Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Xfighter » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:11 am

Extermi wrote:
Xfighter wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:quick question, what abilites does the Vial of Living Corruption affect?

DP, AD, GoAK, AW, DS, HoP.

Actually a bit "unfair" in that it lowers CD on AW but not on HA - I really did prefer HA and still like the playstyle. But now that I got the trinket, a 2.5 min AW with SW talented is really looking strong(er). Any thoughts here if this shifts talent choices from HA to SW ? (Considering you, like me, dont like DP as the build-up time before the first EF ticks just feels way to loooooong)

It might move it closer, yea. But its still a long CD, and the benefit to HA is you generally want it more often as a "CD", and the 2 mins for most uses of it I've found to be about right in terms of timing.

I'm personally a big fan of running DP over either of the others, so much that when running HA it feels weird for me, but HA does have its uses for me on some fights. (Swapped to DP around heroic horridon so ~a month after ToT) and have only changed to HA for some specific fights. In SoO, the only time I really found myself rocking HA has been on Heroic IronJug for blanket EFs in p2, heroic Malkorok (solo soaking rages), and random Thok kills to help with EFs to stay in p1 longer (mostly earlier kills when DPS lacked).

With the trinket though, I'm sure all are pretty comparable in terms of HP/Min, with SW maybe pulling a bit ahead of HA, and DP being more random (sometimes wayy better, sometimes equal, sometimes worse) - but simming yourself with each using the trinket would be able to give you more concrete evidence of benefits.

Schroom wrote:HA is still as strong as it was.
no really balance. and Blizzard saw this as well. that's why HA is not affected.

Also they stated that they stayed away from effecting talents, as the talents in general (for all specs) aren't balanced around the trinket, and it would make that talent the 100% right choice for most classes, which goes against the whole concept of MoP talents.
Xfighter

Postby kamidak » Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:03 am

how a pally can "soak" the p2 from heroic malkorok(25)? like... pop all cd's and some others external?
And 3m CD back for next p2 :?:
kamidak

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:14 am

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... dus/simple

Could use a quick audit, Ignore the Xuen cloak, I raid with the Nizuao clock on progression stuff.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Lid » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:59 pm

kamidak wrote:how a pally can "soak" the p2 from heroic malkorok(25)? like... pop all cd's and some others external?
And 3m CD back for next p2 :?:

Pretty much, you want to stagger your cooldowns and externals to cover the 20 seconds of the phase. It's made better if you have Rook's Unlucky Talisman, since that works on Blood Rage. You can only really soak the second one if you have a good enough Vial of Living Corruption. The next blood rage is in 2 minutes 50 seconds, and your cooldowns will be slightly off if you don't have that cooldown reduction trinket.
Lid

Postby Schroom » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:01 am

yep or really plan your cooldowns so you only have to use them once. or do enough DPS to kill the Boss before the seoncd BR ^^

take a look @ the Raid discussions here on maintankadin. there are threads for 25 and 10m HM Malkorok
Schroom

Postby burglah » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:03 pm

Hey all, could use your esteemed opinions on my build.

Currently: http://www.wowprogress.com/character/us/kil-jaeden/Alphos (armory isn't up due to a recent realm xfer)

I run 10m heroics and we're currently working on Thok. For progression I use the tank cloak and occasionally the CD reduction trinket.

I recently got the Prot chest and shoulder tokens, and was wondering if it's worth it to drop my heroic off-pieces in order to hit the 4pc bonus. I'm not entirely convinced that it would be worth the stat loss.

Thanks in advance.
burglah

Postby Darrak » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:43 pm

burglah wrote:I recently got the Prot chest and shoulder tokens, and was wondering if it's worth it to drop my heroic off-pieces in order to hit the 4pc bonus. I'm not entirely convinced that it would be worth the stat loss.

If you're running with DP and EF it's imo definitely worth it. When the patch came out i was reluctant about using the 4p but when i tried it i was astonished at how OP it is. With it it's joy to play with eternal flame, which i really hated before. I'd say it's easily worth 10% of haste. Just give it a try on farm and see for yourself.
Darrak

Postby Mordred » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:26 am

Just a quick question on my trinkets. I just picked up the Stamina trinket with the AOE damage reduction, I am thinking of replacing the Spark of Zandaral with it. This will cost me about 3% haste, bringing me from 42.93 haste to 39.87%. I was wondering if the extra stamina is worth more then the amount of haste I am losing. My other trinket is the dodge lifesteal one, kind of useless but I am getting almost 900 haste from the reforge.
Mordred

Postby Kal » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:27 pm

You say Spark gets you about 3% haste, so I assume you have the LFR version. In that case, the upgrade is very much worth it. If it was thunderforged, or even normal and upgraded, I'd recommend keeping it in your bags for when you want some extra DPS, but for survivability, your SoO trinkets are better.

In any case, I recommend grinding out 50k coins for the 535 Alacrity of Xuen. For me, when I select the Low Stamina option on Ask Mr Robot "(Don't use stamina gems, enchants, or trinkets in most cases)" Alacrity is #3 behind Vial of Living Corruption, warforged at #1 and normal at #2.

I have Rook's Unlucky Talisman, Soul Barrier, and Alacrity of Xuen. I switch between the last two depending on whether I feel I need the extra health or the extra DPS. For example, I use Alacrity on all bosses up through Iron Juggernaut, to hurry things along. If my group 3 tanks Dark Shaman, I keep it, if we 2 tank it, I switch to the 2 Stam trinkets. On Nazgrim I use Alacrity again to help kill adds and get a better burn phase. On Malkorok, I use Alacrity since it's a DPS check. On Spoils I use 2 Stam trinkets since I'm opening boxes, which reduces how much Holy Power I can generate. For Thok, I've been using 2 Stam since that's our progression. Last week we were working on Blackfuse instead, so I was using Alacrity to help kill my adds. It's a very flexible system. Eventually, I'm hoping to get Vial to have full time, swapping between Rook's and Alacrity as needed, same concept, just with better stats and cooldown reduction.
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Mordred » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:32 am

It might be a little more than 3% it is the norm version upgraded to 530. Thanks for the advice, I will hold on to it and use it for a dps gain on certian fights.
Mordred

Postby DonFerren » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:15 am

Am I ready for flex?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/wyrmrest-accord/Jenethea/simple

I read that having a 463 shield would get you squashed in SoO LFR. I have upgraded Sutiru's Brazen Bulwark to 484, but had terrible luck getting a shield to drop from Sha of Pride in LFR. Will the upgraded Sutiru's be enough for flex, or should I keep banging my head against LFR?
DonFerren

Postby econ21 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:34 am

DonFerren wrote:Am I ready for flex?

At that itemlevel, you are ready for normal modes.

A better shield would be nice but one item slot is never make or break for a tank (unlike the weapon for a dps).

Your haste is a low, so try to work on that. Use something like ask mr robot to see if you can squeeze your hit and expertise to be closer to caps, then keep an eye out for upgrades with haste on them. Setting your loot spec to ret is often a good idea as there's less chance of low priority stats (but not for bosses that drop shields ofc!).
econ21

Postby DonFerren » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:09 pm

After trying that out, I was able to get just over the hit/exp caps by reforging alone. I also tried replacing all gems with straight up haste. This caused me to lose around 50k health, but only gain about 4% haste. Is it worth the trade off?
DonFerren

Postby econ21 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:19 pm

Given your itemlevel and the content you want to tank - flex - I think it's fine to sacrifice health for haste. That's what I'm doing. If you were undergeared or going up against Garrosh soon, then I might hesitate. But what most people do is work towards the haste cap (50%) as they approach normal mode gear level (553). Heroic raiders have the luxury of capping haste and then choosing stamina, mastery or even crit.

Once you get a nice level of haste, the play style does become very enjoyable. I am still not 100% convinced it's better survival than stamina (opinions differ) but once you've tasted it, it's hard to go back.
econ21

Postby Chromeon » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:28 am

Hey.

Just rerolled to paladin tank and would like some advice.

armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/f ... eon/simple

First a trinket question. I have:
Brutal Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault 2/2
Vial of Living Corruption 2/2
Thok's Tail Tip

Should i replace the Shado-Pan with Thok trinket?

Second, as i just rerolled my gear is a bit low. My guild is 4/14 HC and ive tanked Immerseus, Protectors and Norushen so far. It feels like my HP is a bit low and ive gone all out haste on my gemming. Should i go for some pure sta or haste+sta gems till i bump up my ilevel a bit?

would appreciate some help!
90 / Prot / EU Frostmane
Chromeon

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice