Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:30 am

So... ATL had its worst night since General William T. Sherman paid them a visit back in 1864.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Oct 08, 2013 4:51 pm

---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:24 am

Well, now that baseball season is over (at least IMO), I cant wait to see the losing streak the Browns go on, now that Hoyer is gone for the season, and news of the pending charges against Haslam has started to leak in Cleveland.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:22 am

Would it be crazy to assume that Khan is intentionally wanting the Jags to suck so he can move the franchise somewhere else, perhaps London or LA? Most other owners would sign Tebow if they owned the Jags if only for the increase in ticket sales.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:17 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Would it be crazy to assume that Khan is intentionally wanting the Jags to suck so he can move the franchise somewhere else, perhaps London or LA? Most other owners would sign Tebow if they owned the Jags if only for the increase in ticket sales.

London is NOT happening. I'd be willing to wager money on that one.
  • It's a logistics nightmare. You think the spread on teams going from WC to EC for 1pm kickoffs is bad? You would have to schedule home and away games in chunks, allow for bye weeks for any team coming back from london, work in thursday games, etc...
  • Salaries. London based players would be at a disadvantage due to taxes. You would have to create a separate salary cap strictly for the London team to operate, to even have a chance. No one in their right mind would want to continue to play there, when the tax rate is such a vast difference. You'd have to find a way to compensate.
  • Football games in London sell out, but look at the fans. People are travelling from all over Europe to come to these games, because it is the NFL, and it's a limited time spectacle. They are already fans of other teams. Will a team in London suddenly win over an entire block of countries and "be their team" instead of the team that they already love, or will they suffer the same syndrome tampa has?
  • Europe had NFL Europe / World League, and it floundered. It was incredibly popular for a while, and then it just sort of died, a slow wimpering death in the end. The reason? Europe is all about Futbol, not football. The fans just got tired of it.

Now, LA on the other hand... The Los Angeles Smoguars sounds like a reality in the near future.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:58 pm

I think the Los Angeles Traffic Crawlers have a better ring to it.
---
Klaudandus

Postby halabar » Sat Oct 12, 2013 2:29 pm

No LA team thank you very much. Not interested at all in any team being force fed down my throat. Chargers and Raiders are bad enough already.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:55 am

halabar wrote:No LA team thank you very much. Not interested at all in any team being force fed down my throat. Chargers and Raiders are bad enough already.

Well, better get used to the idea of an LA team Hal. HUGE tv market, and no team? Commishunur is gonna fix dat dere gud.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:19 pm

Shoju wrote:
halabar wrote:No LA team thank you very much. Not interested at all in any team being force fed down my throat. Chargers and Raiders are bad enough already.

Well, better get used to the idea of an LA team Hal. HUGE tv market, and no team? Commishunur is gonna fix dat dere gud.

Hasn't that been said for roughly the past four thousand years?
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Paxen » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:19 pm

The running theory seems to be that the owners love threatening cities with moving to LA too much to actually move a team there.
Paxen

Postby Teranoid » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:19 pm

To be fair though they'd probably fit right in with the other terrible teams filled with overpaid, past their prime players.
Teranoid

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 14, 2013 6:08 pm

Paxen wrote:The running theory seems to be that the owners love threatening cities with moving to LA too much to actually move a team there.

Maybe, but in all honesty, I can't imagine that they leave that market open for that long without filling it with something.
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:16 pm

Seems to me the NFL does well by leaving that market open.

Detroit: "We're not going to pay for a new stadium for the Lions - we're broke already and our housing prices are in the basement and we can't afford the paper to print food-stamps for our poor"

NFL: "Ok, we'll move the team to LA"

Detroit: "What color would you like the siding to be?"
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby halabar » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:29 pm

Koatanga wrote:Seems to me the NFL does well by leaving that market open.

Detroit: "We're not going to pay for a new stadium for the Lions - we're broke already and our housing prices are in the basement and we can't afford the paper to print food-stamps for our poor"

NFL: "Ok, we'll move the team to LA"

Detroit: "What color would you like the siding to be?"

There's one other part...

The local LA *cough* "leadership" *cough* have their heads far too up their asses to ever get a team here. Several deals were scuttled because they insisted the venue had to be the LA coliseum, which will never see a pro team again. Now it's the "leadership" of a certain demographic that wants the money there still, vs some of the new money in town.

And dammit, there's no way I want another team force-fed down my throat.

Finally, the market has been empty for too long, it's a Lakers town first, and everyone who cares already has their own NFL team to root for.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Oct 16, 2013 7:25 pm

Fridmarr
Global Mod

PreviousNext

Return to General