Remove Advertisements

Looking for a few suggestions for a WordPress Site.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Looking for a few suggestions for a WordPress Site.

Postby Shoju » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:40 am

I know we have some wordpress users on here, and I think a couple of people who actually work in development places for WP type things. I'm building a site for a local Little League. They want to do online registration for kids, and sponsors.

So far, all of the shopping cart options I've looked at, aren't really meeting what I need, and before I sit down, and start hard coding all of this information, I'm hoping someone can point me at a WP shopping cart that will do what I need it to do.

I need it to take a large amount of input.

Name, Address, DOB, Phone Number, E-mail, Insurance Co, Dr name, Parent name

As well as have a drop down, to allow them to pick what leauge they want to join.

So. 9 text inputs, and 1 drop down on a product for 1 item

And then, it would be REALLY nice, if I could also add an upload link on a product, so that I can get a product logo / image from the sponsors for the sponsorship packages.

I only need the cart to accept paypal. Other options are fine, but paypal is the only thing they plan to use, since they can accept all the credit cards, / etc... through their account.

Oh, and if it has a build it 'donate' feature, that'd be great, but I can add a donate button directly through paypal for the donation that they may want to do.

And..... I need it to be free. Preferably. If I can't get it for free, I'll probably have to build it myself, and I REALLY don't want to have to code all of this crap.

So. Word Press People. know of one I can use?
Shoju

Re: Looking for a few suggestions for a WordPress Site.

Postby halabar » Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:50 pm

Shoju,

Haven't installed any carts myself, but from what I understand...

Check to see what Cart software your hosting vendor already has available (if any). There are various plugins and/or themes that are based around some of these.

Failing that, you probably do want to look for a paid theme that already has shopping cart support built in. Most of them are under $50 for a one-site use, so while not free, may be a lot easier than trying to roll your own.

But yeah, once you get into e-commerce, you are going to have to pay something unless you are doing it from scratch.

One other option might be to look at wordpress.com, and see if their basic package includes a shopping cart. Not as much flexibility, but for what you are doing, might be easier to deploy.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shoju » Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:51 pm

halabar wrote:Shoju,

Haven't installed any carts myself, but from what I understand...

Check to see what Cart software your hosting vendor already has available (if any). There are various plugins and/or themes that are based around some of these.

Failing that, you probably do want to look for a paid theme that already has shopping cart support built in. Most of them are under $50 for a one-site use, so while not free, may be a lot easier than trying to roll your own.

But yeah, once you get into e-commerce, you are going to have to pay something unless you are doing it from scratch.

One other option might be to look at wordpress.com, and see if their basic package includes a shopping cart. Not as much flexibility, but for what you are doing, might be easier to deploy.

Well, I've narrowed it down to a couple of plugins that are available for free through wordpress.
it has to be free, because if it isn't free, I'm paying for it, and I'm not paying for it.
I'm doing this whole thing for free. I bought the domain. I'm paying the hosting. I'm not dropping down more cash on a shopping cart for what amounts to 3 products. Registration + Sponsorship + Donation.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Mon Jan 06, 2014 2:09 pm

Doesn't the hosting vendor have some sort of shopping cart solution already? What ties into that?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shoju » Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:01 pm

halabar wrote:Doesn't the hosting vendor have some sort of shopping cart solution already? What ties into that?

That's what I ended up going with. They have a preinstalled Shopping cart in their site kit. I'm not really happy with it, but it's working, I just have to get things to work a little nicer together.
Shoju

Return to General