All about sports

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: All about sports

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:15 am

The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:53 am

My 2nd years as League Manager for a Fantasy League Led me to the following Draft:
(We play a PPR / Bonus points for 100/200 Rec / Rush and 300/400 Pass yds.)

QB - Brady
RB1 - Ridley
RB2 - MJD
WR1 - Megatron
WR2 - Shorts
TE - V. Davis
Flex 1 - P. Garcon
Flex 2 - Torrey Smith
D/St - Ravens
K - Janikowski
BE - RGIII
BE - Jordan Cameron
BE - Golden Tate
BE - Justin Blackmon
BE - V. Ballard
BE - J. Franklin (RB#2 in GB.. It's a hedge bet on whether or not lacy pans out, and will probably get cut for some mid season wonder when it comes bye time)
BE - Marcel Reese (Count me as a non believer in Run DMC)
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:59 pm

Seattle swapped John Moffit (guard) to Cleveland for DL Brian Sanford. Any insight on him?

John Moffit is a locker room clown who is good for morale but has had pass protection issues at guard. He's a positive guy who likes food and video games and would make a great nerd if not for being a professional football player. But yeah, he's a better guy to hang around with than to have guarding your QB.

What's Sanford like?
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:32 am

Koatanga wrote:Seattle swapped John Moffit (guard) to Cleveland for DL Brian Sanford. Any insight on him?

John Moffit is a locker room clown who is good for morale but has had pass protection issues at guard. He's a positive guy who likes food and video games and would make a great nerd if not for being a professional football player. But yeah, he's a better guy to hang around with than to have guarding your QB.

What's Sanford like?

Let me sum it up for you.

Who the **** is Brian Sanford? He was with the Browns? I've never heard of him.

Seriously. He's a nobody.

EDIT: Just read an article about him. been with Cleveland for 3 seasons. he's played in 6 games, spent last year boucning between active and practice squads, AND was a PITA at Training Camp this year.

He was probably close to getting cut.

Thanks Seattle, You did us a favor :)
Shoju

Postby Koatanga » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:08 pm

Shoju wrote:Let me sum it up for you.

Who the **** is Brian Sanford? He was with the Browns? I've never heard of him.

Seriously. He's a nobody.

EDIT: Just read an article about him. been with Cleveland for 3 seasons. he's played in 6 games, spent last year boucning between active and practice squads, AND was a PITA at Training Camp this year.

He was probably close to getting cut.

Thanks Seattle, You did us a favor :)

Sounds mutual. Not much call for guards who can't pass protect. Thanks for the intel.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Shoju » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:50 am

And for us, at this point, we just need guards. We've got our 2 starting guards that are down with injuries that will cause them to miss time at the beginning of the season. So, we're just adding depth. Guys who can plug a hole on the line in case we lose more people.
Shoju

Postby halabar » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:59 am

Cowhead hating on and just bashing Ichiro today, painting him as a selfish prick who was only concerned about his average. Wow.. epic troll, or Cowhead trying to stand out?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Jabari » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:34 am

halabar wrote:Cowhead hating on and just bashing Ichiro today, painting him as a selfish prick who was only concerned about his average. Wow.. epic troll, or Cowhead trying to stand out?

Just Cowhead being Cowhead(*), probably. *shrug*

(*read: complete attention whore)

What excuse do you have for even listening to that idiot, anyway? :P

Edit: I can actually listen to sports radio in the morning on the drive to work again, at least. They finally put one of the local teams back in that slot. It used to be Mike & Mike (**).

(**read: Another pair of idiots)

Amusement: They had the DBacks prez on, saying that "we're still in this race, come out and support us, we're going to go on a run, etc etc etc." No you're not. You're a completely mediocre baseball team that only does one thing well: play D. (Which they are VERY good at, but that won't overcome the completely average bats and poor starting pitching outside of Corbin.)
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Shoju » Thu Aug 22, 2013 10:03 am

I actually enjoy Mike and Mike. Ichiro is a self centered stat monkey jerk. That's not news. He has at times put his personal achievements ahead of the teams needs. But, that doesn't mean he isn't great.

Jayson Stark wrote a great article yesterday about it. Even if you don't count Japanese Pro Ball as "fur SRS BIZNESS" or "MLB Quality", you only add 2 or 3 names to the list of people who have 4,000 hits in a professional career that includes MLB.

And then, if you just look at most hits in a 13 year span, NO ONE has more than Ichiro. If he plays to get 3000, he will most likely be the fastest to 3000 in the history of the game. (barring injury, or just going in the shitter for a while.)

And to be fair, there are other superstars who were just as "obsessed" with their personal stats, and wanting to be "the guy".
Jordan
Gretzky
Rose
Kobe
Chris Carter
Emmitt Smith
Brett Favre

But,we don't knock them for being self obsessed assholes when we talk about their greatness. We have other reasons to call some of them assholes, but rarely is it the desire to be #1, or the greatest at something.

Hell, Look at how Mr. Nice Guy Jerry Rice handled the Megatron thing last year. Or Dickerson talking about AP. Those guys are all self obsessed with their records. It just doesn't mean they aren't great.

Cowhead is a tool. The only thing he has added to my life is the adjective phrase "Mouth Breathing Booger Eaters".
Shoju

Postby halabar » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:21 pm

Well, my morning drive time is either the local guy, DP, or Cowhead. Depending on what they are talking about (or when commercials hit), I flip stations. Least time is spent on Cowhead.

I wish I had the choice of Mike and Mike. While their information value is lean, it's pleasant listening while driving. Traffic does enough for my blood pressure, I don't need the radio host annoying me further.

Just realized something... Mike and Mike is like listening to The Instance. Little substance, but goes down smoothly, no heartburn afterwards, as long as you don't expect it to be pack full of nutrition.. err.. information.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:54 am

Fantastic!

Step 1: Ron Jaworski goes on SportsCenter Wednesday at a little after noon and says something absolutely ridiculous: "I truly believe Colin Kaepernick could be one of the greatest quarterbacks ever."

Step 2: SportsCenter replays that clip less than an hour later. "Strong words from Jaws!"

Step 3: A reporter at 49ers camp asks Colin Kaepernick, "Ron Jaworski said today he thought you could be the greatest quarterback of all-time, the best quarterback ever. How do you deal with praise and stuff in this off-season and what not?" That full question—and Kaepernick's response—are later broadcast on SportsCenter.

Step 4: Steve Levy goes on the 11 p.m. SportsCenter and talks about what Jaworski had to say.

Step 5: Steve Young comes on SportsCenter to do a spot on Jaws's opinion.

Step 6: San Francisco's ABC affiliate does a segment dedicated to it. ABC and ESPN are both owned by Disney.

Step 7: SportsCenter replays Jaws's hot take several times overnight. SportsCenter anchor Jonathan Coachman reports that Kaepernick is "humbly appreciative of all this greatest-ever talk." All this greatest-ever talk.

Step 8: The AP writes up a story about Jaworski's take. (So does SI.)

Step 9: ESPN picks up the AP story.

Step 10: ESPN puts the AP story on the front page of ESPN.com with the headline, "Jaworski praises Colin Kaepernick."

Step 11: ESPN Radio's Mike Golic plays the clip and dedicates one of his first segments to it on Thursday morning.

Step 12: A topic for the morning SportsCenter. "Jaws made a little bit of news yesterday!" Jaworski comes on with Adam Schefter to talk about what he said. And then Jaworski says that Kaepernick answered the question—that is, a question from the reporter about Jawkorski's take—perfectly.

Step 13: Jaws goes on another edition of SportsCenter. "I'm going to stick to what I said!" he said, laughing hysterically.

Step 14: Jaworski goes on First Take to talk about it with Skip Bayless. "You put it on Tebow," Jaworski tells him.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Klaudandus » Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:22 am

---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:22 am

Man. Is there a bigger trainwreck than the jets? I'm fairly confident that not even the browns and our crook of an owner can compete with these guys for biggest joke this year.
Shoju

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:24 am

At this stage, they probably regret not having Tebow.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Shoju » Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:58 am

They might be able to get him back tomorrow.
Shoju

PreviousNext

Return to General