Proving Grounds - Tank

Strats / Info that doesn't fit in a specific instance

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, guillex

Proving Grounds - Tank

Postby Pallyana » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:34 pm

Damn that wave 10 gold. Either the mistweaver gets owned or I get my face punched in. Any thoughts on Proving grounds in general?

I've been watching some videos (though I haven't found a Tankadin version) and I notice that people easily clear the wave before the next one. Have Tankadins been able to do the same? I generally can't clear the wave before the next one unless I get lucky with some crits.

I'm setup as Haste all the way.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/c ... ana/simple

Actually still wearing my challenge gear as I rage quit just now.
2k DPS Prot paladin.
Pallyana

Re: Proving Grounds - Tank

Postby Belloc » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:07 am

Here's something that'll probably help you with wave 10:

The wave starts with a small flamecaller shooting lava all over the place, right? Did you know that those lava pools deal damage to the adds? They also increase their damage taken. I didn't know this when I finished Gold and so the last wave really scared me with how much damage I was taking, but proper usage of the pools should make it a lot easier.

It can be hard to get the adds into the pools without running through yourself, but if that's what it takes, then run through, park on the edge, heal up, and let them stand in the pool until they die. You can also wait to grab certain adds until after you're in place so that they have to run through the pool to get to you. Also feel free to stun one of the adds while it's in a pool. The lava debuff will stack and stack and stack and they will just melt.

Using the lava pools takes a bit of practice and it's really easy to get yourself killed, but once you get the hang of it, it'll help a lot. Indeed, using the pools is required for endless mode if you want to get to the later waves.

Good luck!

edit: Speccing for CC might help you with an add or two, but I didn't go that route.
Belloc

Postby Pallyana » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:56 am

Yeah, I've been using the pools, but I think I need to figure out the video settings to turn off to make it easier to tell where the edge of the fire is.

Watching some of these Monk/DK runs makes me sick though. They don't even use the lava pools and clear waves :/
2k DPS Prot paladin.
Pallyana

Postby xstratax » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:43 pm

Yeah I had a hell of a time on Gold (Silver was cake though). The heal was pathetic, and I found myself having to worry more about DPS than anything.

The lava thing helps immensely, as does using CC, esp on the Enrages. I found that if youre worried about your own intake, leave the Flamecaster hitting the NPC until you have the higher priority adds down, just not for too long or she gets dangerously low.

I never tried it, but glyphing Blinding Light might be a really good strat. Definitely take Fist of Justice though, its too good there.
xstratax
Maintankadonor

Postby Darrak » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:23 pm

i have some inner feeling that for proving grounds avoidance is the way to go...it's the best at reducing total dmg taken and imo grand crusader rocks the world there

any thoughts on that?
Darrak

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:09 am

When I was struggling with this I built an avoidance/stam set trying to guess what Blizzard tuned for. My damage contribution dropped to 10.7% overall, and I still couldn't get past the 10th wave, and I was dying a lot more frequently on earlier trivial waves.

Went back to haste set and damage contribution jumped to 17.6%, which made everything a lot easier -- I could get to W10 with every single CD available. And still get wrecked (several sub-5% wipes). Got it eventually when I got a lot smarter about which CDs to use when. Glyphed Blinding Shield ended up doing the trick.

I did not know you could use fire puddles offensively; I wish I'd known as it probably would have made things a lot easier.

I'm glad I spent the time working on this. I think it really did make me a better tank.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Belloc » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:37 am

Darrak wrote:i have some inner feeling that for proving grounds avoidance is the way to go...it's the best at reducing total dmg taken and imo grand crusader rocks the world there

any thoughts on that?

I was kind of thinking this, too, but haste/mastery has so much going for it that I honestly don't think that anything else will do. Haste helps you kill waves faster, increases the speed of your Eternal Flame ticks, and gives you more SotR casts.

Avoidance is, as always, streaky. Sometimes you'll avoid a bunch of attacks and sometimes you'll get hit by everything. Haste/mastery protects against bad streaks.

I managed to get to wave 29 of endless last night and it's my experience that, with a haste/mastery build, all waves will either die before the next wave spawns OR you will have a manageable number of adds left over for the next wave, at which point you will almost always get caught up. In other words, gearing for avoidance hoping for GC procs isn't necessary (or probably even desirable) for getting through waves faster... you just need a good plan for each individual wave.

Proving grounds, at this point, seems to be all about using your cooldowns effectively.

I really hate linking to MMO-Champion, but Firefly33 has an excellent "guide to proving grounds" post up. It's a guide for endless mode, but the lessons in it are very easy to apply to gold. I have found that his recommended talents and glyphs are incredibly effective.
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/134 ... and-beyond

And here is WoWhead's guide, which should include descriptions of every bronze/silver/gold wave, so that you can make a plan on when to use cooldowns.

http://www.wowhead.com/news=219282/wowh ... nd-rewards
Belloc

Postby Xfighter » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:50 am

Belloc wrote:Proving grounds, at this point, seems to be all about using your cooldowns effectively.

Pretty much this. If you are able to learn where to use what cooldown, everything else becomes a non-issue. You can also bait her into which mob to attack, as she hits the lowest % mob. (and AoEs at 4+). So in reality, even if you don't kill all the mobs in a wave in time (there are a bunch where I cant even kill them all), it ends up evening out on the next wave as she'll typically go into AoE mode instead of single target, and that alone catches you back up.

Utilizing stuns is a pretty huge aspect as well, especially when waves chain-spawn ambushers, as a stun when a single one is up, allows the banana stack debuffs to drop. Also as a paladin, (suppose dwarf-tanks in general have it pretty easy) as you can bubble/stoneform the bleeds from the small rabbits off.
Xfighter

Postby Belloc » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:47 pm

For those doing Endless Tank, I strongly suggest using Holy Avenger over Divine Purpose. I was able to use HA on waves 2, 6, and 9 (and 12, 16, 19, 22, 26, 29, 36, 39, 42, 46, 49) and, up until I was in the 20+ waves, I didn't have to use GotAK at all. HA is an incredibly strong tank cooldown in here and, as I said above, proving grounds is all about using cooldowns at the appropriate times.

I've also found that, once you've seen the 10 rotating endless waves a time or 10, you learn by heart where every add spawns. Once you've learned where the adds spawn, I strongly suggest using the following tactic: On waves 1, 4, (and 11, 14, 21, 24, 31, 34, etc), you can be standing right in front of where the Wind-Guards spawn and immediately hit them with a Crusader Strike (and, if you saved up enough HP, an SotR). Doing this will cause Sikari (your healer/dps buddy) to attack the Wind-Guard over the ripper/conqueror that spawns. This causes the Wind-Guard to die first, which will greatly reduce the damage you're taking on those waves. This isn't, of course, necessary, but it really helps once you start getting up there in waves.

I think I'll start frapsing for my wave 50+ attempts :P
Belloc

Return to General Strats