Remove Advertisements

Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Politics (formerly Election 2012)

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:49 am

Costa Rica has better and cheaper health care. Heck, Cuba is barely below the US.

My mom got her cholecystectomy done in Mexico, for a wee bit more than 3 grand. That included surgery room, surgeon, anesthesiologist, medicines and a 4-day hospital stay.

I spent 6 hrs bucknaked, on a gurney, under an AC vent for passing a kidney stone and my total bill was more than 8 grand...

Fuck the US' healthcare system...
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Nooska » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:07 am

and the scandinavian model; You need to go to the hospital? okay, you go to the hospital. You need med sin the hospital, you get emds.
Only when you get out of t he hospital do you need to pay anything - your meds (and there is a subsidy plan for that, so the more you pay obver a year, the more of the cost the state picks up).

Only problem is that dental work isn't covered - so if you have a problem in your jaw, you gotta pay a good amount yourself. (Dental work is subsidised, but not enough to prevent a clear socio-economic problem)
Main Characters:
Nooska, Blood Elf BM/SV Hunter on Argent Dawn (EU)
Morosin, Bloody freezing orc death knight on Argent Dawn (EU)
Niisca, Shady forsaken "priest" on Argent Dawn (EU)

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Shoju » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:35 am

Speaking of Fuck the US Health Care System.

My son is 16. He needs a job. He needs a Work Permit.

Part of the Work Permit, is a physical. Most Student Athletes are able to use both. Well, it's time for him to get a new physical for sports. So I called the Dr. They can't get him in for 2 weeks. Yay!

So I call an Urgent Care / Walk in Clinic that does "deals" on Sports Physicals. 20 bucks for the sports physical, and good. BUT. Because this will also be a "Work" Physical, we have to pay $55.

Not for a paperwork fee. But because a Work Permit Physical, is $55.

Wut.
RUSRS?
$35 more?

So we go, and do it, because he needs this done ASAP so he can get into orientation. My son comes out of the room, and is FUMING. He said it was a waste of money. I said why?

Because the $35 price difference in physicals, meant that they walked in the room, checked his vitals, temp, breathing, and a simple Hand strength exercise. No other examination took place. No standard Sports Physical was given. They signed all the papers, and out the door he went.

Since my son paid for the physical (I'm trying to make him learn the value of money, and budgeting, etc...) he was absolutely furious with the quality of care rendered for an extra $35.

Fuck the US Health Care System, and the greedy bastards who perpetuate it INDEED.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:58 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Paxen » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:34 pm

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/chris-burbank-salt-lake-city_n_4170154.html
Woah! A police chief that still uses common sense!?

The fact that this guy is a radical outsider makes me want to cry...
Paxen

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:01 pm

Paxen wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/30/chris-burbank-salt-lake-city_n_4170154.html

The fact that this guy is a radical outsider makes me want to cry...

Yeah... have you read the police.com forums? That place is scary...
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:31 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby aureon » Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:20 pm

Wait, how did this guy become Chief?
Pretty damn impressive.

"Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent", indeed.
aureon

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:30 pm

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-paci ... 22258.html

Can we please do this here in the US?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:54 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/11/09/texas-anti-lgbt-crusader-won-local-election-by-pretending-to-be-black/
So much fail in Houston.

"Every time a politician talks, he’s out there deceiving voters."

So... that makes it okay?

Of course, on the other hand, this does somewhat prove that racism is alive and well... since apparently people didn't have an issue with his stances, just the color of his skin (but then again, who's to say for sure he'd have lost if he hadn't resorted to deceitful tactics.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:25 am

Skye1013 wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/11/09/texas-anti-lgbt-crusader-won-local-election-by-pretending-to-be-black/
So much fail in Houston.

"Every time a politician talks, he’s out there deceiving voters."

So... that makes it okay?

Of course, on the other hand, this does somewhat prove that racism is alive and well... since apparently people didn't have an issue with his stances, just the color of his skin (but then again, who's to say for sure he'd have lost if he hadn't resorted to deceitful tactics.)

His campaign didn't make mention of his stances at all. His campaign was solely based on the use of "endorsed by that guy", who was his brother, but has the same name as a prominent black politician, and flyers that alluded to him being a black man.

He didn't put out anything about his stances.
Shoju

Postby cdan » Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:44 am

That's the plot of an Eddie Murphy film. Distinguished Gentleman? Except Murphy had the same name as the (white) ex-incumbent who had died.
cdan

Postby Nooska » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:04 pm

Remind me to give you a report of the municipal elections yesterday - too tired right now.
Main Characters:

Keeper Emeritus of the BM hunters guide on Elitist Jerks and the wowhead version untill patch 5.3.
Nooska

Postby Sagara » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:19 pm

Good news at least?
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Nooska » Thu Nov 21, 2013 4:03 am

Hardly.

Blood bath begins to describe how hurt we were lovally by the national tendencies - we always knew it was a factor, but nobody I've talked to expected that much of a hit.

Nationally we went back by half (in percent), a bit less in members of municipal councils (iirc the mail I got this morning right).
There are 98 municipalities, we were on the list in 96 of them, and suffered a setback in 94. The bright spot is our vice chair(wo)man, who is mayor of a relatively right-of-center municipality, they went up by 12.5 percentage points, to have over a third of the votes.

My own municipality saw a devastation - we lost 15 percentage points, and went from 4 mandates to 1 (needless to say, I did not get it, being number 4 on the list), worse (democratically) is that we lost 2 party representations (and gained one), so now only 5 parties are represented. Our side did win (12 seats to 7), but with the largets party having 10 of those seats, not a whole lot of influence exists - we can only hope we don't return to the pre 2009 conditionsof closedness and decisions being made by decree of the mayer with teh group simply voting aye.
The mayor has lived up too the agreement we had preelection of talking seats and chairmanships of comittees etc with the 2 other parties (people) in the majority block - even though he wouldn't need to by mandate - but this guy does have a reputation (amongst politicians) for wanting to stick to his word.

Also, we suffered a mjor setback to equality and representation in general. Of the 19 seats, only 2 women were elected despite almost all parties having several women on their lists, and highly placed.
Personally I came in 5th from my 4th place starting position, being narrowly beaten by number 3 (9 personal votes behind) - which is in itself a minot success - number 3 was a sitting member and second vice mayor and known, so only getting ebaten by 9 votes there is a success. Number 5 jumper up to end in the number 3 position - but she is apretty young 'girl' with a large network, so I knew that was realistic and didn't expect to beat her in personal votes. If we had only just gotten the 4th seat, she would have taken it, if we had been on 4.5 seats, I would have gotten it (we generally get a lot of party votes, which are given in order of position on the list).

My major political success of the election night was being asked to 'chair' (nothing as official as that sounds like) a "young candidates network" by the 2 young candidates that actually got elected (2 women, 2 people that could be termed young - thats pretty poor represetation) with 2 immediate goals in mind. Gathering the young candidates cross politically so we can do stuff that can increase the participation of the lower tier, but young, candidates and ghopefully increase the youthful representation, and starting a crosspolitical cooperation/network so when we are the ones in power, we already know and trust (political caveat here) eachother, so we don't have to carry the "long knives" on election night, and can get more stuff done for the people of the municipality rather than simply trying to fight a rhetorical battle.
Of all the young candidates this time, only one wasn't present, and the rest agreed to this network/group (which probably would not have happened if I hadn't taken the initiative). I am happy with my personal political results.

On a side note, GF has greenlighted that I seek a district for parlimentary candidacy, we have a round coming up this spring where we select new parliamentary candidates. I don't hold much hope of getting elected (something drastic has to happen, as we currently look to gain 1 seat from this greater district, and currently we have the treasury minister, who is also a former chairman of the party in this greater district) but it will provide valuable political experience and possibly political capital and name recognition for the next municipal elections.
Main Characters:

Nooska

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum