Remove Advertisements

Returning Pally Tank?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Returning Pally Tank?

Postby cpollo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:05 pm

Greetings all,

Recently I've gotten the bug to start playing WoW again.

I started playing back in the BC days, and started tanking casually. Once Wrath of the Lich King hit, I started tanking multiple nights a week in a progression group as one of the top tanks on the server, clearing all the way through content until ICC hit, at which point I had to stop playing the game. I returned briefly for Cataclysm, leveled to 85, but had to stop again. Now that I'm in college, I have an incredibly flexible schedule and really want to get back into WoW again.

I definitely don't want to come back as a casual player - I want to come back and raid. My main fear is, how hard is it to catch up since I've been absent for such a long time? I feel like when I come back I'd be so far behind that I'd never be able to work myself up to the point that I could be raiding in a progression guild again. There have clearly been a huge amount of changes throughout Cataclysm and MoP, and it's all a little overwhelming. If anybody can give me some insight on jumping back into the game and trying to get back to progression raiding, I'd greatly appreciate it.
cpollo

Re: Returning Pally Tank?

Postby econ21 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:29 pm

It should not be that hard to catch up. The latest patch adds the Timeless Isle stuffed with 496 gear you can loot from chests that should get you close to the 496 average item level you need to get into the latest Looking For Raid. Once you've run LFR a few times, you should be geared for the latest normal raid.

The raiding population has collapsed since wotlk (90% of raiding guilds gone on many servers), so often you'll find guilds in need of reliable people.

In terms of mechanics, tanking is arguably the most engaging and fun it's ever been in WoW. Have a read of some guides - say Icy Veins or Fetzie's guide on tankspot. Pro-tip: pick up Theck's weakauras from his Sacred Duty blog. With those, threatplates and DBM, you'll be good to go.
econ21

Return to General