Coming Back to WoW?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Coming Back to WoW?

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:18 am

I started messing around with Final Fantasy 14 the other day... and thus far I hate it. I think about all the years I played World of Warcraft and the awesome story and the intricate boss battles. I was just curious as to what people thought the state of WoW was?

I don't think I could ever be a hardcore raider again as I am now an RN who works 3 twelves a week with on call all the time and night shift.I suppose a morning raiding guild would be interesting? What were some of your guys favorite things about mist. I've cleared all content in game and did some pretty amazing fun, stuff. I did not purchase Mist of Pandaria.

I guess it just depends on why I play the game... I should totally look up the lore. Perhaps with the next expansion.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Re: Coming Back to WoW?

Postby Era » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:13 am

Mists of Pandaria is probably the best expansion ever if you have to return on a casual basis. There has never been more stuff to do for the casual player.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Flex » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:29 am

There is the great Blizzard troll of Challenge Mode 5 mans. Which feature harder 5 mans that are a speed race that favors class stacking. They offer no rewards other than cosmetic stuff so you get one set of people who hate it because it favors class stacking but don't mind the cosmetic stuff and then you have another set of people who hate it because it only awards cosmetic stuff.

Pet Battles are super casual RPS Pokemon clone that offers a lot of play time if you like that game style. On the flip side Pet Battle PvP is an awesome meta game of exploiting comps and finding pets that work well together.

Doing all of the exploration stuff without wowhead cheating would take quite a bit of time as well.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby econ21 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:26 pm

The raids are good and, while there is a lot of hate towards LFR, personally, I find it quite a good way to experience the content. Just be a tank or healer. (Both for the gameplay and for the shorter queues.)

Also, people say MoP is alt unfriendly and it would be insane to try to keep your alts all raid geared. But keeping half a dozen at the entry standard of the current LFR is rather easy. If you have a bunch of alts, you could get a lot of gameplay out of running them through LFR. Just try not to think about valor capping them - that way lies madness.
econ21

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:24 pm

Challenge modes were the most fun I've had in a long time. We didn't really class stack much because we took who we had, and it was great fun figuring out how to do things.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:26 pm

If all you want is 9/9 Gold, then you can do it with almost any group setup. I mean, 3 melee dps probably won't work (and if it does it'll be really hard), but if you keep to 2 melee + 1 range oder 1 melee and 2 range you can take any class with you and be done relatively quickly.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Thels » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:05 am

Indeed. If you go for top times, then class stacking is really the way to go, but if you go for 9/9, you can do it with most setups.

That doesn't mean all setups, though. 3 melee indeed doesn't work. And it does help to have at least some of the raid buffs available in your 5 man party, so having 3 or 4 of the same class is also not advised. :P

Classes/specs that don't scale very well with gear (and thus still provide very decent DPS at low gear levels) are still highly recommended, though.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Ruex » Wed Sep 25, 2013 5:51 pm

Playing SWTOR these days. Casually as even when I don't have much time to play I can still log in when I let my Sub lapse.
Still tanking as a Sith Juggernaut. I cannot get enough tanking. Tried a few times when Wow gave me some free time but I cannot get back into it. Miss where I used to be in the game and the people I played with for ages. Game just feels hollow for me now: It's not the same and neither am I. Have great memories and nostalgia to it, but I'll have to keep it in that spot of things you love but don't look into much anymore. Like old Thundercats episodes.

Postby 2Cute2BeStr8 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 10:37 pm

It's just so hard when I think about how the game has changed since Vanilla. I remember starting off on a warlock and having to banish things and use CC. And then I feel in love with paladin tanking. It sounds pathetic but I miss that game every month and the more I play FF14 the more I miss it. My problem is I could never play casual. I was too hardcore and expected everyone else to be. I mean the game was so easy. All you had to do was read. Players on here practically told you everything you needed. I mean for world first it was a little harder.

I mean I solo tanked heroic ragnaros. Solo tanked Heroic Lich King ( at 30% nerf obviously) and on 10 man. The things I did in that game were deemed impossible and were just so much fun. SO far I really think FF14 has tons of potential. I loved the group set ups with group buffs and such in cataclysm. Also when cataclysm first came out the dungeons were actually hard and what not and it was a lot of fun. Plus I really loved the lore of WoW.

Ugh. My heart literally aches. Yes clearly I"m a homo but that game was such a big part of my life. Also 45 minute baron run most epic thing ever... I would have loved the challenge mode and I"m all about group stacking. My brother just was saying how Monk in FF14 is hard and I said any melee is usually hard and in Wow if you were melee you myswell not even message me for a group because unless you were amazing you were probably just not useful to my group/raid. I remember in TBC if I could have had a raid of nothing but shadowpriest I probably would have. I loved shadowpriest even in Vanilla. ( shadoweave for my warlock!)

I need to find an awesome bf who plays WoW and get back into it.
2Cute2BeStr8
Maintankadonor

Postby Era » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:20 pm

I dunno man, not so many single guys on the internet.

My advice? If you miss WoW, just resub. Only thing you have to lose (other than time/money, which is arguably important) is your expectations of how fun it'll be. But your memories won't change. Those glory days will always be the glory days, and if you're lucky, maybe you get to create some new ones as well.

I'm sure there's lots of popcorn-worthy arguments to be had on whether or not the game is too easy now, but it's difficult to dispute that the game has come a long way in terms of complex and interesting fight mechanics.
"Ask stupid questions. Growth is fuelled by desire and innocence. Assess the answer,
not the question. Imagine learning throughout your life at the rate of an infant."
Era

Postby Lieris » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:17 pm

Now is a good time to resubscribe and check out the new content, there's a lot there for casual players. I don't think it's worth staying subscribed for more than a few months but that may be because I don't have any friends in-game and I am not in the right kind of guild for a sociable friendly experience.

You will find it difficult to do the gold medal challenge modes because most people aren't interested in doing it and the few that were did it ages ago.

Raiding is also very inaccessible due to the huge gap between LFR gear and catch up epics and actual raid gear. Item level inflation has gone more than a bit crazy. Plus everyone seems to expect you to have the legendary meta gem and cloak.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:33 pm

Well honestly speaking, the legendary gem alone is a stupidly high boost in dmg and healer mana regen, and it doesn't really take long to get it now (prolly less than a month, essentially cockblock being the 3k valor).

Again with the boost, and now being 13 bosses instead of 5 to get runestones from (plus guaranteed from lei shen which is also a recent addition) even getting to the cloak shouldnt get more than a month and a couple weeks.

I'd think it would make sense that if you are to join a serious raiding guild, you are expected to have the cloak or at very least the gem.

If you have a guild who cant even clear normal asking for Legendary, then that's the usual guild asking T6 to clear Kharazan ;)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Archeth » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:17 pm

"Come back and in two months you can raid with us" sure is a great way to get people back into the game.

Other things can still be worth resubscribing for, though.
Archeth

Postby Lieris » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:57 pm

Worldie wrote:Well honestly speaking, the legendary gem alone is a stupidly high boost in dmg and healer mana regen, and it doesn't really take long to get it now (prolly less than a month, essentially cockblock being the 3k valor).

Again with the boost, and now being 13 bosses instead of 5 to get runestones from (plus guaranteed from lei shen which is also a recent addition) even getting to the cloak shouldnt get more than a month and a couple weeks.

Assuming I get 6 SotE on wednesday it will have taken me 2 months to get the legendary gem and that's with very good luck in drops and proper planning to ensure quest parts overlap perfectly. I hope to have the cloak done in the next 4 resets but I am taking nothing for granted. If someone wants to do heroic modes it's roughly a 3 month slog before any guild will look at them. Given the huge gap between LFR and normal mode gear I don't think any half decent normal mode guilds would look twice at a character like mine either unless they were really desperate. I quite enjoy the legendary acquisition process and it's great that finally any class can get it but combined with item level inflation it has made MOP by far the most unfriendly expansion for newcomers to get into raiding guilds.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Mon Oct 07, 2013 2:30 am

There is ways to impress people that go beyond a item.

Back in DS times, I got taken in a (good) guild that eventually cleared full Cata content when relevant, with my priest in essentially blue and welfare epics and nowhere close to get Dragonwrath, just because my application was so impressive.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to General