Installed Mists a week ago, need some guidance.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Installed Mists a week ago, need some guidance.

Postby Brute » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:15 am

So I looked around a bit and didn't really see exactly what I was looking for, so, new post!

I hit 90 just a couple days ago, after just installing Mists about a week ago (so I know nothing), and my goal before Mists becomes old news (or, preferably, before my playtime runs out in 24 days) is to kill Garrosh in the LFR.

I'm apparently very inadequate gear-wise to queue for it, so primary concern is to get geared up very quickly to tank/dps in the last raid.

1. I'm seeing a lot of talk about this "Timeless Isle" thing and about how it's basically a loot pinata. I need to spend time efficiently, so would my best bet just to be running around this isle and taking on rare spawns and opening chests?
2. I killed some zerg-able raidboss yesterday on the Isle... am I done for the week or do I need to kill all 4(?) of them?
3. Should i be farming justice/valor points, and if so, how should I be spending these points?
4. Are there any relevant factions I should be farming?
5. Is this "Legendary" thingy I keep hearing about worth the time and effort?
6. Any other "can't miss" things I should do over the next 3.4 weeks?
Last edited by Brute on Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brute

Re: Installed Mists a week ago, need some guidance.

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:37 am

1. Yes
2. Done for the week
3. Not really
4. No
5. Yes
6. Depends on where your interests lie. Raiding? Pets? PvP? Run LFRs, cap VP, get lesser charms ...
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Brute » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:52 am

fuzzygeek wrote:1. Yes
2. Done for the week
3. Not really
4. No
5. Yes
6. Depends on where your interests lie. Raiding? Pets? PvP? Run LFRs, cap VP, get lesser charms ...

So basically:

Gear up a bit on Isle -> pound through legendary quest -> kill easy-mode Garrosh -> screw around if I have any time left.

Loremaster Cho wanted something something barrens something something loot. Is that worth looking into?

I'm having an issue of seeing all these thingys that have been released one patch at a time and not knowing what they do. These lesser charms, which you trade for mogu coins, which you use to get ninja gear for lucky seals... ??? So stuff like that is why I'm having to ask stupid questions.
Brute

Postby Ruldar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:03 am

Quick and dirty advice, keep putzing around the Timeless Isle until you have a full set of 496 item level epics. That should give you something in every slot other than weapon and one trinket and plenty of timeless coins. Buy 12 Mogu Runes for 12k timeless coins and queue up for a full run of Throne of Thunder with a goal of spending a bonus roll on each boss kill, that should net you some 502 gear (hopefully including a weapon and a second trinket) with the goal of getting you to an item level where you can queue for SoO LFR. This will also get you the faction to buy most of the Shado-Pan Assault gear, they have a 522 trinket that you may want to look into.

Once you are at 496, queue for all four in order and kill Garrosh in the fourth.

This is more or less what I did with my Mage recently, and it worked fairly well. He had the advantage of having a full set of account bound Timeless Isle 496 items waiting since he was my third 90, but I think this is probably your best bet at bootstraping a new 90 even without a previous 90 on the account to help.

Armory is this I assume? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uther/Brute/advanced

If this is just a 24 day adventure, I'd skip out on running Prot unless you really really want your Garrosh kill to be while tanking him. Tanking in LFR is going to be an unpleasant experience if you go in undergeared and not knowing the fights, and you just don't have enough time to fix both. Also, in less than a month you don't have a chance of finishing the legendary quest. One step is a forced three week wait all on it's own, and that's before you get to suffer through the Runestone droprate.

Okay, that was less quick and dirty than originally planned.
Ruldar
Maintankadonor

Postby Brute » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:16 am

Ruldar wrote:Quick and dirty advice, keep putzing around the Timeless Isle until you have a full set of 496 item level epics. That should give you something in every slot other than weapon and one trinket and plenty of timeless coins. Buy 12 Mogu Runes for 12k timeless coins and queue up for a full run of Throne of Thunder with a goal of spending a bonus roll on each boss kill, that should net you some 502 gear (hopefully including a weapon and a second trinket) with the goal of getting you to an item level where you can queue for SoO LFR. This will also get you the faction to buy most of the Shado-Pan Assault gear, they have a 522 trinket that you may want to look into.

Once you are at 496, queue for all four in order and kill Garrosh in the fourth.

This is more or less what I did with my Mage recently, and it worked fairly well. He had the advantage of having a full set of account bound Timeless Isle 496 items waiting since he was my third 90, but I think this is probably your best bet at bootstraping a new 90 even without a previous 90 on the account to help.

Armory is this I assume? http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/uther/Brute/advanced

If this is just a 24 day adventure, I'd skip out on running Prot unless you really really want your Garrosh kill to be while tanking him. Tanking in LFR is going to be an unpleasant experience if you go in undergeared and not knowing the fights, and you just don't have enough time to fix both. Also, in less than a month you don't have a chance of finishing the legendary quest. One step is a forced three week wait all on it's own, and that's before you get to suffer through the Runestone droprate.

Thanks, this is helpful. I'll need to look up half of those terms you used but that hones it down a lot. I didn't really want to have to take a MoP training course. My available study material at work is extremely limited, and at home time available to do what i want is pretty limited, so I'd rather be playing than catching up on what is what.

And yeah, that's my armory. Guess they've moved sites since I put in the URL. :| I'm currently prot spec because it makes LFG queues non-existent, so farming JP/VP goes a lot faster, but since that's kind of a waste of time anyway I'll just go full-bore ret and hang out on the Isle. Got some nice gloves yesterday from the boss in Timeless Isle for ret, so that gives me a good start I guess.
Brute

Postby Ruldar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:23 am

Feel free to ask about any terms are unclear, I'm just at work so I have time to respond. :P
Ruldar
Maintankadonor

Postby Andurin » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:28 am

Brute wrote:Gear up a bit on Isle -> pound through legendary quest -> kill easy-mode Garrosh -> screw around if I have any time left.

That basicly, without the part of pounding through the legendary quest... It still has the http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=8030/ in it. Wich is going to take up at least 3 weeks of your time ;) (I currently have the same problem :p )
Andurin

Postby Brute » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:32 am

Ruldar wrote:Feel free to ask about any terms are unclear, I'm just at work so I have time to respond. :P

Well ok then :-D

The rares all over the island, am I supposed to be able to solo these? I got mixed results soloing rares while leveling, some clearly too hard for one person and some do-able with patience and playing smart, but I avoided them yesterday just so I didn't get ganked. Should I get a group for these? Do they drop the 496 gear and coins? Would I be better off just looking for chests or are those pretty rare?

Mogu runes: gives bonus roll. Is this like you killed the boss twice or something? Do you just hit a button and elect to use it if you didn't win something? Are they useable anywhere other than ToT?

Throne of Thunder: 5.2 raid instance. Are people still doing this I guess? Seems like in Cata, the only LFR was for the current raid (but honestly I didn't really play the hell out of Cata like I did BC & WotLK), but in the drop-down box in the UI there was like 12 different things listed, which I'm guessing are different wings of 3-4 raid instances? So you're saying to do Throne of Thunder, does this mean I'm skipping a couple of raids (just because I can) to get to the last one quickly?
Brute

Postby Worldie » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:52 am

You won't really find people running normal T14/15 due to the fact that LFR is easier to access and gives better loots. If you find a group it's generally going for achieves and demanding stupidly high Ilvl or achievements or whatever.

There's 3 kind of bonus roll items, Elder Charms (for t14), Mogu Runes (for t15) and War Seals (for T16).
If you got at least one of those when you kill the relevant boss, you get a window that asks you if you want to bonus roll.
If you press no, nothing happens.
If you press yes, the appropriate token gets consumed, and the game does a roll for you: you either win gold, or if you are lucky, you win a random spec-appropriate item from the droplist of the boss. (note that you can win a item you don't need or already own)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Ruldar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:56 am

Brute wrote:The rares all over the island, am I supposed to be able to solo these? I got mixed results soloing rares while leveling, some clearly too hard for one person and some do-able with patience and playing smart, but I avoided them yesterday just so I didn't get ganked. Should I get a group for these? Do they drop the 496 gear and coins? Would I be better off just looking for chests or are those pretty rare?

Unless you are playing on a dead server, if you see a rare just announce it in general chat and plenty of people should show up to help kill them. It's shared loot, so the more people the merrier and you don't even have to group up.

Everything on the island drops coins and gear, you just have a better chance from the rares and chests so kill and open everything you see. The chests are everywhere, and with most being one time only and a small number being weekly.

Brute wrote:Mogu runes: gives bonus roll. Is this like you killed the boss twice or something? Do you just hit a button and elect to use it if you didn't win something? Are they useable anywhere other than ToT?

It's a loot system all of the raid bosses in MoP use. The way it works is you have a currency that allows you to do an extra roll for loot when you kill a boss. It will look something like this. The 5.0 raids use elder coins which can be farmed on the Isle of Thunder, but I wouldn't worry about them. ToT uses Mogu Runes which you can now buy for 1000 timeless coins each. SoO and the Timeless Isle world bosses use Warforged Seals of which you can get 3 a week.

Brute wrote:Throne of Thunder: 5.2 raid instance. Are people still doing this I guess? Seems like in Cata, the only LFR was for the current raid (but honestly I didn't really play the hell out of Cata like I did BC & WotLK), but in the drop-down box in the UI there was like 12 different things listed, which I'm guessing are different wings of 3-4 raid instances? So you're saying to do Throne of Thunder, does this mean I'm skipping a couple of raids (just because I can) to get to the last one quickly?

People are still doing all of the LFR raids, so you can definitely queue for any or all of them. I wouldn't bother much with the pre-ToT raids though, they just aren't worth the effort when you can get gear with a better item level on the Timeless Isle.
Ruldar
Maintankadonor

Postby Jabari » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:09 am

Ruldar wrote:People are still doing all of the LFR raids, so you can definitely queue for any or all of them. I wouldn't bother much with the pre-ToT raids though, they just aren't worth the effort when you can get gear with a better item level on the Timeless Isle.

The caveat here being that if you ARE going to do the legendary quest, the LFRs for Mogushan Vaults, Heart of Fear, and Terrace of Endless Spring will drop the Sigils needed for the first step on that chain.

They can also drop 476/483 weapons and trinkets that you can't fill with Timeless Isle stuff. Getting Elder Charms is easy, just go kill rares on the Isle of Thunder until you get a [Key to the Palace of Lei Shen], then run the treasure scenario. (You'll probably have to do one solo-scenario first to open up the isle teleport-point.)
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Ruldar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 9:17 am

You know, with so many potential drop locations for Sigils, that quest may be doable in a single week of lockouts now. Doesn't all of ToT plus the first eight bosses in SoO also drop them? I think the Mage did it in a couple, but I didn't pound him through every possible LFR the first week he was at 90.
Ruldar
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:04 am

yes first half of SoO drops sigils, as well as runestones and secrets, and all of ToT drops sigils, with second half dropping secrets and runestones

i honestly wouldnt bother too much with the legendary quest, as the first reward is useless now, and you need a 502+ helm for the second one

as far as timeless coin farming..anything and everything you do on the timeless isle will get you coins besides just running around. gathering professions, killing rares, killing world bosses (oh and just one celestial - big glowing animal in the court - per week is needed, they share a loot table and lockout, but you can still help kill them if its your faction's tag if you feel generous) killing just normal mobs, looting chests, there are even 2 dailies that will get you some coins.

if you can find someone with the legendary cloak, and has a 2 person mount, you can get across the gap and loot another chest that so far for me has been 100% drop rate on a burden of eternity.

the gear from the timeless isle is tokens ([urlhttp://www.wowhead.com/item=102269]plate belt[/url], curio(trinket)) that when you use will use your loot spec (right click on your portait) to decide random stats for it.
if you use a burden on a token (before you make it a peice of gear) that gear will be a 535? item. this doesnt work on the curios though. if you are curious as to what trinket you would get for what spec, there is a female panderan vendor by the emperor that sells the higher ilvl trinkets. the procs and every thing are the same, just at 496 ilvl

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Brute » Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:54 am

Wow, lots of good info in here. Thanks, made the world seem a bit smaller and more manageable.
Brute

Postby bldavis » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:05 pm

Brute wrote:Wow, lots of good info in here. Thanks, made the world seem a bit smaller and more manageable.

my pleasure :)

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Next

Return to General