Remove Advertisements

Teaching English

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Teaching English

Postby Worldie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:54 am

Hey people.

Long story short, I have a very high level of spoken/written English (near motherlanguage as I speak it since when i was 7), and my girlfriend wants to learn English.

However at the moment she has no access to a computer, and I want to teach her, slowly but in a way she can learn to understand it.

I have never teached a language though, so would love to know if someone can explain me what method I should use.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Re: Teaching English

Postby benebarba » Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:49 am

There seem to be two basic approaches (I am not a language teacher, so buyer beware):
1) Vocabulary then Syntax: like you'd teach a young child - words for things then later how to put them together and some important phrases - this is basically the Rosetta Stone approach, IIRC. I think they also focus mainly on speaking.
2) Vocabulary and Syntax: This was basically how my language classes in school worked. You'd learn some basic vocabulary (nouns, adjectives then verbs and other parts of speech) and simple phrases (thank you, my name is, etc.) to get some basic understanding of the structure. Over time you'd get more into conjugation and more into syntax as you expand the vocabulary. This also focuses on both speaking and writing/reading.

One good thing is that she won't be short of someone to practice with - because that seems to be the biggest key. I'd see if you can find good recommendations on textbooks. Heck, you may even be able to do some of it (or at least reinforce lessons) with subtitled movies (if you can get them and the subtitle translations aren't terrible).

You may also want to look into seeing if there are classes available cheap or free - I seem to recall some of the consulates/cultural centers when I lived in Chicago running programs occasionally. I had wanted to take a class in Italian, but scheduling didn't work out :(
benebarba

Postby Fetzie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:31 am

Vocabulary, then grammar, then syntax. The syntax will fall into place when she learns the grammar.

Watch movies with English subtitles and Italian audio. Then change to English audio and subtitles. If she has a book she knows by heart, get her it in English. And encourage her to speak English with you (and reply in English). Watch English language kids TV with her, that really helps. Try to find The Magic Roundabout, The Clangers, Sesame Street (the first two are also entertaining for adults).
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Worldie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 8:33 am

She really loves music. I thought watching lyrics video of songs she likes, and letting her know the meanings of the words might be a good start?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:02 am

Could be. Just remember that lyrics are often used more because they fit the meter than their meaning or are used because they can have different meanings.
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Koatanga » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:53 pm

I'm teaching my daughter Spanish, although my knowledge of the language consists of what I learned in high school 30 years ago, and what I learned living in California for 30 years.

I found it a lot of fun to teach her some basics, then try to teach her some new words only using Spanish and pantomime. For example, she knew the words for "sun", "moon", "sky", "when" and a few more basic words, and from that I was able to teach her night, day, midday, midnight, breakfast, lunch, and dinner just using gestures and words she knew. I taught her "eat" using mime, and "midday" as "when the sun is high in the sky" so I was able to communicate "lunch" as "the food I eat when the sun is high in the sky". She at least was exposed to quite a lot of new other words that she picked up from context while I was trying to communicate a specific word. I found it fun and challenging because I had to search for the words I could communicate to her to get her to understand the main concept, which kept it interesting for me.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby theckhd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:01 am

Worldie wrote:Hey people.

Long story short, I have a very high level of spoken/written English (near mother_language as I speakhave spoken it since when I was 7), and my girlfriend wants to learn English.

However at the moment she has no access to a computer, and I want to teach her, slowly but in a way she can learn to understand it.

I have never teachedtaught a language though, so I would love to know if someone can explain to me what method I should use.

Fixed that for you. :P
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Worldie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:29 am

Schh teck dont tell them my shit errors XD There's a few words where i fail horribly. I remember my english teach gaving me 10/10 on most exams, but then yelling at me for saying Childrens !

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:09 am

Worldie wrote:Schh teck dont tell them my shit errors XD There's a few words where i fail horribly. I remember my english teach gaving me 10/10 on most exams, but then yelling at me for saying Childrens !

*I
*English
*teacher
*giving

:)

Fetzie

Postby Worldie » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:56 am

Now stop making me write like this >_<

Haters!

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Dion » Thu Sep 05, 2013 10:18 am

Worldie wrote:Long story short, I have a very high level of spoken/written English (near motherlanguage as I speak it since when i was 7).

Thus it came to be that that day Worldie the Breaker broke English and it's radiant fragments were scattered into the void. In the void they became dark,twisted and malformed but unfortunately managed to seep slowly back to humans. Era of l33t speak had begun.
Dion

Postby Shoju » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:48 pm

I think the movie idea would work.
Music might? But I find that there can be great variations between what words mean based on "cultural" context, that it could get messy depending on what the music is.
Books would work. I learned the most spanish when reading Don Qixote, one day in English, and then the next in Spanish.

But, I'm still pretty terrible at Spanish. Probably because I don't use it very often.
Shoju

Postby Gracerath » Wed Sep 11, 2013 2:45 pm

I've been using Duolingo on my android phone to learn some spanish. It also has english and several other languages. It is also free and works pretty well.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Return to General