Remove Advertisements

How should you use Eternal Flame?

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

How should you use Eternal Flame?

Postby econ21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:30 am

I'm still struggling to figure out the best way to use Eternal Flame. It's effectiveness seems to do depend on so many factors: (a) holy power; (b) bastion of glory stacks; (c) vengeance; (d) your current health %; (e) whether you will take any big hits soon; (f) how many seconds are left on any existing EF HoT; (g) how much damage is physical vs magic; (h) whether you have talented DP and whether it procs. And probably more.

What are some good rules of thumb that make best use of the talent given this complexity?

One "conservative" rule, is to build up 5 bastions of glory and only cast EF at 3 HoPo when your health has dipped considerably (say 50% or whatever). That's how I used to use WoG pre-5.4 when I talented SS as it gives you a mini-Lay on Hands for emergencies but it seems potentially wasteful of the HoT part of EF. It's what Firefly33 recommends at MMO Champion.

At the other extreme, a "maintenance rule" would be to try to keep the HoT up as much as possible: cast it at 3HoPo initially (even if at full health) just to get the HoT, and then refresh when it is about to expire. That's what Wrathblood recommends at Elitist Jerks.

If you go the maintenance route, there's also the issue of refreshing EF to get a stronger HoT, if the vengeance spikes up (or you get much higher Bastions of Glory). I used to do this with SS, perhaps excessively, using Theck's weakauras.

What do other people do? What's best?
econ21

Re: How should you use Eternal Flame?

Postby Magnilda » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:40 am

Came here to ask the same questions. Opted for Sacred Shield for last week just to be in my comfort zone for the new content. Didn't manage to get to Garrosh in the first week, so with another week of normals it seems like a good time for me to try out Eternal Flame.

If following the conservative rule do I want to be getting up a small EF HoT as soon as possible in the fight? Waiting to get the 5 stacks of bastion & three holy power may take a while without instantly popping holy avenger.
Magnilda

Postby econ21 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:50 am

Magnilda wrote:Waiting to get the 5 stacks of bastion & three holy power may take a while without instantly popping holy avenger.

People say let the other tank go first in tank swap fights, so you can build up BoG. But otherwise yes, HA does look pretty attractive for the conservative rule.

I tried EF last week and treat it like I used to treat SS, following the maintenance rule. The HoT was very noticeable but it wasn't clear I was playing optimally, as I was refreshing it in rather ad hoc ways.
econ21

Postby Honor » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:07 pm

What I have gathered is its best to keep it up at all times just like SS. The biggest thing to keep in mind is your vengeance and if your using holy avenger, because 30k every 2 seconds isnt as great as you can get it to the 200k+ every 2 sec which is pretty awesome. I really wish there was a way to keep track of how much it is ticking for so you know if its worth refreshing.

Basically though if im going from no vengeance with the hot still on to high vengeance I will refresh.

but yea I was hoping ot find some advice on an addon to keep track of the EF tick making it easier to know if it should be refreshed.
Honor

Postby econ21 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:48 am

Honor wrote:...but yea I was hoping ot find some advice on an addon to keep track of the EF tick making it easier to know if it should be refreshed.

Have you checked out Theck's weakaura's strings:

http://www.sacredduty.net/2013/09/12/5- ... s-strings/

On usage, I finding it more interesting than Sacred Shield, just because it is more complex. I'm inclined to follow Wrathblood's advice to get the HoT ticking as soon as you have 3 HoPo, but thereafter try to refresh at 5BoG. I am not sure about Firefly's suggestion to wait for a big hit: I don't think I've got the self-control for that, but it's something to work on.
econ21

Postby jere » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:11 pm

I've been struggling with this as well. For me (low haste atm due to laziness), I can only manage to keep up EF if I cast it every 3 stacks of BoG. Waiting for 5 stacks of BoG drops my uptime considerably. Considering switching back to SS until I have more haste. I wonder how 3BoG EF's compare to SS. I guess I need to dig through some posts to figure it out.
jere

Postby Thels » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:59 am

At 25% Mastery and 200k vengeance, they tick for the same amount. Naturally, EF still has the advantage of ticking twice, while SS has the advantage of being an absorb.

Increasing vengeance makes SS more efficient. Increasing mastery makes EF more efficient. At 20% mastery, SS ticks harder, even at very low vengeance levels. At 30% mastery, EF ticks harder, even at very high vengeance levels.

As for how to use it... EF heals, and therefor is reactive. The dot doesn't do you much good if you are at full health, so imho, you might as well save it for when you take a drop in health, even if that means EF falls off. The moment you drop a bit, the WoG part brings you back up, and from there the EF hot is in place again.

That of course assumes you can EF whenever needed. If you have the 4 piece T16 bonus, that's easy, you won't be needing any HoPo. If you do not have the 4 piece T16 bonus, you should still be fine, if you SotR only when you have 5 HoPo and a generator available.

However, if you need to use SotR at other times, like to mitigate a boss ability, then you basically have 3 options:
- EF prematurely, just to get the HoT up.
- Sit on some HoPo, SotR just before the boss ability, and EF directly after. If by sitting on HoPo you actually take damage beforehand, it's quite possible to EF before the ability strikes to bring yourself back up, and SotR to mitigate it's damage.
- Just do as normal, and hope that after you used SotR, you get back up to 3 HoPo fast enough.

I'm not convinced yet which of the 3 options would be best. It probably varies from situation to situation.
ImageImage
Thels

Return to Basic Training & Talents