Remove Advertisements

All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Koatanga » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:59 pm

Shoju wrote:
Koatanga wrote:In New Zealand, NFL Game Pass is free.

IN our area, the game was blacked out on the Direct TV Football package, because it was available on a normal channel.

How does it work there if you have satellite TV - do you still get terrestrial channels? NZ is moving to an all-digital model, so even the free channels come off satellites.

I guess my question is: Do people who have Direct TV have the "normal" channels?

I love NFL Game Pass - it's fantastic to go back and re-watch a series or play or whatever, or watch all the games in the week if I had the time and inclination. Only issue is I can't put it on my TV yet (no Game Pass for Samsung store, yet). I'm looking at a dongle that runs android to any USB-capable TV so I can run it on that.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:57 pm

My neighbor has all the normal channels, and even more. He gets "Normal" Channels from other areas as well. (Cincy as well as the NE Ohio Markets)
Shoju

Postby Fridmarr » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:55 am

In most places you can get the local channels over the air, sometimes even in better HD quality than you can get from cable.

In other news...Raise the Jolly Roger...Congrats to the Pirates.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby halabar » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:48 am

Loved hearing the pirates fans chant the name of the opposing pitcher... And then he drops the ball, and then gives up a HR
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shoju » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:42 am

The kid in me is sad that the tribe lost last night.
The realist in me, is saying "they weren't good enough to keep going anyway"
The Adult baseball fan in me is saying "GO RAYS!"

And now, I can watch the Browns suck it up in PRIME TIME BABY! Because that's how Cleveland rolls. Prime Time, is not our time.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:58 am

Go Sawx! >=P
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:28 pm

The Hoyer Era is over.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:03 am

Several times this weekend I saw an NFL Breast Cancer awareness commercial featuring Tina, a mid 40s New York Jets fan.

The commercial goes as follows. She and her husband were watching a MNF Jets game where she asks him "Why are they all wearing pink?" to which he replies "It is breast cancer awareness month."

Tina, never hearing of this before, decides to schedule a checkup with her doctor. Where of course they discover early stages of breast cancer.

Football literally saves her life.

If it wasn't for the fact that she identified as a Jets fan I'd call the entire commercial bullshit.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:01 am

Wait until the prostate cancer commercial airs...
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:14 am

...An ad for breast cancer awareness month? Breast cancer awareness month awareness? Why not just run a straight forward breast cancer awareness ad? Why is promoting the campaign being put ahead of promoting the message, there?
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Flex » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:22 am

KysenMurrin wrote:...An ad for breast cancer awareness month? Breast cancer awareness month awareness? Why not just run a straight forward breast cancer awareness ad? Why is promoting the campaign being put ahead of promoting the message, there?

It is NFL spin control. Stories have come out about how little of the money made from selling Pink merchandise actually goes towards cancer organizations so they spin spin spin.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Shoju » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:01 pm

So... where to start.

• The Patriots, while 4-1 look like a total train wreck.
  • NOTHING, not even Ginger Jesus, and his Lone Star Cowboys, in the pantheon that Jerry built, can beat Peyton Manning
  • Speaking of Peyton. Does anyone think that the Colts really miss him? I mean.... WOW. Andrew luck is amazing.
  • Did anyone actually watch the raiders game that doesn't live in the PST time zone?
  • Are the Chiefs REALLY 5-0? Did I really see that?
  • Were the Pirates fans just as loud yesterday? I didn't get to watch the game, so genuine curiousity there.
  • WTF is up with the Rays? I'm sad :(
  • Did Yasiel Puig die? I haven't heard his name on Sportscenter in a week.
  • My BGSU Falcons are rolling. And that makes me happy
  • Urban Meyer gave Pat Shurmur playcalling duties for the first half Saturday night.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:09 pm

I should note that the Denver Ponies played as if Jack Del Rio was already working for USC... Romo was scorching the secondary, and actually put bigger raw numbers on almost every category than Peyton, and also higher QBR.

Yeah, the Denver secondary that looked lights out for the most part the previous 4 games looked pedestrian if not horrid...
---
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:13 pm

How much does it suck to be a Texans fan? They got good during the height of Payton and the Colts dominance of that division. When Manning goes down and the colts fall off the Earth Schaub gets injured and their playoff hopes die early. The Colts pick up a stud in Luck and look like they'll be dominate again and now the core of the Texans are too old to keep up with the younger Colts.

This of course assumes there are such things as a fan of the Texans.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Oct 07, 2013 1:05 pm

Last week, a restaurant in houston were selling the Schaub burger. Buy a burger and pick 6 toppings. I assume that they will continue to sell it for the foreseeable future.
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to General