Socially engineering a better (worse?) player base

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Socially engineering a better (worse?) player base

Postby Lieris » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:16 am

I have been fairly impressed with some of the LFR encounters this expansion. T14 was kind of mindless but there have been some pretty good fights in T15 and T16 in which you can't have a raid ignore fight mechanics unless building stacks of Determination is the goal. I especially like doing the nests on Jikun.

However why aren't AFK people automatically removed like in PVP? Why aren't there DPS and healing thresholds that must be met? Why is nothing done to counter queue cheating (queuing as healer then specing as DPS or going AFK)? Why are characters that fail the armory audit (gems, enchants) allowed to queue?

We can't have a well designed encounter for LFR and have leech-like behaviour left unpunished, it just becomes too frustrating for those who are trying. If Blizzard don't do something about this they will continue to haemorrhage subs because LFR is becoming increasingly bad tempered. 3 hour SoO LFR wings because 5+ people are leeching causing raids to constantly fall apart and the remaining people are stuck in a queue waiting for a tank is not fun. The absurdly low ilevel threshold for SoO LFR doesn't help either.

Recently one hunter was being really blatant about it and argued that if other people are going to auto-attack/AFK then why shouldn't he and that there were no punishments for it anyway and I guess he's right. Even if he does get vote kicked he can just queue again. There are no repercussions for anti-social behaviour in this game because of the queue system and the game eroding more and more with each expansion the concept of a self-regulating server community. You can AFK (or play like crap) your way through the whole raiding content and to a full tier set so of course people will try it, where's the incentive to NOT do that?

If Blizzard do nothing about this the quality of the player base will continue to tank as the decent people give up altogether because of too many unpleasant experiences.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Re: Socially engineering a better (worse?) player base

Postby Flex » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:30 am

How does a central authority police anti-social behavior across hundreds of servers and many more instance groups?

How do you distinguish between someone who is intentionally tanking vs someone who is trying but not very good? Conversely they would have to build in protections for the person who tries but isn't very good from constantly being punished by people not wanting to deal with them in random match making content.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Lieris » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:09 pm

We can debate whether we think people should even be doing LFR if they don't even have a rudimentary knowledge of their spec and that all that auto-attacking is because they don't know better (effectively being dead weight that others are expected to carry) but I think that's another discussion.

I don't think it's asking too much of Blizzard to have an auto-removal system to combat AFKers and queue cheats and not allowing people who fail their character audit to queue. That at least would be a start but if they won't even do that then talk of DPS thresholds or actions per minute is moot.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:19 pm

So I shouldn't be able to queue for LFR if I log out in my RP Cloth set or my Ret set that is missing enchants? Heck I went two weeks without enchanting my main spec weapon since weapon enchants for tanks are the last thing on my mind.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Lieris » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:24 pm

I am pretty sure the game could do an audit based on your current gear at time of queuing.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:25 pm

Lieris wrote:I am pretty sure the game could do an audit based on your current gear at time of queuing.

Might be able, might not be able to.

Then again Minor Beastslayer on my weapon would bypass the audit.

It also wouldn't address any of your issues with people deciding not to participate.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:05 pm

I don't see the problem with booting AFKers a la pvp really.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:45 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I don't see the problem with booting AFKers a la pvp really.

It'd have to be a big complex solution hopefully not based on the PvP timer to engage in combat with another player. If it was a timer to engage in PvE combat you could have a core group of important roles hijack a group before a boss pull until they force people who are not AFK to get booted from the raid by AFK kicking. Not to mention that it would have to be a sustained period of combat to clear the debuff to remove the temptation to pull the boss and wipe the group to clear your timer.

It would have to be an explicit action by each player, not blindly clicking Yes or No to a no reason given prompt, and require enough of the raid that would make hijacking harder, say 75% of the raid.
Flex

Postby Teranoid » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:07 pm

Or you could just not subject yourself to the stupidity of LFR in the first place.

Blizzard will never waste that much development resources on LFR. LFR has been a dump since it's inception and it's just now coming to the forefront now that actual raiders have zero reason to be there. Anyone competent with 2 free hours a week is running flex and not playing retard roulette wiping for 3 1/2 hours for gear that is a lower ilevel than last tiers normal gear.
Teranoid

Postby Lieris » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:17 pm

Teranoid wrote:Or you could just not subject yourself to the stupidity of LFR in the first place.

Blizzard will never waste that much development resources on LFR. LFR has been a dump since it's inception and it's just now coming to the forefront now that actual raiders have zero reason to be there. Anyone competent with 2 free hours a week is running flex and not playing retard roulette wiping for 3 1/2 hours for gear that is a lower ilevel than last tiers normal gear.

I had hoped to do Flex but players have turned it into a distraction for raiders, not a progression path for those wanting to make the step up from LFR. Finding a group in my situation (no achievements, mediocre gear) isn't obvious as literally nobody I played with last expansion is on my server or faction (and the ones that still are have quit the game). I may give Openraid a try but I am not massively fussed as once I have my cloak and a Garrosh kill I will likely put my account back into hibernation.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 3:38 am

I agree more should be done to deal with negativity in LFR. I find it a bit bizarre that everyone hates on LFR and waxes lyrical about openraid/oqueue when they seem functionally very similar (queuing systems for raids).

On keeping out the "bads", for skill, I think proving grounds should and will be used in future. For gear, the ilevel requirement should also be more nuance: e.g. equipped, valid for spec, and not just in bags. Some adjustment for gems/enchants and different weighting for different slots (e.g. weapon>all for dps).

If the issue is slacking, then maybe some reward for good performance? Rather like the bonus VP you get for the timed objective in heroic scenarios, give players bonus VP if perform above a certain (modest) bar, like >50% of benchmark dps/hps. It could vary with gear, so more is expected of geared players or could just simply be a league table with more rewards to those topping the charts. I don't think a bonus is needed for tanks, as if they fail, it's obvious and painful (hence the long wait for tank replacements).

Maybe some reward for good raid leadership so that it means something? e.g. when the raid quits, everyone gets a screen asking them to rate the raid leader. She gets bonus VP if she receives a certain level of (anonymous) positive feedback.

I wonder if the rewards should be more than extra VPs: maybe a second bonus roll for the last boss?
econ21

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:16 am

What you propose would be too much troll-friendly. Queue with premade just to rate people down or up
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fenrìr » Mon Oct 07, 2013 4:24 am

On keeping out the "bads", for skill, I think proving grounds should and will be used in future.

How exactly would Proving Grounds be used to weed out the 'bad' or 'less skilled' player?

I mean, using myself as the example, I find Proving Grounds horribly boring for solo play content. Does that mean I'm a bad player? A less skilled player than the guy who thrives for the solo content and just does it over and over and over and over because that's his thing? I dabble in a lot of stuff, but there's just some things I just don't do because A. it's optional, and B. it's not fun to me.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:10 am

Tecnically asking to beat a solochallenge in order to get a "rank of skill" isn't a wrong thing per se.

However, as you said, it risks of being horribly boring for people who don't enjoy solo content who would feel forced to go through it, expecially in its current very repetitive iteration.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Teranoid » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:40 am

If PG scaled UP to your gear level instead of vice versa that would make sense.

They're not even a test of your actual ability as much as "use these cooldowns on these waves or you fail"
Teranoid

Next

Return to General