Path of Exile - ARPG

Non-WoW game discussions

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Aubade

Re: Path of Exile - ARPG

Postby Shoju » Thu May 23, 2013 8:37 am

Finished A3 Merc. I don't like the changes. Especially since it doesn't address end game content. it makes end game content harder to get (only the base level map drops outside of maps now).

But, I'm done with it, and I'm running maps, and farming the catacombs for more maps.

I also started a new witch. Going Power Siphon, should be funy shenanigans for a little bit anywa.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:55 am

2 new leagues dropped with this new patch. I'm taking a break from standard right now, and playing in the anarchy league. I'm playing a Frenzy Ranger, and trying (and failing) at Evasion + Acrobatics. I'm currently planning an exit strategy from this really bad idea, while keeping the character.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:11 am

The Game has officially launched, and they've made some radical changes. I'm enjoying the game, but I haven't tried the new boss fight "at level", I'll have more of an opinion once I try that at level. I fear there could be some computer performance issues with the fight, they might need to fix. It's.... Insane.
Shoju

Postby Gab » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:16 pm

Shoju wrote:The Game has officially launched, and they've made some radical changes. I'm enjoying the game, but I haven't tried the new boss fight "at level", I'll have more of an opinion once I try that at level. I fear there could be some computer performance issues with the fight, they might need to fix. It's.... Insane.

Definitely good stuff.

The graphics, while there's always been a very high level of attention to detail for an indy game, are much improved.

New leagues and the new Passive tree along with balance changes to many of the skill gems make for great timing for newcomers to come in get in at as much of a "ground floor" as possible considering the game has technically been out for about 2 years (open and closed beta lasted about a year each).

Going to be all kinds of new possibilities. Good time to check it out if you haven't already.

I've been playing ARPGs since the original Diablo and overall my experiences in POE have been 2nd only to Diablo II. Perhaps even better then Diablo II since I've matured a bit since the DII days.

The developers are 2nd to none with community interaction and updates. Highly reccomend this game.
Gab

Postby Shoju » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:02 pm

I agree with Gab.

The game is really good, and really unforgiving at times. If you want a challenge, you can have a challenge. If you want "easy", you can play non hardcore. if you want "really hard", you can play the new nemesis league. Not as hard as Onslaught was, but still challenging.

And the races. Oh god, the races are great. I don't play a lot of them, but the new format, endless ledge (it's based on a tileset for a zone called ledge, that you run over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and over, with increasingly hard monster variety, and mods) is a blast.
Shoju

Postby bldavis » Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:22 pm

/glare

i have 4 games im in closed beta for, yet i am being drawn back to PoE...DAMM YOU SHOJU!
(doesnt help 2 are MOBAs and i am constantly reminded why i quit LoL the more i play them)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Shoju » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:31 am

OH man, the official forum rage over changes to a support gem have been HILARIOUS.

Short Story: At release, they introduced new Trigger Support Gems, that do things, when something else happens. They introduced one call Cast When Damage Taken. Meaning, whatever you had linked to it would instantly cast, with no animation (causing you to not do other things), no mana cost (hey, I heard free stuff was good) when a threshold of damage was taken. It starts low, and then the threshold increases, per level of the gem.

Now, you could link up to 5 skills to this, to happen, simultaneously, instantly, without doing anything, when you took damage. And you could run multiples.

Well, in true playerbase fashion, the community found ways to break this thing WIDE THE F OPEN in ways that others hadn't even thought of. There are characters, who run around, doing nothing but casting curses, and letting the damage that they take from the mobs hitting them, be their entire offensive strategy.

Yeah.. that's not good.

So, they are changing the gem, and the community is in a frothing rage, that makes my very vocal angst about Holy Power look like a "Canadian disagreement".

The first change, was actually... relatively neutral from a balance / buff / nerf perspective. They introduced a 250ms cooldown to the gem. Previously, there was no ICD on the gem, so if you took X damage every .000001 MS, it would cast, every .000001 MS. You see where the problem lies.

Now the buff, lies in that it doesn't create an infinite loop, in which a mob hits you, you take damage, gem goes off, you deal damage with what you have linked to it, mob has a "reflect aura" causing you to take damage again, gem goes off, and before you know it, you're eating ground.

In a game with a hardcore difficulty, and XP penalties on death, I think we see the problem here.

So now, this wont happen.

But these crazy people are INSISTING that now that you can only cast 5 spells every time you take damage (max 4 times per second), that it's ruined. It ruined builds. It wasted mountains of currency. They are dreadfully boned now.

My opinion? You abused something in a way that wasn't supposed to be abused. You got what you deserved, if this change screws your entire character. And I don't feel bad for you.

I don't have the gem yet. I'm glad that I don't. I'm hoping that it's completely rebalanced before it's offered to me in a quest reward... Sadly, that means they have until saturday to do that.... I don't think that's going to happen.
Shoju

Postby bldavis » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:22 pm

OMG YOU TOOK AWAY MY SPECIAL UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE WAY OF COMPLETELY BYPASSING HAVING TO PLAY YOUR GAME! YOU BASTARDS!

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Shoju » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:31 pm

bldavis wrote:OMG YOU TOOK AWAY MY SPECIAL UNIQUE SNOWFLAKE WAY OF COMPLETELY BYPASSING HAVING TO PLAY YOUR GAME! YOU BASTARDS!

I guess I don't see what is fun about speccing for an additional curse, running the boots that allow another curse, and then running around, and casting 3 of Punishment, Temp Chains, Ele Weakness, Warlord's Mark, and watching everything explode around you.

But then, I'm having waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to much fun using spectral throw with giant two handed maces of doom to be bothered with trying to build some silly curse bot.
Shoju

Postby bldavis » Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:41 pm

i dont get that play style either...that actually sounds insanely boring to me

bldavis

Postby Worldie » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:00 pm

Sounds like when people afk farmed in diablo with reflect damage + hp regen gear on infinite minion spawns.

Remember, if there's a flaw in a game, people WILL abuse it and complain when it gets nerfed :P that's not just about PoE but about pretty much any game existant, including also WoW
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Shoju » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:46 pm

Worldie wrote:Sounds like when people afk farmed in diablo with reflect damage + hp regen gear on infinite minion spawns.

Remember, if there's a flaw in a game, people WILL abuse it and complain when it gets nerfed :P that's not just about PoE but about pretty much any game existant, including also WoW

Yeah, I'm actually looking at building something that "Sort of" does that.

it's a skill that burns you for 50% of your help per second, and enemies take 90% of your max health in damage per second.

So you stack all kinds of increased fire damage, increased spell damage, and HP regen, and then run around trying to keep them in your AoE, while not getting hit. It's a lot of fun, and I'm sure I'll die a lot, but god the videos look hilarious.
Shoju

Postby Shoju » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:28 pm

I have to say, the new Spectral Throw Skill is a lot of fun. Some people whine about it being OP, but it has plenty of drawbacks / limitations, and is a pretty interesting "Boomerang".

I'm in the mid 60's now, getting ready to start mapping (if I ever find any maps), and I have to say, this skill fits my playstyle. I'm able to stay mobile, since face-tanking just doesn't work in this game, and still have a lot of fun using big dumb two handed weapons of doom.
Shoju

Previous

Return to Other Games