Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby bldavis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:56 am

Io.Draco wrote:
as far as trying to bring in SC2 for a wow discussion...REALLY? talk about grasping at straws
the fact that blizzard put out both games just shows they typically put out good games.
a RTS =/= a MMO


What? I was talking about the Warcraft strategy series which built the universe and was successful, where did Starcraft get mentioned exactly?

Warcraft is still played to this day by quite a few people, and it spawned Dota.

I'll address your other points later, considering the massive post you made. Just wanted to mention this however.

yeah i will concede this one, i misread and its early in the morning for me
in the beginning i am sure a lot of the draw for wow was the warcraft games, but how many players are there for them still, and how many wow players currently playing can say they started playing because of warcraft?

i am willing to bet that most started playing because they have friends that play(ed)
i know that is why i started playing..to this day i havent played warcraft beyond just the demo
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 6111
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Io.Draco » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:22 am

I think it still plays a role in WoW's continued dominance, not that people come from those games ( although they do still sell and they do work very well even on modern system ) but rather the idea of having a game franchise that has existed for close to two decades is a LOT more appealing then getting into a brand new mmo with a new universe.
Last edited by Io.Draco on Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Io.Draco
 
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby bldavis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:24 am

i cant believe i am saying this but you might be on to something with that one...
but then again, how well did SWToR do? and star wars has been around for a hell of a lot longer :)
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 6111
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Incalcando » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:05 am

Io.Draco wrote:So be it then.


A) Been said, bears repeating: correlation does not equate causation. WoW was actually the most casual-friendly game back in those days. Remember the horror stories about Absolute Virtue? Yeah.


WoW also managed to have a model that rewarded those who took the time to master it. Blizzard has constantly trumpeted the easy to learn hard to master and that's another reason why it succeeded.

Then there's the argument that WoW also had the success of the strategy series to back it up. A very popular strategy series considered to be one of the finest to this day.


I promised myself my last post would be the last time I'd read/post here. But anyway to your ingenious post. WoW does not reward the people who took time to master it? What else other than THE BEST FUCKING GEAR IN THE GAME do you want? Did TBC raiding award the players with anything else but the best available gear? No. Does an LFR/flex or normal raider even compare in character power to a fully heroic geared one?
Incalcando
 
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:53 am

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Io.Draco » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:07 am

Well of course it's not everything, the game in itself also needs good word of mouth which SWTOR did not get.

To be fair I think SWTOR had potential but EA's expectations were unrealistic. They thought they could topple WoW within a COUPLE OF MONTHS? I mean even for WoW it took two years to reach 8 million subscribers.

Did TBC raiding award the players with anything else but the best available gear? No.


Actually it did, because you would never be able to see Illidan in BT, Kael in TK, Vashj in SSC unless you were a raider, and you would not be able to complete the story of the game.

Also you would never be able to enter these amazing raid zones like SSC/TK/BT if you were not a raider. There were attunment quests required to enter them after all ( What exactly do you think the Hand of A'Dal title or Champion of the Naaru was rewarded for exactly? They were given to players who had completed the attunments before Blizzard removed them )

As for the BEST GEAR, not that I ever cared that much about gear as a reward, but the gear was not just better but also unique looking with different models instead of just different colors.
User avatar
Io.Draco
 
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Amirya » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:28 am

Ok, now I understand your message.

Edit: Ah, nevermind. I shouldn't argue with idiots, it makes me look like one too.
Image

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2959
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Teranoid » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:45 am

Yup. Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring your down to their level and beat you with experience.
User avatar
Teranoid
 
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Flex » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:32 am

bldavis wrote:where do they say they have the largest WOW DEDICATED dev team ever?


if I remember correctly it has been stated that the WoW team now is twice as large as when MoP shipped, or might've been during MoP's development.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:44 am

Yeah. Buffet vs 7 Course Dinner.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Io.Draco wrote:Actually it did, because you would never be able to see Illidan in BT, Kael in TK, Vashj in SSC unless you were a raider, and you would not be able to complete the story of the game.

Also you would never be able to enter these amazing raid zones like SSC/TK/BT if you were not a raider. There were attunment quests required to enter them after all ( What exactly do you think the Hand of A'Dal title or Champion of the Naaru was rewarded for exactly? They were given to players who had completed the attunments before Blizzard removed them )

TK, SSC, MH and BT had stories?!?

As a person who raided for the challenge and chance to hang out with my geographically separated friends... the story never really meant much to me. I get more enjoyment at recognizing an Easter Egg than I do from following the story in an xpac. So clearly, Blizz should remove all story-lines and only have raid encounters and humorous non-story driven quests.

Also... methinks you're forgetting that the attunements for MH/BT were removed (so dirty casuals could see the content.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
User avatar
Skye1013
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3585
Joined: Tue May 18, 2010 5:47 am
Location: JBPH-Hickam, Hawaii

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Io.Draco » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:44 pm

Sure Blizzard did remove them, but close to a year after 2.1 was added.

But yes there was story, weaved into the attunment quests, especially for BT with the story involving Akama/Maiev/Illidan.
User avatar
Io.Draco
 
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby cdan » Tue Nov 19, 2013 2:10 pm

You have to admit that there is something kind of lacking in the game when access to all areas is just so easy these days.

I've killed Garrosh about 10 times now across various chars and I'm still waiting for the sense of achievement to kick in.

Finally getting the key to Scholo was more of an event. ;)
cdan
 
Posts: 351
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:58 am

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Amirya » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:39 pm

Sure, there's that, but it's not nearly the same as this demand of an exclusive heroic only raid that only Real Raiders will care about, regardless of what may be happening outside of the game, and stating that the lack of an exclusive heroic only raid is why WoW sucks these days and is Blizzard's downfall.
Image

Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 2959
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:59 am

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby halabar » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:22 pm

cdan wrote:You have to admit that there is something kind of lacking in the game when access to all areas is just so easy these days.

I've killed Garrosh about 10 times now across various chars and I'm still waiting for the sense of achievement to kick in.

Finally getting the key to Scholo was more of an event. ;)


In all fairness, that's rose colored glasses. When you got that Scholo key, the game was relatively new and fresh. After all these years, if they did that today, you would just complain about the grind to get it probably. Look at the complaints about the legendary cloak quest. That's probably longer that any of those attunement quests, and does it really feel special to anyone now?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 6557
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Fetzie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:06 pm

halabar wrote:
cdan wrote:You have to admit that there is something kind of lacking in the game when access to all areas is just so easy these days.

I've killed Garrosh about 10 times now across various chars and I'm still waiting for the sense of achievement to kick in.

Finally getting the key to Scholo was more of an event. ;)


In all fairness, that's rose colored glasses. When you got that Scholo key, the game was relatively new and fresh. After all these years, if they did that today, you would just complain about the grind to get it probably. Look at the complaints about the legendary cloak quest. That's probably longer that any of those attunement quests, and does it really feel special to anyone now?


The only thing that was special about me getting the cloak, was that I was the first person in the guild to have the legendary version (followed 2 minutes later by somebody else - we made it into a race). The actual quest chain was nowhere near as fulfilling as when I did the Dreadsteed questline on my Warlock.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby bldavis » Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:44 pm

honestly the joy that the chain was over was about the only enjoyment i got from that chain...
Image

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
User avatar
bldavis
 
Posts: 6111
Joined: Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:04 pm
Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Darielle » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:37 pm

In all fairness, that's rose colored glasses. When you got that Scholo key, the game was relatively new and fresh. After all these years, if they did that today, you would just complain about the grind to get it probably. Look at the complaints about the legendary cloak quest. That's probably longer that any of those attunement quests, and does it really feel special to anyone now?


Not sure the Legendary quest is really comparable to some of the epic quest chains of old though. The Wrathion stuff has been pretty mired by:
- "PvP in my PvE"!!
- Secrets RNG
- Runestones RNG
- Mandatory 6-week (now 3) pit stop
- Very little compelling individual stuff; even the Shadowmourne chain at least had some interesting modifications to fights. Certainly, nothing comparable to something like Rhok'Delar.

By contrast, some of the BC attunement chains spanned entire zone-wide quest arcs in Shadowmoon or Netherstorm and things that were actually interesting to do for the time (rescuing Millhouse, Executioner etc.). If you gave people a choice between Legendary chain and Tier 0.5 chain to obtain the same cloak, they'd probably take the latter.
Darielle
 
Posts: 853
Joined: Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:41 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Fetzie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Yeah, let's just consider the Black Temple attunement.

Firstly, you didn't know you were doing it until you were doing it.
It didn't have any quests designed as a time-sink (wait 6 weeks, collect 20 of these things you're only going to get 3 of per week if you are lucky).
It had you do interesting things in your raid, like dressing up as Ashtongue before killing Al'ar.

Or the Challenges of the Naaru, like the Executioner run in shattered halls.

We need that kind of stuff. Not arbitrary "this is only going to take a long time because we decided we want you to spend 5 weeks collecting these quest items" time-sinks. And please, no more "go grind 4000 mobs so you can be exalted on your alt because you really don't want to quest to exalted with a faction that gives you no tangible benefit because we went and made all previous content totally obsolete".
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Worldie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:14 pm

I do agree with the whole above, but you guys are missing the point of those "collect X items with shit droprate" parts.

They are there to keep people running LFR. If they weren't there, the population of LFR would MASSIVELY drop, and I mean, MASSIVELY, because most chars would run them once (if even) and never set foot in them again, essentially making it impossible to have reliable queue timers for non-current content LFR.

It sounds well, horrible to most LFR haters, but I'm quite sure that's the main reason they are there.
(obviously toghether with it just being a artificial cockblock for heroic guilds to not complete them in the first week)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 8780
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Flex » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:41 pm

Fetzie wrote:We need that kind of stuff. Not arbitrary "this is only going to take a long time because we decided we want you to spend 5 weeks collecting these quest items" time-sinks. And please, no more "go grind 4000 mobs so you can be exalted on your alt because you really don't want to quest to exalted with a faction that gives you no tangible benefit because we went and made all previous content totally obsolete".


and then 3 people leave your guide and you're fucked for progression until you can poach from another guild screwing them over or you can attune more people. That's the bad side to attunement chains.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Fetzie » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:45 pm

I'm not saying "bring back attunements". I'm saying "make a quest chain that isn't simply a series of rather boring time sinks".
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2031
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Flex » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:57 pm

Fetzie wrote:I'm not saying "bring back attunements". I'm saying "make a quest chain that isn't simply a series of rather boring time sinks".


Legendaries from raids should really only involve raid stuff and minimal if anything outside of that.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
User avatar
Flex
 
Posts: 4677
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:29 am

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Worldie » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:23 am

I disagree. It's nice to be involved into outer world stuff, though, boring rep grinds aren't really my idea of fun.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
User avatar
Worldie
Global Mod
 
Posts: 8780
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:49 pm
Location: Italy

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:08 am

No love for the Isle of Thunder scenario chain, and the Wrathion solo quests tied into that?
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4908
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Mythic is NOT a HARDER difficulty than current Heroic!!!

Postby Io.Draco » Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:44 am

and then 3 people leave your guide and you're fucked for progression until you can poach from another guild screwing them over or you can attune more people. That's the bad side to attunement chains.


Sure there's that side to attunment quests, though let's face it poaching still happens only for different reasons.

Considering the mechanics we have in place right now I'd like Blizzard to add attunment quests back in BUT if say 10-15 people get it done in your guild then you get a guild perk that allows anyone in your guild to enter the raid instance, no reputation requirement but if you leave the guild you lose the ability unless you have completed the chain yourself.

Also for individual player characters, tie to an account achievement so you only have to do it once.

Legendaries from raids should really only involve raid stuff and minimal if anything outside of that.


I disagree, I think as Worldie said it's cool to have stuff outside raids to do.
User avatar
Io.Draco
 
Posts: 1139
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:33 am

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest