Remove Advertisements

what about LFR?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: what about LFR?

Postby Andurin » Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:41 am

Sometimes tho, you get a really nice group of people in LFR. Last night we had a DK tank that was keeping the group together on his own. He knew what to do, guide people where needed, keep the group going and kill the second boss in gates of retribution without a second tank. And we proceeded to kill Dark shamans and Nazgrim without any trouble just by the guiding people in the right direction ^^

On the other hand, I also did have the first part of Throne of Thunder with this amazing Resto shaman. Never had I met anyone that I would want to strangle ingame so hard as this guy. But, thanks to the kick system, he had a 4h kick protection -.-

I`m not sure on wich side I am on in this discussion. Yes, I wouldnt mind having better tools to get rid of annoying people. But on the other hand, often its not really needed.
Andurin
 
Posts: 845
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:45 am

Re: what about LFR?

Postby econ21 » Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:03 am

Arnock wrote:... someone told me to just ignore mechanics.

... I actually was geared enough to move on to the second tier groups, but I just couldn't find the motivation to continue.


You should try tanking LFR - it's much more engaging imo and it really helps if you do know the mechanics.

You also were experiencing "old" content. When a LFR wing just opens, things are much more interesting. SoO LFR is still quite challenging for many raids and hence can take an hour or more to complete just one wing.

Worldie wrote:...but my alts kinda have to if they want any improvement in their ilvl.


I know but I sometimes feel a lot of the problem with LFR is the bad attitude of the people running it. A more constructive, positive and cooperative spirit would go a long way. It's rather like the bizarre mentality in random BGs, where the losing teams often seem to dissolve into cursing each other in chat. It's a game - have fun or at least stop spoiling the fun of others.
econ21
 
Posts: 1376
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: what about LFR?

Postby Arnock » Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:13 pm

I did start tanking a few runs, after finally got a tank set together.

But I could barely even find the motivation to want to gear up to progress to later content, I was having more fun soloing old raids than I was in the new areas themselves.
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3658
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: what about LFR?

Postby Winkle » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:34 am

Arnock wrote: I didn't have the time to commit to a dedicated raid schedule.


Arnock wrote:I really miss TBC/wrath.


Content with a similar or perhaps even harder difficulty is available today. Along with perhaps the easier 10man stuff in the guise of flex.

Do you miss the content or just miss having the time to play how you want?

Tanking in LFR can be quite fun at times, i queued for LFR Garrosh the other day just to see how it was, turns out that if you know the fight as a tank you can basically pull the whole group through with you.
Winkle
 
Posts: 591
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am

Re: what about LFR?

Postby Arnock » Thu Nov 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Winkle wrote:Content with a similar or perhaps even harder difficulty is available today. Along with perhaps the easier 10man stuff in the guise of flex.

Do you miss the content or just miss having the time to play how you want?




A little bit of both.

Plus a general dissatisfaction with the direction blizz has taken the game, and I'm sure that my glasses are very much rose tinted.

I don't really like a lot of the changes made to Paladins, I barely recognized the class now, and most of the reasons that I originally liked playing my paladin are not really valid anymore.

I'm not a huge fan of how homogenized a lot of the classes have become.

Between LFR, LFG, and realms "merging" in low-pop zones, a huge amount of the server communities that I re-visited just felt dead.

Pandaria, and now this new upcoming expac both feel a bit.. uninpsired, lore-wise. In TBC, Wotlk and Cataclysm you had Illidan, Arthas and Deathwing as looming threats, whereas Pandaria just feels like "Oh, here's a new continent, now with pandas and more content!"

I don't know, wow just felt like it was slowly transitioning from an MMO to a single player game with a multiplayer mode.
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3658
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: what about LFR?

Postby Flex » Thu Nov 21, 2013 10:49 pm

Arnock wrote:Pandaria, and now this new upcoming expac both feel a bit.. uninpsired, lore-wise. In TBC, Wotlk and Cataclysm you had Illidan, Arthas and Deathwing as looming threats, whereas Pandaria just feels like "Oh, here's a new continent, now with pandas and more content!"


Highly disagree with this. The lore for the entire expansion and Pandaren in general has been outstanding.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 7500
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: what about LFR?

Postby Brute » Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:56 am

I love that LFR exists because it allows someone like me to see all the content. Pandas and Cata are the only expansions that I actually cleared all of the raids, and I've been playing since release. I've never been "hardcore" enough (i.e., had enough free time) to join a serious guild with good players long term and show up for every raid, and it's only gotten worse as I've gotten older and added more things to my plate.

I don't particularly enjoy the experience beyond killing each boss the first couple of times, though. I played Pandas for a month, got max level, looted the isle, participated in clearing every raid through LFR, and seeing as how all my friends have quit, I'm done till Warlords comes out except maybe for screwing around some on my unlimited trial account. There's a surprising amount of content in the first 20 levels.
Brute
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:14 am

Re: what about LFR?

Postby Io.Draco » Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:40 am

I don't particularly enjoy the experience beyond killing each boss the first couple of times, though.


Who the fuck does? Not talking just about LFR but any boss on any difficulty get's dull after you've killed them a couple of times. For certain bosses it does take longer then others but it happens.
User avatar
Io.Draco
 
Posts: 1631
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

Re: what about LFR?

Postby theckhd » Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:41 pm

Arnock wrote:I don't really like a lot of the changes made to Paladins, I barely recognized the class now, and most of the reasons that I originally liked playing my paladin are not really valid anymore.

Keep in mind that this is a fairly subjective statement. I feel that paladins are a lot more fun to play nowadays than they were in Wrath, TBC, or Vanilla. And the general consensus from the community has been the same. There will always be people that feel differently though; you'll never please everyone with any design.

I also don't really agree with your homogenization point, but that's on game design and encounter design principles (highly mismatched skill sets leads to a lot of class stacking, and general feelings of the game being "broken").
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 7739
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: what about LFR?

Postby SteveL » Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:36 am

I like LFR on the whole. I've got through a couple of oqueue flex runs, but I don't normally have the time to do that.

My faith in LFR was helped a little last night. A Druid queued as healer, and then said "this is so easy, so I'm going to DPS rather than heal". He vastly out-geared the tanks and proceeded to pull aggro most of the time, while bitching and moaning that the tanks were terrible. I voted to kick him, with no luck and then a little later on, the vote kick window appeared and lo and behold, Mr annoying Druid was gone. After his removal the rest of the run was fun and everyone had a good time. Just goes to show that one bad apple can ruin the run for 24 other people, which is the main problem with LFR.

Steve
SteveL
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 8:57 am

Re: what about LFR?

Postby Arnock » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:11 am

theckhd wrote:
Arnock wrote:I don't really like a lot of the changes made to Paladins, I barely recognized the class now, and most of the reasons that I originally liked playing my paladin are not really valid anymore.

Keep in mind that this is a fairly subjective statement. I feel that paladins are a lot more fun to play nowadays than they were in Wrath, TBC, or Vanilla. And the general consensus from the community has been the same. There will always be people that feel differently though; you'll never please everyone with any design.

I also don't really agree with your homogenization point, but that's on game design and encounter design principles (highly mismatched skill sets leads to a lot of class stacking, and general feelings of the game being "broken").



Oh, I'm well aware that it's a subjective statement, and I'm aware that the game is much better, balance-wise, now than ever.

But my glasses are very much rose-tinted, and I feel that classes in earlier expansions had a much more unique flavor to them.

The TBC paladin may not have been as effective of a main tank as a warrior, but we could still effectively MT just about everything that didn't require a warrior-only mechanic, and yet we were the only melee class that wielded spell power, were the best AOE tanks, and the old seal/judgement system was an actual unique mechanic.
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3658
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: what about LFR?

Postby Extermi » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:58 am

Speaking about unique tanking mechanics, back in the time when raiding Zul Gurub, I had to chain mana pots to keep my rotation going and keep aggro. Especially important since there was no taunt (and no ranged pull, for that matter). Unique, yes. Do I want it back ? NO !
Extermi
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:23 pm

Re: what about LFR?

Postby Brute » Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:06 am

Io.Draco wrote:
I don't particularly enjoy the experience beyond killing each boss the first couple of times, though.


Who the fuck does? Not talking just about LFR but any boss on any difficulty get's dull after you've killed them a couple of times. For certain bosses it does take longer then others but it happens.

Well I guess my point was that when I was raiding with a guild, it was enjoyable just to see familiar faces, hear familiar voices, see inside jokes develop, perform antics like BoP'ing the tank, etc, so that even if we were fighting the same boss multiple times, there was a social aspect that made it still enjoyable.

LFR obviously cannot provide that. Except BoP'ing the tank... but then you'd probably get kicked.
Brute
 
Posts: 731
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 9:14 am

Re: what about LFR?

Postby Arnock » Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:35 pm

Extermi wrote:Speaking about unique tanking mechanics, back in the time when raiding Zul Gurub, I had to chain mana pots to keep my rotation going and keep aggro. Especially important since there was no taunt (and no ranged pull, for that matter). Unique, yes. Do I want it back ? NO !



Well, to be fair, I started playing after TBC's release =P

And I agree that it wasn't perfect, even then. Especially when it came to encounter mechanics that prevented certain classes from tanking, like mana burns with paladins, or illidan's ability that needed to be blocked.

Brute wrote:Well I guess my point was that when I was raiding with a guild, it was enjoyable just to see familiar faces, hear familiar voices, see inside jokes develop, perform antics like BoP'ing the tank, etc, so that even if we were fighting the same boss multiple times, there was a social aspect that made it still enjoyable.

LFR obviously cannot provide that. Except BoP'ing the tank... but then you'd probably get kicked.


That's part of the older expansions that I miss.

Sure, LFG/LFR are really convenient, but some of the best friendships I made in-game were from finding good players while doing pugs.

Now it's just a silent, afk farm-fest with as little human interaction as possible.
Image
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
User avatar
Arnock
 
Posts: 3658
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 6:36 pm
Location: Everywhere and nowhere

Re: what about LFR?

Postby Fetzie » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:07 am

That's something I like about flex runs that want teamspeak, more often than not it is a half/guild group with banter in the voice chat. Gets quite fun at times if zou get a good group.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 1 guest