Diablo 3 is live!

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Diablo 3 is live!

Postby Aubade » Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:52 am

What are Paragon Levels/Organs/Keys? I've seen the terms around quite a bit, but I have no idea. Also what's MP Levels? Is that paragon?
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Worldie » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:24 am

MP is essentially a difficulty option that is not there in playstation version. Stands for Monster Power. Higher MP = higher mob hp / dmg but better exp and droprates.

Paragon levels are essentially a second "level" when you are levelcapped. At the moment they increase (by very little) your base stats, and also provide 3% magic / goldfind per every paragon level you got.
They are getting radically changed in RoS though from char specific to account specific, and to provide a choice between stats with each paragon level rather than fixed bonuses.

Regarding the organs and stuff, it's a drop/craft/boss system that allows you to create legendary rings with 200+ of a stat and 35% bonus exp, and rest random stats. Again, not sure if present in PS version.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Flex » Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:33 am

Era wrote:There's also the problem with alts and Paragon levels. Kind of feels like I should stick to my main...

That's the issue with the current system, luckily with the Paragon 2.0 conversion they're taking the combined account XP to apply to the Paragon 2.0 system. So 50,000 XP gained on a Paragon 60 character counts the same as 50K gained on a Paragon 20 character.

Here's a video I found on reddit that explains the new difficulty settings in RoS https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcbY1CVz-ys
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Sagara » Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:03 pm

Which reminds me that if any of you are playing on EU, drop me a BNET invite :D

Sagara # lolol2842

You know what to edit out ;-)
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Aubade » Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:54 pm

Just completed my first playthrough! Killing Diablo was quite satisfying, although on medium difficulty on normal mode it was pretty damn easy haha.

ON TO NIGHTMARE!

I'm not sure how it works on PC But I just figured out on Ps3 you can use any combination of any skills. Example: I can use Berserker Rage and Call of the ancients at the same time, just gotta put em on 2 different buttons.

Is this the same on PC? The standard mode for Ps3 is that every button, Square/Circle/X/Triangle/L1/L2/R1/R2 has it's own set of abilities. The check box i found enabled me to assign any skill to any button. I'm mainly excited about how this allows me to use Rend AND whirlwind for ULTIMATE AOE DAMAGE
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Sagara » Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:14 am

Yeah, it's actually an important, but goddammit badly informed system. Although, to be honest, I often end up using a skill from each set in the end anyway...

Sagara

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:43 am

Aubade wrote:Just completed my first playthrough! Killing Diablo was quite satisfying, although on medium difficulty on normal mode it was pretty damn easy haha.

ON TO NIGHTMARE!

Hell is when it got really difficult on Launch for PC, three affix elites/champs and general hurtiness of everything. Did a play through of normal a while back at MP10 and didn't die once.

Nothing can compare to Act 2 Launch Inferno though. It was nearly impossible for anything not a Demon Hunter, escaping the canyon with the wasps and the prowlers was a 10 death experience at best.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Sagara » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:50 am

Oh, it's not quite as bad now, but it's still quite the wakeup call for first timers there...

Sagara

Postby Flex » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:16 pm

Sagara wrote:Oh, it's not quite as bad now, but it's still quite the wakeup call for first timers there...

Man, if they got the loot system right the difficulty of Act 2, I mean difficulty not stupid things like machine gun wasps and the mobs whose overhead attack tracked the players, might've not been an issue since it would've felt like progress if you could actually farm Act 1 to find upgrades.
Flex

Postby Era » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:23 pm

I still think they should've kept (more or less) the original difficulty, and then added monster power on top of that. And no AH. Would perhaps have made crafting more desirable as a way to help gear up alts, too.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Worldie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:07 pm

Well on new chars (so with twinkish gear from AH, high lvl gems in items with socket and legendary exp ring) I can faceroll MP10 normal - nightmare, but on Hell I have to go down to mp4-5 and even there I can often die if I don't pay attention.

I say Hell is quite a step up.

And yep. I finished Inferno pre huge nerf on my barbarian (built full tank with barely 12k dps), then after first nerf (the one that basically stopped elites from regenerating when you die), I also finished it with Wizard.
Act 2+ was painful though, some elites would take fucking ages to die even with 50k DPS on my Wizard and Act4 was a fucking nightmare.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Era » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:24 pm

I think Belial on Inferno was the biggest brick wall for me during my first playthrough. Diablo was hard, but mostly because the fight is so darn long.

EDIT: Sort of like Heroic Spine of Deathwing vs. Heroic Madness back in Cata, tbh! :lol:
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Worldie » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:27 am

Thing with Belial is, he's a complete walkover with melee chars, and hard as fuck with ranged ones. With my Barb I could just stand in shit (bar the explosion rain) and outheal it. With my Wizard I had to constantly gtfo from everything and pray I would dodge the punches.

Also, on the former Inferno difficulty.
Inferno wasnt *that* painful per se. In monster HP / Damage it's comparable to nowadays MP3.
However, people had much shittier gear back then, seeing more than 50k DPS was rare, and most people would run with 10-20k at most.
Killing 3 million HP bees with 10k DPS took fucking ages.
Now everyone runs 100k or more DPS as soon as they ding 60, thus making Inferno a essential joke unless you play with very high MP.

The stats with which I finished Inferno the first time (there's the screenshot several pages before) I was running 8k DPS Barbarian with 1h+shield and full defensive build (1k resist 12k+ armor) to survive.
Today, the same barb runs less than 400 resist and 3k armor, but with over 150k DPS, even if a monster hit takes off 50% of my Hp bar, in a single hit i outheal it.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Era » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:19 am

Worldie wrote:However, people had much shittier gear back then, seeing more than 50k DPS was rare, and most people would run with 10-20k at most.
Killing 3 million HP bees with 10k DPS took fucking ages.
Now everyone runs 100k or more DPS as soon as they ding 60, thus making Inferno a essential joke unless you play with very high MP.

Yeah, the gear definitely plays a huge part in smoothing out the difficulty, which is why I think removing the AH is a good idea. I guess we still have the shared stash and the ability to trade in some form or another, but just reducing the insane accessibility and oversupply of relatively high-end gear might make the difficulties seem significant again.

Era wrote:I still think they should've kept (more or less) the original difficulty, and then added monster power on top of that. And no AH. Would perhaps have made crafting more desirable as a way to help gear up alts, too.

The original Inferno sure had issues of its own, and while I remember feeling frustrated at some points (some bits of Heaven were hell, if you know what I mean) I still had an overall enjoyable experience (speaking only in terms of difficulty/challenge here).
Era

Postby Flex » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:30 am

I am pretty sure you beat inferno after the first round of nerfs Worldie, since you did it after me and I could barely beat the Witch in Act 2 before the nerfs started rolling in.

Basically patch 1.03 in mid June 2012 allowed progression as it was the first to greatly reduce Inferno damage.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games