd give me a reason to finally not care about the team anymore.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:27 pm

You need the ownership to say "This is the HC/GM team we will have for the next 4 years come hell or high water". Bailing on a guy after 1 or 2 seasons is asinine. Coaches come in with a vision and have to make do initially with the players on the roster who may or may not fit their vision. The HC/GM need the time to replace the starters with guys they want, as well as to build the depth behind those starters. Only then can you see the picture of what the team can do.

There is no magic bullet. Teams have to commit and let the guy achieve his vision. Some people in Seattle wanted Pete Carroll gone after 2 seasons, but you can't find anyone who will own up to that today.

QBs are a bitch to find. That just has to be worked through.
Koatanga, Capnhammer, Shapely, Sultry, Boondoggle, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:46 pm

http://deadspin.com/revealed-the-hall-o ... socialflow

And sadly, Jack Morris didn't make it.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:55 pm

http://nfl.si.com/2014/01/08/josh-mcdan ... ?eref=sihp

Also, lol, Josh McDaniels wants nothing to do with the Browns.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:17 am

Pretty sure with their track record no one wants anything to do with them.
Teranoid

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:22 am

Teranoid wrote:Pretty sure with their track record no one wants anything to do with them.

Including fans.

On the Hall of Fame side of things, I'm really tired of the selective morality of the whole thing. I'm at a point where I have steroid / PED fatigue with baseball, and the writers trying to be the police is ridiculous.

So is Maddux and Glavine not being unanimous.
So is Biggio having to wait another year.
So is Morris not making it in.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:22 am

You can argue the rightness of Lebatard selling his vote to Deadspin's readers, who put together a hell of a card by the way since no one seems to mention that, but Kornheiser and Wilbon missed the entire point he was making after just covering the reason why he did it the day before.

The day before they talked about the one voter took the righteous stand of "I won't vote for anyone who played in the Steroid era" so only voted for Morris whose career overlapped with Maddux, Glavine and Thomas' careers. So it is some arbitrary cut off date that ignores players taking "greenies" to get up for the game.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Teranoid » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:34 am

Flex wrote:Kornheiser and Wilbon missed the entire point

Oh so another typical episode of PTI then?
Teranoid

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:59 am

I'd take Wilbon, Kornheiser and Heyman's outrage more seriously if they weren't hypocrites -- where was the outrage for whoever voted for Aaron Seele years ago, or left Maddux off their ballot in favor of JT Snow?

Le Batard's card was pretty darn solid, and better than the avg baseball writer, as noted by whoever gave a vote to JT Snow.
Last edited by Klaudandus on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:01 am

Klaudandus wrote:Le Batard's card was pretty darn solid, and better than the avg baseball writer, as noted by whoever gave a vote to JT Snow.

Deadspin isn't all dong shots and Magery swearing. There is a fairly knowledgable sports fan base on the site.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:22 am

I agree, just saying that Heyman is a hypocrite... with the misaimed outrage.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Teranoid » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:25 pm

They're bitching at LeBatard (who for the record I don't like at all) yet there's some dumbfucks who left Biggio off and voted for ARMANDO BENITEZ or JACQUE JONES? Those two votes would have gotten him in.

I'm sorry but this entire voting system is a fucking joke. The old guard of Major League Baseball needs to die out and so does the way Hall of Fame elections take place. All these delusional old sports writers who cannot grasp the fact that it is the year 2014, carry absolutely inane grudges against people because they stiffed them on an interview in 1994, it's all garbage.

The worst part is these idiots will never be held accountable for their stupidity.
Teranoid

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Teranoid wrote:They're bitching at LeBatard (who for the record I don't like at all) yet there's some dumbfucks who left Biggio off and voted for ARMANDO BENITEZ or JACQUE JONES? Those two votes would have gotten him in.

I'm sorry but this entire voting system is a fucking joke. The old guard of Major League Baseball needs to die out and so does the way Hall of Fame elections take place. All these delusional old sports writers who cannot grasp the fact that it is the year 2014, carry absolutely inane grudges against people because they stiffed them on an interview in 1994, it's all garbage.

The worst part is these idiots will never be held accountable for their stupidity.

BUT!... I... Aw hell, I fucking agree 100%
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:02 pm

Teranoid wrote:They're bitching at LeBatard (who for the record I don't like at all) yet there's some dumbfucks who left Biggio off and voted for ARMANDO BENITEZ or JACQUE JONES? Those two votes would have gotten him in.

BUT!... I... Aw hell, I fucking agree 100%
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to General