Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Thels » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:29 am

Using 2 haste gems in helm and weapon is only slightly less than 3 haste gems in chest. 160 Haste to be exact, which is definitely worth 270 stamina, considering those reforges might end up in a little more mastery as well.

To calculate your BoG stacks, let's first check how much HoPo a character generates with 0% Haste. CS is used 6.66 times during 30 seconds, and J is used 4.44 times, for a total of 11.11 HoPo. (The Tier 5 talent and Grand Crusader might provide additional HoPo, as would the T15 4pc bones and perhaps smart play when the other tank's tanking.)

Simply increase that 11.11 HoPo with your haste, so in your case we'll multiply it by 1.38, and we get 15.333 HoPo per 30 seconds. That would allow us to use 5 3HoPo moves every 30 seconds. If you have the T16 4 piece, it means 5 SotRs and a free EF (thus 5 BoGs). If you do not have the T16 4 piece, it means 4 SotRs and one EF (thus 4 BoGs). Even at 4 BoGs, EF is a clear winner over SS.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Korendir13 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:41 am

Hey all,

Just wondering if I'm doing this right. This is my tank.
http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... r/advanced

Also, concerning trinkets. I got the Spark of Zandalar a few days ago (yeah it finally dropped for me). I'm not sure if I should use that instead of Alacrity of Xuen or not. I actually need my Brutal Talisman of tSPA for the expertise, so I cannot switch that out. Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Korendir

Edit: Forgot to mention, the Spark of Zandalar is from LFR.
Korendir13

Postby Kal » Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:36 pm

For reference here, we talked trinkets, and I think the two you have are great going into Flex, but I also advise getting Lao Chin's and upgrading it to have a Stamina option on hand, especially for magic heavy fights. Consider upgrading all three while you're at it, or at least Xuen, since the only better options will be Vial, Rook's, or Curse, Flex or LFR.

As for nitpicking, I've got nothing, honestly.

I see you don't have the legendary cape, so if you are not on that quest, I encourage you to go ahead with it, since the catch-up changes make it worth it, even this far in. Other than Blacksmithing's Haunted Steel Greathelm, there aren't any more pre-SoO upgrades, unless you use more Burdens.
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Korendir13 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:32 pm

Hey there Kal,

Thanks for the reply and help. I plan on upgrading them seeing as how there really isn't much we could actually get more of with valor points besides upgrading of T16 gear.

As for the Legendary Cloak, I am actually on the "A Test of Valor" part of the chain. I'm not really looking forward to the PvP part.

If I use the BS helmet, then I would lose the 2pT15 bonus. Is that okay to do?

Thanks again for your help, Kal.

Korendir
Korendir13

Postby Kal » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:18 pm

It's a 20 ilevel upgrade, so yes. Helms are dropping off later bosses, so it would probably be worth the investment. I payed 30k (being generous to a new guild) for mine early on, and I'm still using it. it's probably a lot less now.
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Thels » Wed Sep 25, 2013 3:52 am

I wouldn't upgrade those stamina trinkets right away. You're probably doing at least both world bosses every week, and then there's LFR and Flex and what not, which are all way higher in ilvl. I'd really recommend saving your VP for upgrading 522 and higher items, and don't bother with the lower ilvl items, unless you're capping 3000.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Schadret » Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:46 am

Hey all, got a few new upgrades yesterday and threw in what I had lying around. Figured I'd ask some advice before we raid on Friday.

We're a 2-night (3hr each night) casual 10m raiding guild, currently 6/14. Also done both wings of flex a few times. No problems tanking with how I'm set up, but figured it couldn't hurt to ask. We typically 3 heal stuff. Wondering if going for a few of the +str socket bonuses to help with DPS would be worth it, or just stay as I am since it's working.. Thanks!

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/area-52/Schadret/advanced
Schadret

Postby econ21 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:36 am

Thels wrote:I wouldn't upgrade those stamina trinkets right away.

That was my initial reaction too, but then I remembered that Lao Chin's stamina trinket now costs JP, not VP. JP are pretty easy to get while grinding valor and there's very little else worth buying with them (except heirlooms).
econ21

Postby Thels » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:15 pm

JP to buy, so yes, go out and buy them.

However, if I understood correctly, they're still VP to upgrade.

If they are actually JP to upgrade, then yes, you should upgrade them ASAP.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Kaena » Mon Sep 30, 2013 5:09 pm

ALright, you guys have given be some great advice so far and I have been following suit.

My characters armory is linked in my signature but I am having what I feel to be a tanking problem.

Here is siegecrafter logs from last night
http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-oe6cn ... 365&e=2640

As you can see my DTPS is ridiculously high. I was however doing 55% of my own healing that fight but I feel like that is way to high. I have also just switched to eternal flame, is this just a result of losing sacred shield?

My uptime for EF was about 70% and was 40% for shield of the righteous. 9 ef's and 20 odd SoTR.

My CD's are being used to reduce the big damaging abilities e.g. electrostatic charge third stack, the frenzy when the shredder dies and then when the shredder is nearing the end of its life and is hitting like a truck.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
Kaena

Postby Winkle » Tue Oct 01, 2013 4:29 am

Here's a comparison to my last Siegecrafter kill: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/5jknlvjs ... 297&e=5538

You do seem to be taking approximately 135% of my damage.

Here's your CD usage: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-oe6cn ... 365&e=2640

and here's mine: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/5jknlvjs ... 297&e=5538

Our CD/buffs gained looks relatively similar, the only large discrepancy is the use of HA. Since you start the pull it strikes me as strange that you wouldn't use HA on the pull. With HA on the pull not only do you get an immediate Shield of the righeous up but also you can quickly build up 5 bastion stacks for a nice EF.
Winkle

Postby Kaena » Wed Oct 02, 2013 1:56 am

I tend to save HA for when the frenzy pops up after killing the Ad and I have to tank the boss, IT seemed to make that part easier to heal, maybe it is better at the start? I am not sure.

Unusual that I am using the cooldowns similarly but so much higher on damage taken
Kaena

Postby Schroom » Wed Oct 02, 2013 2:56 am

the on thing I noticed by comparing your logs to mine.

you take to much unnecessary damage.

Superheated
Death From Above
Detonate!
Shockwave Missile

ar ALL things that should never hit you, and can be avoided.

it would reduce your Total damage received by about 1.5 Million.
Schroom

Postby Kaena » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:53 pm

Mm yeah, that was a messy attempt, we had a new tank that night and dps were running superheated on top of me and blocking me from the shredder.

Didn't realise I got hit by shockwave or death from above though, bad tank, but would that equate to the difference ?
Kaena

Postby Tiburse » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:27 pm

This it where im at, stuck in LFR as my work schedule prevents me from finding a full time raiding guild. (sat-wed 2pm-11pm EST) If anyone needs a tankadin let me know. ;p

Just wondering where I should go from here going to be getting the Brutal Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault to replace my Resolve of Niuzao next week. Just wondering where else I should be heading at this point (legendary cloak is in works as well)

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... e/advanced
Tiburse

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice