Remove Advertisements

Relationships

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Relationships

Postby Arnock » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:43 pm

A decent comparison.

It just seems really odd, stylistically. Especially seeing as LotR seemed to be fairly grounded in reality.

If I didn't know that Peter Jackson directed the Hobbit, I'd probably assume that it had a different director.

I'm not crazy about the movies, but they're entertaining enough.
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby Sagara » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:14 pm

Ok. Frozen is actually a really cool movie. Felt like time well spent. "Let it go" is also unashamed and great Oscar bait.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Brekkie » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:14 am

Arnock wrote:A decent comparison.

It just seems really odd, stylistically. Especially seeing as LotR seemed to be fairly grounded in reality.

If I didn't know that Peter Jackson directed the Hobbit, I'd probably assume that it had a different director.

I'm not crazy about the movies, but they're entertaining enough.

Agreed.

People keep asking me why I think it's a big deal because "it's a FANTASY after all!"
I feel like that misses the point.Fantasy worlds are great. There can be dragons and hobbits and magic and that is all fine. But I expect the fantasy world to still operate under the same laws of physics and probability as my world, unless a very clear reason if given why it should do otherwise.

~~~~BEWARE, HERE BE SPOILERS~~~~~~

In the book, the dwarves quietly hide in barrels lashed together to form a raft, and float gently down the placid river without being discovered until arriving in laketown.
In the movie, that plausible escape plan was turned into a ridiculous scene that was so over the top I couldn't tell it was a parody. At one point Legolas literally does a backflip and lands with one foot on each of two dwarves heads and swordfights orcs while rushing down over a waterfall. Seriously. Oh and how exactly are these barrels FLOATING when they are OPEN? Try getting a barrel to do that in real life.

And don't even get me started about the rectum-derived love-triangle romantic subplot between Legolas, the token female elf, and KILI THE DWARF

Don't get me wrong, this movie had some good parts, and not EVERY thing they changed from the books was bad. I was OK with Brand's Black Arrow being a dwarven metal bolt for the windlass crossbow thing. And I've even resolved myself to being OK with them stuffing Radagast the Birdshit into the movie from the bottom of the dregs of the Appendix.

And Smaug was excellent. The reveal was perfect, and the whole scene with him talking to Bilbo was fantastically done.
But then they ruined it with another ridiculous scene again. They worked so hard building up Smaug to be a amazing bad guy that was truly intimidating and that we the audience feared, and then completely destroyed our ability to take him seriously by making him totally inept, chasing the stupid dwarfs around the inside of the mountain like an episode of Scooby Doo. And the completely implausible, overly-complicated, ridiculous "plan" the dwarves concoct and somehow execute because Smaug is apparently the stupidest dragon in history brings the movie to its lowest point of mediocrity.

Oh and to top it all off, for some reason random orcs have Nazgul blades as arrowheads now, because THAT makes sense. But they needed that as a heavy-handed plot device to force-feed the love triangle subplot into us by literally lifting a scene from the Fellowship of the Ring nearly verbatim.

The first Hobbit movie last year had the same problem with the scene inside the Goblin Kingdom. That awful scene where they are running through a gigantic rat maze of collapsing scaffolding before falling hundreds and hundreds of meters and at no point does anybody get separated from the group or even twist an ankle.

I hate everything. I hope they all get eaten by a Balrog. How can Peter Jackson sleep at night?
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Barathorn » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:04 am

Spoiler

The water scene was indeed meh and just silly as was the love triangle but the rest of the film was fine, its a film about dwarves going to war to reclaim their homeland, what is not to like? It isn't the film of the book but neither were any of the LOTR films or the first Hobbit film.

Its entertaining and a great story based loosely upon the book with additions made to make the film flow better.

I liked it.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Amirya » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:10 am

I will say only that I was really really really disappointed that Smaug was all neck and tail, and (to my eye) looked a bit on the scrawny side.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:35 am

Along with the new stuff that Brekkie pointed out, I was disappointed with how rushed and inconsequential the Beorne scenes felt. A ton of potential there that was missed.

Still I liked the movie overall.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Barathorn » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:43 am

Amirya wrote:I will say only that I was really really really disappointed that Smaug was all neck and tail, and (to my eye) looked a bit on the scrawny side.

Dragons in Middle Earth are generally like that, hence the references to the 'Great Wurms of the Withered Heath' throughout the literature. They aren't the more bulky reptiles we are used to seeing in other films/shows.

I hope that explains why he looked the way he did :)
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Amirya » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:29 am

It does, thank you, but it was still disappointing. My first thought was, "I'm supposed to find this runt terrifying?" :mrgreen:
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:38 pm

*hops off the spoiler train*

Ok, so the date went pretty well. We didn't manage to get ice cream (due to our work schedules having us working nights and us not waking up in time to go grab some) but we did watch both Hunger Games and The Hobbit (as well as Despicable Me 2 and Percy Jackson 2.) Planning to still go for ice cream this weekend and watch HG2/Hobbit2. Might have even convinced him to join the D&D campaign I'm in.

There was apparently something that didn't want us to watch Hunger Games though... he couldn't find his copy (apparently had left it at a friends house and that friend was on vacation.) He finally decided to just go pick up the blu-ray version, we hit up wal-mart... they didn't have any in stock. Our last resort was to Red Box it (which was a success.)

Need to finish cleaning up my apt so he can come over (we've been hanging out at the house he's been dog-sitting for.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:48 pm

So some pretty serious stuff here and I really need advice.

I'm thinking of breaking up with my gf of 2 years. I haven't been really happy in our relationship for the past year or so, and our lease is up at the end of the month.

I'm afraid of doing it though, and I don't know how/when to do it. I still care about her and want the best for her, I'm just unhappy with the relationship, and I'm afraid of bad fallout/backlash. We've been living together for about a year, and that's when I started to get annoyed. She's done a pretty good job of "letting me do whatever I want" Because that's what she says, but I know I can't act on the things that I want to do.

For Example I started playing DnD with a group of friends about a year ago, and we meet up every sunday at 1 PM for a 4-5 hour session. When I first started, I talked to her about it and she was perfectly fine with it. After the first session, when I got home she was obviously upset, and wouldn't talk about it. When I finally got it out of her, she admitted she didn't think it would take so long, but she'd "Get over it" I tried inviting her to come hang out with us, which she did once and seemed to have a good time but won't go again. And it's to the point that every weekend she gets quiet/moody every sunday and has been for a long time, yet if I try to talk to her about it she insists that she is perfectly fine with it she just wishes "I had told her how long it would be". But in my opinion, it's only 4-5 hours, once a week. I don't do ANYTHING ELSE that I want to do the rest of the week. It seems extremely unreasonable/selfish to STILL be upset that I don't dedicate every hour of my weekend to her.

That's just one example of many that I have for why I'm not happy. I can't go out with friends, and if I do she calls me every few hours, or gets weird if I don't answer my texts within a few minutes, and it's to the point that I just DON'T go out with friends or get-togethers at all, unless I take her with me. It's always awkward when I take her with me because she just makes it weird, and sits in a corner by herself. Even though she's known all these people since high school!

I'm thinking of waiting until the holidays are over now that I've made my decision to break it off, do you think that's a good idea? Or should I do it now?

Lastly, she does have depression issues and it's been brought up a few times in our fights. I've mentioned that she needs to see a counseler/therapist to help her work through some childhood problems as well as her extreme moodiness. During the fight she'll eventually admit that it's a good idea, but the day after she'll deny it, come up with excuses or be offended that I'd even suggest it. Am I making the right choice in breaking it off?
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby katraya » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:12 am

If you feel like you've really tried to work on things and you're this unhappy then yes, you should end things. Sooner rather than later so you can both start figuring out your living situation.

If she is going to be so upset about you spending a few hours out on a set day each week, but not be willing to own her feelings, there isn't much you can do. I'm sure her side of the story would be different, because it always is, but it sounds like you're fundamentally unhappy and staying with the relationship out of some sort of guilt isn't fair to either of you.

(This is my pre-coffee advice, so take it with a grain of salt)
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:40 am

katraya wrote:If you feel like you've really tried to work on things and you're this unhappy then yes, you should end things. Sooner rather than later so you can both start figuring out your living situation.

If she is going to be so upset about you spending a few hours out on a set day each week, but not be willing to own her feelings, there isn't much you can do. I'm sure her side of the story would be different, because it always is, but it sounds like you're fundamentally unhappy and staying with the relationship out of some sort of guilt isn't fair to either of you.

(This is my pre-coffee advice, so take it with a grain of salt)

I appreciate the advice, and I think that you're right. I will admit I have my own problems, but not on this scale, and I always make it a point to lead by example. The rare few times that she goes out with her friends (maybe 3 times in the last year.) I always tell her to go out, have fun and don't pester her at all. We've talked about this and she's promised change, just hasn't delivered in a long time.
Aubade

Postby Nordix » Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:34 am

an update to my situation:

Life feels like an impossible windmill fight.You have no control over where you are born and with what genes,meanwhile, both of them will have strong impact on your faith.I have a lot of things going on in my irl at the moment,but it feels like it doesn't matter how much I improve,within reasonable amounts of time and with reasonable amount of money ,I will _NEVER_ get a girlfriend that is beautiful and I just can't settle for less.

My goal is not to achieve world peace,end hunger and injustice or generally redeem humanity.I just want a pretty girlfriend:<
But even this is unachievable, because I was unlucky.

I could make a WoW analogy or a car analogy to help with understanding,but I guess none of you require help with understanding this pretty simple statement.

Regarding the girl:
She is obviously good looking.Her bf is also hot,with influential and rich parents.He provides for her,a lot,and she is pretty spoiled.She has a lot of values and a dark side that under normal circumstances is rather difficult to cope with.She is rather antisocial too,and she doesn't need /want friends in the sense of actual friends.She just wants a shoulder she can cry on and that is it.She doesn't cry to her BF because she knows,the issue is her.

Life's cruel as fuck.
Nordix

Postby Aubade » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:06 am

I'm kinda tired of trying to get this message through to you, but the single good quality this woman seems to have is her attractiveness.

SHE IS A BITCH WHO IS NOT WORTH YOUR TIME.

Everything you've told us about this woman leads me to believe she is a complete asshole, self-centered and full of shit. And this is what I've gathered, from hearing about her FROM THE MAN WHO'S IN LOVE WITH HER. With that biased view, I can't imagine how she must really be. Life is SO MUCH MORE than having a "pretty girlfriend" And No offense man, but it almost infuriates me that people think that way.

You really need to take charge of your life and make the changes you want to yourself. Sitting here crying about where you were born, how much money you have, how "pretty" you think you are does absolutely nothing to change your situation. The only thing that changes your situation is yourself.

FORGET About her, forget about playing WoW with her, go make yourself happy.

Edit: I forgot to talk about this statement.
Nordix wrote:My goal is not to achieve world peace,end hunger and injustice or generally redeem humanity.I just want a pretty girlfriend:<
But even this is unachievable, because I was unlucky.

This?

This?

This is wrong on 100 different levels. If you continue to believe this, you will prove yourself right. Self-pity is not attractive to any woman.

Today you have a choice, you can continute to sit and complain about your life, complain about the cards you've been dealt. Or you can go out and start to change those cards. It seems really fucking hard to do, you don't think YOU can do it. Blow me off because I don't know you personally, I don't know the shit in your life as well as you do, well guess what. It doesn't fucking matter. there's not a person on this planet that can't change their situation if they really want to. The First step is to stop with the "Why me?!?!?!" Attitude. Drop it, it doesn't help you, doesn't help me, doesn't help ANYONE. You have emotional issues? Go talk to a professional, I challenge you to start today. Go out, look up #'s, look up resources, make an appointment.

You're too unattractive to find women? Well, first of all that's complete bullshit. But if you're unhappy with your weight/looks, exercise more, use resources to learn how to make your unattractive qualities more attractive.
Aubade

Postby Amirya » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:47 am

Aubade wrote:Life is SO MUCH MORE than having a "pretty girlfriend"

You're too unattractive to find women? Well, first of all that's complete bullshit. But if you're unhappy with your weight/looks, exercise more, use resources to learn how to make your unattractive qualities more attractive.

Pretty much this, straight down the line.

If you want to find a pretty girlfriend, make yourself pretty too. Trust me, the bizarre notion that only the complete hairy gorilla man-slobs get the supermodels is wrong and, well, bizarre. If you expect us to stay pretty for you, then we expect the same from you. Get a haircut - professionally, not from the weed-whacker in the shed. Shave your face - dump that No-Shave November shit, it's just unattractive. If you're unhappy with your weight, do something to lose it (or gain it, as the case may be). If you're sick of seeing the inside of your residence, get the hell out.

Women, as a whole, don't mind nurturing their boyfriends. They do, however, resent playing nagging mommy to a grown man.

And finally, you need to figure out why you're whining and crying about a useless bag of estrogen with perky nipples, and do something about it. Self-esteem of -1000 is a guarantee of no girlfriend, pretty or not. We don't generally like guys with no spine and no balls.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum