Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby daishan » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:18 pm

A link to logs would help some.

He's definitely casting EF too much, he should be casting it about once every 30 sec probably best letting it drop off and waiting a few sec until he's not at full hp before casting EF so that the initial heal is less of a waste.
So about 17 EF casts in 8.5 min not 45 O.o (that's definitely EF casts and not ticks right?)

There's nothing wrong with using dps trinkets assuming they're not crit ones.

Mastery gearing is still viable and is only slightly behind haste from a survival point of view but it's a long way behind in dps.

Even at low haste levels and keeping EF up I'd imagine he should be able to get SotR uptime above 30%, with a high haste build it should be 40-60% depending on the fight and which t5 talent.

Passing on those shoulders seems foolish, even if the lower ilvl ones had haste the extra armour, stam, and 2 fringing sockets!!! are just far better.
Daishan
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 11:41 pm

C55S wrote:22 SotR cast, 45 EF.

Yes, that does seem low for SotR. I think the aim is to cast EF at 3 Bastion of Glory, so infer a ratio of 3 SotR to 1 EF would be closer to what was desirable. Ask him to google Sacred Duty and pick up Theck's weakauras - they should help him track EF, that should help.

Also, he's reforged everything to mastery after hit capping ... I think his obsession with haste is too far gone though.

Reforging mastery after hit capping or after haste capping? Because if it is the former, then that hardly qualifies as an obsession with haste. Typically, paladins go for mastery or haste, with the latter generally being more beneficial. If he gets to 50% haste, then he could start to go mastery.

...and is using double DPS trinkets, though that seems par for the course these days?

Yes. There weren't many good tank trinkets in ToT. Lei Shen's stamina/bubble was ok but may be it did not drop for him? If I wear my stamina trinkets, I'm looking at 489 and 502 ilevel. Otherwise, the 522 dps ones were useful in giving secondary stats that help survival and the strength procs were gravy. This should change this tier, with some nice tank trinkets.

Tankadins across Azeroth cried when those shoulders dropped. I got them on Flex and sighed to my raid, why did I choose protection loot spec? But yes, given the ilevel difference, he should upgrade.
econ21

Postby Thels » Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:18 am

Anything more than 13 ilvls apart means you should take it. Heck, if it was a holy paladin piece, it was still worth the upgrade due to the armor and stamina along, let alone the sockets.

Casting EF more than once per 30 seconds, is basically making it a WoG, as you don't get a hot from it, and except for Lei Shi, it's better to mitigate the damage with SotR, than to heal it back up with WoG. It's actually even worse, since his EF BoG stacks will be abmyssably low, so his hot is way lower than supposed to be.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Kaena » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:36 pm

Hi, how is everyone?

I have read a number of things here and finally got my account validated. I have been tanking for about 2 months now and we are a 10/14 normal SoO guild on Barthilas.

I wanted to get some advice on my gearing and how I can optimize it. Also, I should aim to reach 50% unbuffed for prot? After that go into stam or mastery depending on choice or preference.

any advice is appreciated especially on my gearing choices.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/b ... a/advanced

Also, just added the guild logs page
http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/195494/

Thanks, Josh
Kaena

Postby Thels » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:52 am

The 50% is a cap, not a goal. Haste is nice, and up to the 50% cap, more haste is nicer, as long as it doesn't cost us too much other stats. If you do reach the cap, start reforging to other stats, but don't go out of your way to reach it.

I'm a little confused about your gemming tactic. You actually go for the strength bonuses on your helm and weapon, while ignoring the stamina bonus on your chest. You use hit gems, but reforge hit to expertise (with mastery in between).

Why not instead use full haste gems in your helm and weapon, and gem Expertise/Haste in your chest. Then reforge the excess expertise back to Hit and Mastery?
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Aark » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:14 pm

Hi. I just looted a chest token from Sha of Pride. As a prot pally, should I take Battleplate of Winged Triumph (1127 Haste, 1078 Mastery) or Chestguard of Winged Triumph (814 Expertise, 1281 Mastery)? My character sheet: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/a ... 4an/simple
Aark

Postby Kal » Sat Sep 21, 2013 10:01 pm

I'd suggest going for 4 piece prot first. The chest token drops early, so you'll probably have another one before you get 4 tier pieces anyway. The best piece to get offset is legs, FYI.
"There is no such thing as luck; there is only adequate or inadequate preparation to cope with a statistical universe."
- Robert A. Heinlein
Kal

Postby Aark » Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:44 am

Thanks for the fast response, Kal. Should I gem them Expertise/Haste to get the socket bonus (270 stam), or socket straight Haste? My expertise isn't at 15, but I could purchase the Expertise trinket from Shado-Pan assault.
Aark

Postby econ21 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:53 am

Aark wrote:Thanks for the fast response, Kal. Should I gem them Expertise/Haste to get the socket bonus (270 stam), or socket straight Haste? My expertise isn't at 15, but I could purchase the Expertise trinket from Shado-Pan assault.

I would never turn down a 270 stam bonus.

I was thinking of getting the expertise trinket too, but am glad I held off. I'm getting quite a few drops and upgrading everything has used up my stock of valor. As you gear up, capping expertise won't be a problem at all with the size of the secondary stat budget you can reforge/gem and hopefully new trinkets will drop.
econ21

Postby Aark » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:40 am

Good point on using VP for upgrades, econ21. I'll hold off and see how the RNG treats me. lol. These are my first posts on the site and may I say, you guys are great! Thanks for the quick, good advice. :D
Aark

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:20 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Jackinthegreen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:59 am

Klaudandus wrote:http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/feathermoon/Klaudandus/simple

Could use a quick check-up.

How often do you use Prism? I think I recall some tests showing it could end up lowering HoPo generation if used on CD or close to on CD. Do you ever find yourself using it when you'll shortly have a HoPo generator up? You might want to take an inventory of that if you haven't been paying attention to it and see whether it does cause clashes or otherwise slow you down. Going for Light's Hammer instead might be better since it's done once a minute instead of 3 times a minute.

How are your pulls using DP? Not being able to start a pull with HA or SW means you're taking bigger hits at the start, but you do get good returns for the rest of the fight. If you're not the tank doing the initial pull then DP can be awesome, but if you're at all worried about getting gibbed on the pull (or later on if you use other CDs to compensate) then you might want to look at HA or SW to smooth out the start.
Jackinthegreen

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Sep 23, 2013 10:53 am

I really don't have problems in the sense I'm dying, but for some reason, I do seem to generate less threat than other tanks. The prism allows to get extra threat on adds. That's really why I use it.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Jackinthegreen » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:05 pm

What class is your usual cotank? If you're tanking with a monk then chances are you're almost certainly going to be screwed on tanking adds. Keg Smash is still a monster from what I've read. If you aren't tanking with a monk then you'd likely have a decent shot.
Jackinthegreen

Postby Kaena » Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:55 pm

Thels wrote:The 50% is a cap, not a goal. Haste is nice, and up to the 50% cap, more haste is nicer, as long as it doesn't cost us too much other stats. If you do reach the cap, start reforging to other stats, but don't go out of your way to reach it.

I'm a little confused about your gemming tactic. You actually go for the strength bonuses on your helm and weapon, while ignoring the stamina bonus on your chest. You use hit gems, but reforge hit to expertise (with mastery in between).

Why not instead use full haste gems in your helm and weapon, and gem Expertise/Haste in your chest. Then reforge the excess expertise back to Hit and Mastery?

Thanks for the reply, yeah, I was trying to find any way to maximize haste because about a week ago I was at 32% while trying to get stam up.

I wasn't putting those sockets in to get the bonus, just put the gems there because they gave me the bonus and got me the highest haste. So your suggestion is just go straight haste and get the chest socket.

Also, I just took eternal flame talent, is m 38% haste high enough to be using it regularly? or do I need more? My buffed HP is 808k atm so how beneficial is the increased stam over just getting the highest haste (which will change this week when we raid)

Thanks for the help and sorry for my late reply
Kaena

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice