Anyone play MTG?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Postby Barathorn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:08 am

Aergis wrote:Right, but she came out in M14 and has been stable since release around $20. Now it's doubled due to some combo that came out with Theros, but I don't see what it is.

It is 50% because of the modern jund deck and 50% because people suddenly realised how powerful Domri/Chandra/Xenegos are together as well as the soon to be winning stuff uwr control package of Chandra/Jace/Elspeth/Ral Zarek.

Planeswalkers are going to be a real thing again in standard. Hence Heroes Downfall AND Dreadbore existing in the same format. R+D are not stupid, they know.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby PsiVen » Sat Nov 02, 2013 2:16 am

I don't get to play enough events, but I was feeling pretty prescient when I built blue devotion for my wife (completing it right before the Pro Tour shot prices up) and threw together black devotion the day before it exploded everywhere too. :lol:

If only this game wasn't such a money pit... I feel guilty only getting to do about 2 FNMs per month.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Barathorn » Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:47 am

I feel your pain Psiven, I win a lot of boosters and its hard for me to even stay anywhere near break even point.

Its a great game but the costs are prohibitive for a lot of people.

On the plus side I have had a really good year, probably my best year other than my Pro Tour qualification year.

Still not as good as I want to be though. This could be age. Once you get past 35 things definately slow down upstairs.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:53 am

For the record... I'm not a competitive magic player (as in, I don't go to qualifiers or anything... just occasionally a pre-release and some drafting with friends.)

The M2015 set is making me happy.

New slivers... quite a few "flavorful" cards... more things to add to my crappy mill deck. I'm excited!
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Zonzede » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Dont care how bad it is, Don't care if I lose every game.
Until M16 I'm going to be playing Skittering Boom Engine (Skittering Doom Engine + Shrapnel blast)
Zonzede

Postby Barathorn » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:46 am

Zonzede wrote:Dont care how bad it is, Don't care if I lose every game.
Until M16 I'm going to be playing Skittering Boom Engine (Skittering Doom Engine + Shrapnel blast)

This is a thing. If you add in Trading Post until rotation you can recur your BOOM engine. Makes me happy.

Barathorn

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:55 am

I'm assuming you guys are actually referring to the Scuttling Doom Engine?

Anywho... I've started dabbling in MTGO again*. Played a couple M15 drafts and pulled a Chandra during my first one (though the deck lost horribly because I didn't get much more to play a decent red deck.)

In live cards, I've managed to pull a Garruk... which I'm undecided whether to keep or trade off (since I don't play a lot of G/B.)

*I tend to redownload it and buy a bunch of boosters every few years, so my collection is sparse and varied.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:54 pm

I flirt with MTGO every so often. I am likely to be drafting a lot of the new set so if you want to add me I am BFF_Madfish [I think].

Barathorn

Postby Siekai » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:17 am

I am a judge (level 1 only) but I actually rarely play. Only pre-releases (sealed deck) and the occasional draft. I don't really like constructed which is probably why I'm partial to the arena in Hearthstone.
When I used to play casual multiplayer games with my play group they used to gang up on me and knock me out first so I kind of don't like doing that anymore.
Siekai

Postby Zonzede » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:28 pm

Skittering, Scuttling, Scooting, Shuffling, Slithering, Sliding, Scribbling.

Whatever the word, it still goes BOOM.
Zonzede

Postby Barathorn » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:35 am

Just a brief update.

Last weekend I won a 16 player invitational event with a £250 [$400] prize so yay. This weekend I horribly punted a 2 games in a match that would have locked me for a top 8 spot at a 70 player PPTQ. /muppet

So the MTG year started well with a few tournament wins and ended well albeit with a slight mishap yesterday but I realised the mistakes immediately so better to be in the 4-1 position and make the mistake than not be in that position or not realise the mistake had been made.

Considering I took 5 months off in the middle of the year I think hitting a lot of top eight's was a good achievement. Going to try to qualify for a regional PPTQ and get back on the Pro Tour next year.

How has everyone else been doing?

Barathorn

Postby Andurin » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:31 am

Well done! Good to hear people are getting good results ^^ My own results are not as good sadly.

But then again, my wife and I are playing for about 5 months now, and we are mostly enjoying ourselves because we like the people at our local game store. They have been very supportive getting us in the game. Last saturday we had a small standard tournament. The wife ended up at spot 11, and I came in on place 13 (out of the 13 players... :( ).

I gotta say I expected more of it, but I learned a bunch and not playing Abzan seems to be the problem in the current block :p

New cards are nearly there tho so i`ll be a little bit better next time :)

Anything special you are playing Bara?
Andurin

Postby Barathorn » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:29 am

Andurin wrote:Anything special you are playing Bara?

This has been my deck of choice for the last couple of months,

GB Constellations

Main deck

4 sylvan carytid
4 satyr wayfinder
4 courser of kruphix
2 pharika god of affliction
4 eidolon of blossoms
1 reaper of the wild
3 doomwake giant
3 hornet queen

3 whip of erebos
4 murderous cut
1 heroes downfall
2 bile blight
2 commune with the gods

4 temple of malady
4 llanowar wastes
2 jungle hollow
6 forest
2 swamp
2 nykthos, shrine to nix
2 wooded foothills
1 urborg, tomb of yawgmoth

Sideboard

3 nylea's disciple
3 thoughtseize
2 reclamation sage
1 unravel the aether
2 setessan tactics
1 agent of erebos
2 heroes downfall
1 bile blight

Really solid deck, I make mistakes with it and it isn't always fatal, it is very resilient.

Barathorn

Postby Kai » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:14 pm

so weird how removal has evolved that murderous cut is now a great card. terror was generally not good enough back in the days. but an instnat removal spell that sometimes costs 1-2 mana feels almost broken these days ...

i like having 4 thoughtseize between deck and board, so good in a lot of matchups. although against ascendancy combo you are probably in a pretty bad spot no matter what. but in the mirror or against BUG it's pretty important as well.
Kai

Postby Andurin » Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:37 am

I think I saw some of the GB constellation in action on the Worlds a few weeks ago, and damn it just looks awsome to play ^^ Sadly I dont have the cards to support it yet :p Looks like a really solid deck and really hope I can get something like that aswell someday :D

Lately i`ve been playing some Jeskai (Use Narset to flip Elspeth and Sarkan) and i`m trying to get a Temur deck going with Sagu Maulers, Hooded Hydra and Kruphix, God of Horizons. The last one requires a bit of work but it feels like i`m slowly getting somewhere (i`ll see if I can whip up a decklist tonight :) )

Edit: Oh right, we also opened our Kahns box and managed to get a Sorin, a Polluted Delta and 2 Bloodstained Mires (one foil).
Andurin

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum