Tom Chilton says Blizzard is considering a F2P model for WoW

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Tom Chilton says Blizzard is considering a F2P model for WoW

Postby Arnock » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:11 pm

Stumbled across this article today.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/23/465024 ... the-casual

"For Blizzard it makes sense [to go free-to-play] at some point. But a lot of the risk is in making that transition. You her stories about developers going free-to-play and getting double the number of players, but you don't always know it works out that way and how long it stays that way. We really don't know what the rate is before people drop off and lose interest."
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Re: Tom Chilton says Blizzard is considering a F2P model for

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:21 pm

earlier quote from Now Gamer

I definitely think that free-to-play MMOs will be around for a very long time. At some point it's possible that World of Warcraft could end up being free-to-play, but I do think there's always room for there to be subscription games.

I've thought from the beginning that Titan would be F2P from the ground up, that's probably what the recent core redesign is about, them reaching the same point.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Worldie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:34 pm

The thing is, going for F2P would surely bring a lot of new players (and possibly several old players back as well).
But it will also lower the quality of the average players (remember "lower level/rankings" of F2P games are plagued by trolls and kids).

It would also mean WoW would lose the Subscription income, so should have to gain that income (which is quite sustantial) from another source. Probably we'd start seeing stuff like Exp / Honor / VP / CP gain bonuses on the store for example.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Lieris » Fri Aug 23, 2013 5:53 pm

icalledit.gif

F2P business model and new expansion to be revealed at Blizzcon?
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:34 pm

Worldie wrote:The thing is, going for F2P would surely bring a lot of new players (and possibly several old players back as well).

I doubt the old players bit. Most people don't quit because of the cost. One of the biggest deterrents is the cost when you're first starting, but you quickly forget about it after you're already deeply involved. And it's not like the subscription costs have ever gone up (at least, not that I can recall).

I do agree that F2P will bring a whole new player base. And probably one you don't want since everyone's 8 year old children will be signing up.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:55 pm

Yeah, you think LFG/R chat is obnoxious now, imagine what it'll be like with the LoL crowd signing up.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Shamora » Fri Aug 23, 2013 11:09 pm

I am willin to bet that Blizz has always been considering a F2P model cause it would be foolish not to at least consider all their options. However I don't think this means that WoW is goin F2P anytime soon. I don't believe that WoW is anywhere near low enough numbers that lossin subscriber money for F2P cash from a portion of a potentially increased player base is gonna be profitable enough for Blizz to suffer through the switch.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Barthilas, Horde - <Tribo>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 100 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:38 am

Pertinent: "at some point."
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Newsom » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:24 am

"it's possible" != "it will eventually happen"
Frango NewsomNewsSpoon
Newsom

Postby Worldie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 7:40 am

Nikachelle wrote:I doubt the old players bit. Most people don't quit because of the cost. One of the biggest deterrents is the cost when you're first starting, but you quickly forget about it after you're already deeply involved. And it's not like the subscription costs have ever gone up (at least, not that I can recall).

What I meant with that was, that I think several old players who quit out of boredom would (at least, I would) consider coming back in super-casual manner, as once the game is free you really don't lose anything by playing once in a while.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:07 am

They really need to get the desktop chat client running. We have people that quit some time ago that would hang out in chat, which would almost certainly lead to hanging out in game. It's the ties that bind.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:38 am

It used to work well (I have a friend who had the beta test, and he could chat just fine from it, even though he coulnd't tell me what he was chatting with due to NDA at time).

Not sure why they removed it.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:45 am

It was disabled due to a bug they needed to fix and they never got round to implementing it again.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby kenshin648 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 4:50 pm

They should go with a model similar to guild wars, where you pay for the base game and the expansions.

If they do something like that, it would be reason enough for me to start playing again.
Give me blood
kenshin648

Postby Worldie » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:04 am

Remember that taking off the subscription is going to take off 7kk+13€ per month = 91 million euros per month of income.

That's not a small amount, and it has to come from something else. Losing 91 millions per month would mean having to dramatically reduce the people that work on WoW.

Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to General