All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Shoju » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:09 pm

Tribe signs David Murphy. Ok, we'll see if he can bounce back from last season.

Tigers trade Fielder to the Tigers. Gotta say, didn't see that one coming.
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Sun Nov 24, 2013 9:07 am

Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Teranoid » Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:05 am

More like McCann't am i rite?

Sorry.. I'll see myself out.

Shoju wrote:Tigers trade Fielder to the Tigers. Gotta say, didn't see that one coming.

wat

Also wow the Browns are hot garbage. Wish we could play them all year long.
Teranoid

Postby Nakama » Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:16 pm

Boo for the Chiefs getting nailed on a last second TD pass from Rivers to some random guy.

Woo to the Patriots for getting 31 unanswered points, boo for letting the Broncos tie it and then another woo for winning in overtime! :) Everyone seemed to pick the Broncos to win and if you watched the first half and turned it off, you would have thought that too. 24-0 at halftime in favor of the Broncos made me sad. Go go half-time adjustments by the Pats and the Broncos secondary either getting sloppy, tired or, in the case of Cromartie, injured.

--Jed
Nakama

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:39 am

The Pats-Ponies game was bananas...

Also, who knew that the Jags and the Texans would have the same record.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:49 pm

I'm likely in the minority, but more and more I think the college game has passed up the NFL in entertainment value.

The NFL has painted itself into a corner, by skewing the rules so heavily towards passing, the game has become less interesting, less safe, and less team oriented. I realize that college has mostly followed with similar rule changes, but the diversity of talent at that level makes up for it.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Fridmarr wrote:I'm likely in the minority, but more and more I think the college game has passed up the NFL in entertainment value.

The NFL has painted itself into a corner, by skewing the rules so heavily towards passing, the game has become less interesting, less safe, and less team oriented. I realize that college has mostly followed with similar rule changes, but the diversity of talent at that level makes up for it.

Alabama better not stay as a #1 then.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Fridmarr » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:25 pm

Obviously they won't, but the post season is the worst aspect of the college game. It's getting better though, whereas the NFL in my opinion peaked a few years ago.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:12 pm

I hate the FBS, BCS, monstrosity. I hate ESPN. their dick sucking bias towards the SEC is so all encompassing.

In other news:

Josh Gordon is the Optimus Prime to Calvin Johnson's Megatron. It infuriates me that we have such a terrible QB throwing him the ball.
OSU / Mich was a great game. Far more entertaining than I would have thought.
Alabama / Auburn was HILARIOUS
BGSU in the MAC Championship game! I'm pretty excited, even though I have to watch ESPN to watch the game. I find myself in a conundrum. Do I root for BGSU, knowing that beating NIU will only result in talk about how "not good" NIU really was, and BGSU goes to the Little Ceasar's bowl, or do I root for NIU to win, get a BCS game, and BGSU still end up at the little ceasar's bowl? Tough Call. 10-3 is far cooler than 9-4, especially with the schedule, and even though it wont result in a ranking for the Falcons.
Peyton better hope that it's unseasonably warm in NY in Feb. I don't see him getting another ring otherwise. He also better hope that the hoody and the brady bunch get beat by someone else.
WTF happened to the Colts?
Did anyone, not a fan of the teams that played last night watch that game? What a terrible sunday night game.
Bengals D looked good yesterday
ATL finding a way to win at this point in the season is too little too late
49ers are starting to put it together, but I don't think they are much of a contender anymore
the bears..... wow...
Butt Fumbler doesn't get benched, rookie does... Man Rex Ryan is confounding.
So... the eagles are back over 500, that's crazy.
Carolina looks like a legitimate playoff team.
NE still looks... off. Something is wrong there.
At least the steelers lost, and Tomlin is going to get fined OUT THE ASS.
dallas is not fun to watch.
Detroit... Man... They look better each week.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:46 pm

If Det looks good, is because the rest of the NFC north stinks even worse. =(

Also, he never benched Sanchez because that would mean putting Tebow out there, and he hated Tebow.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:22 pm

True that.

I fired up the spreadsheet that I keep QB stats on, and input the numbers for the season so far into it, and have a few interesting things to comment about the season.

1.) 6 fewer Qb's have been trotted out there to take snaps this season. That's interesting, considering it "feels" like there have been more QB volatile situations this year. Cleveland, GB, Buffalo, and Houston all come to mind as using 3+ QB's.
2.) Snaps Per TD league wide is still pretty constant. Last Season 25.02 Snaps per TD. This season 25.08.
3.) Snaps Per INT is also pretty constant, though there is at least a "relevant" movement. 43.73 this season, 43.92 last season. While .2 snaps isn't "huge" I'd say it at least "registers" as opposed to the .06 snaps per TD
4.) Snaps per fumble are down 2.1 snaps this season... That's rather significant I think.
5.) Snaps per Sack is pretty noticable. Last season: 17.58 SpSack. This season 15.94.
6.) Yds per snap moved up .03, to 6.11 yards per snap.
7.) Snaps Negative Play, is obviously up as well, since Snaps Per Sack went up.

in other news, It's no surprise that Peyton Manning is leading the league in Meaningful Snaps (Snaps where he either pass, ran, or was sacked), or that this season is absolutely bonkers historically when compared to other amazing seasons. He has a legitimate shot to destroy a lot of Marino's records, even the ones that were broken in recent memory by brees and brady.

But, Manning is also taking 4.5 more meaningful snaps per game than last season, and 6 more per game than marino did in his best season.

If I were a betting man, I'd say that the "meaningful portions" of the careers of:

Blaine Gabbert
Matt Flynn
Geno Smith
and Brandon Weeden will be VERY Short.

They are the worst offenders of teh SnPNegPlay of QB's that have started. Now, geno may be a rookie, but he is.... Well... the worst of any QB in the past two seasons, and it's not even close.

On the other hand, using any metric I have in my Sheet, Matt McGloin is performing better than any RC/2nd year Qb in the last two seasons, except 1. Nick Foles.

Mark my words, Nick Foles is going to be a "big deal", and if Philly goes back to Vick, Chip Kelly should be fired. The numbers are just.... Astonishing. Foles is a Numbers wizard, and destroys vick in every single category. EVEN if you take out Foles "big" game of 7tds.

If people want numbers, I can post them.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:27 pm

http://deadspin.com/how-not-to-tweet-ab ... 1477308489

And of course Darren Rovell's tweet about it was how it was good for the dude's brand that he wasn't charged with rape.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Thu Dec 05, 2013 3:11 pm

Oh! Another interesting fact.

At the end of last season, I was able to find "Mr. Average" for the league. The QB that had stats so... shockingly similar to the average stat line of a team's production that it was uncanny. Last Season, that person was Carson Palmer, who.... outside of the Rushing Numbers (because those do get skewed by the few who run), was within statistical anomaly tolerances of the league average, almost as if he "was" the benchmark.

So far this season? The closest is Ryan Tannehill, and he isn't as close as Palmer was last year.

Last Season Avg Stats for a starting QB
337.66 / 553.97 - 60.95% - 3919.31 yds - 36.38 sacks - -234.53 yds lost - 23.5 tds - 14.56 ints - 49.25 Rush - 205.28 yds - 2 RTD - 8 Fumbles

Carson Palmer Last Year
345 / 565 - 61.06% - 4018 yds - 26 sacks - -199 yds lost - 22 tds - 14 ints - 18 rush - 36 yds - 1 RTD - 7 Fumbles

Outside of the yards from rushing, he was pretty effing close to "average"

This season Avg Stats for A starting QB
254.53 / 414.88 - 61.35% - 2993 yds - 30.56 sacks - -203.5 yds lost - 18.31 tds - 10.72 ints - 39.25 rush - 173.03 yds - 1.28 RTD - 6.31 Fumbles

Ryan Tannehill This year.
280/451 - 62.08% - 3115 yds - 45 sacks - -316 yds lost - 17 tds - 13 ints - 34 rush - 164 yds - 1 RTD - 8 Fumbles

Now, on the whole, his numbers come in a lot closer, as he has the rushing yards to make up where Palmer didn't. But, his sacks / yards are are too high, his ints are too high, and his c/a is a little too high for what I'd like to call him "mr average"

For some fun, I'm going to average out Weeden, Hoyer, and Campbell to see where they come in compared to average, as well as the more "mathy" stats for Hoyer, who I believe will probably be our starter next year.
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:52 pm

Shoju wrote:On the other hand, using any metric I have in my Sheet, Matt McGloin is performing better than any RC/2nd year Qb in the last two seasons, except 1. Nick Foles.
Not that I've watched the Raiders much, though I have been loosely following McGloin as an ex PSUer, but it surprises me a bit that he has better stats than Wilson. I get that Wilson probably doesn't have boggling yards or attempts numbers because they are pretty balanced offensively and they've dominated a bit so they aren't throwing all game to catch up, but I still would not have expected that.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:04 am

Seattle sports media is reporting that Robinson Cano has signed with the Mariners.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General