Remove Advertisements

Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid, Siege of Orgrimmar, and more!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Patch 5.4 - Flex Raid, Siege of Orgrimmar, and more!

Postby Lieris » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:00 am

Thels wrote:However, I do think there are more elegant solutions than the Thunderforged option. For one, they could make it so that a lot more people could actually raid 25 man. A lot of people I know raid 10 man exclusively because their computers can't handle 25 man. You can't have Particle Density at low during raiding, as half the important stuff is invisible, so you need it on at least Fair. However, that means your computer will try to show all the spells that everyone around you is casting on Fair quality, and unless your computer is up to date on hardware, it's probably going to drop your FPS like a brick.

That's me. Even on 10 man during Cata I was tanking with 5-20fps depending on the fight/phase. 25 man slaughters my computer.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby daishan » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:04 am

Blizz should be doing much more to help guilds recruit, like making their recruitment forums useful instead of talking about removing realm forums -.-
Ofc easier recruitment would help 10 man raiding as well but I think it would be of greater benefit to 25's as they go through more players.
Daishan of <Nidor Amo Nex>
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it." -- Terry Pratchett
daishan
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:11 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Barathorn wrote:What people don't tend to factor in is that 'elite' players for want of a better term can get just as frustrated as 'average' players about availability of core 'product' and there are a hell of a lot less of them because not every one is good at gaming.

Every 'elite' player that leaves because of a change in levels of difficulty of core product leaves a 'bigger' skill hole than if an 'average' player quits I would suggest?

*facedesk* that does sound like elitism, which is what Tera was commenting on.

Heroic raiders have their sandbox, who cares if other lesser players get their own sandbox as well? It's like if Heroic Raiders want to be the only ones that have access to sandboxes, forever.

Oh please it is hardly elitist to a/ ask where the challenge lies for people of a certain skill level b/ try to work out why 4 skill levels are needed when 3 would clearly suffice [point taken from Ironskin about what progression actually entails as I can understand that now], c/ frustration affecting all levels of play or d/ wanting to talk about the game and its direction and what is happening rather than trying to randomly score points on an internet forum?

FWIW WOW has no sandboxes, if you want a sandbox of your very own you need to play a sandbox game. WOW isn't that game. This is not about what skill level you possess, it is about fitting square pegs into round holes.

I would have thought anyone who has actually read anything that I posted over the last 6 years would know I am about as far from elite as you can get. That doesn't mean I don't understand points from both sides of the fence.

A lot of people seem to have 'soapboxes' as their mount of choice here now rather than trusty 'rational conversation'. It is that I take offense to.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Worldie » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:18 am

Ironshield wrote:Flex in progression will lead to min / maxing numbers. There is already a problem (and Blizz clearly have an issue with it - hence spreading around buffs / heroism etc) of min / maxing composition and getting sat because you play x class/spec when y has the toolbox for fight 5 is bad enough, getting sat for fight 5 because some EJ theorycrafted that the optimal number of people vs DPS requirement / whatever will be unfun.

I'm quite confident that the people at which Flex is aimed don't even know what EJ is ;) At least the vast majority of the,
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:25 am

Barathorn wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:
Barathorn wrote:What people don't tend to factor in is that 'elite' players for want of a better term can get just as frustrated as 'average' players about availability of core 'product' and there are a hell of a lot less of them because not every one is good at gaming.

Every 'elite' player that leaves because of a change in levels of difficulty of core product leaves a 'bigger' skill hole than if an 'average' player quits I would suggest?

*facedesk* that does sound like elitism, which is what Tera was commenting on.

Heroic raiders have their sandbox, who cares if other lesser players get their own sandbox as well? It's like if Heroic Raiders want to be the only ones that have access to sandboxes, forever.

Oh please it is hardly elitist to a/ ask where the challenge lies for people of a certain skill level b/ try to work out why 4 skill levels are needed when 3 would clearly suffice [point taken from Ironskin about what progression actually entails as I can understand that now], c/ frustration affecting all levels of play or d/ wanting to talk about the game and its direction and what is happening rather than trying to randomly score points on an internet forum?

FWIW WOW has no sandboxes, if you want a sandbox of your very own you need to play a sandbox game. WOW isn't that game. This is not about what skill level you possess, it is about fitting square pegs into round holes.

I would have thought anyone who has actually read anything that I posted over the last 6 years would know I am about as far from elite as you can get. That doesn't mean I don't understand points from both sides of the fence.

A lot of people seem to have 'soapboxes' as their mount of choice here now rather than trusty 'rational conversation'. It is that I take offense to.

I said sandbox as in an actual sandbox rather than a sandbox game, replace sandbox in my paragraph with playground or swingset or toys and you get the idea to what i am talking about.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Flex » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:11 am

Amirya wrote:
Worldie wrote:As a new casual, I'm actually looking forward for flex. Just hope I can find a group of people willing to bring me through as well *pokes fellow alliance EU maintankadiners*

Do not feed the Flexbreaker.

woo...my special guild rank is Guildbreaker
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Flex » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:16 am

Worldie wrote:
Ironshield wrote:Flex in progression will lead to min / maxing numbers. There is already a problem (and Blizz clearly have an issue with it - hence spreading around buffs / heroism etc) of min / maxing composition and getting sat because you play x class/spec when y has the toolbox for fight 5 is bad enough, getting sat for fight 5 because some EJ theorycrafted that the optimal number of people vs DPS requirement / whatever will be unfun.

I'm quite confident that the people at which Flex is aimed don't even know what EJ is ;) At least the vast majority of the,

I have to agree with Worldie here. As a guild we are capable of doing normal, gotten 3 new kills in 2 weeks after deciding on extending raid lockouts. But for us Flex is a good benefit because we can bring players who like group content but aren't a fan of the harder normal mode raids compared to LK, those who have a work schedule that lets them join us an hour after our start time, or who have to leave for work an hour before end time. So for us Flex is a tool to let us play with more of the guild and placing serious progression metrics against it seems like a waste.

Barathorn wrote:I think the issue I can't get my head around or convey properly is 'who' these people are for whom LFR is a cakewalk and normal is too difficult.

I'll toss out an example for comparison of normal vs LFR. Tortos has a big AOE that you interrupt or else it deals high damage. On normal letting it go off is a raid wiper, no other outcome from it exists, on progression even letting it go for 1 second (2 ticks) is usually enough to wipe the raid. On LFR you don't have to interrupt it at all, it barely does any damage and what damage it does is basically covered by blanket AOE healing.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Ironshield » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:32 am

Worldie wrote:

Indeed and as it stands that sort of min/maxing shouldn't be necessary to beat it, but I was specifically arguing against the tech being used in normal / heroic raids.
Ironshield

Postby Flex » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:33 am

Ironshield wrote:Indeed and as it stands that sort of min/maxing shouldn't be necessary to beat it, but I was specifically arguing against the tech being used in normal / heroic raids.

oh...which is why it will never be done for "serious raiding."
Flex

Postby Dion » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:35 am

Klaudandus wrote:I said sandbox as in an actual sandbox rather than a sandbox game, replace sandbox in my paragraph with playground or swingset or toys and you get the idea to what i am talking about.

You seem to imply that users of said sandbox, playground or toys are petty, mean and antisocial. You do realize that those things are for kids, not for adults? If there is one group of humans that are social and accept all the different kind of people without blinking and generally get along even when they don’t speak same language, it's the users f said sandboxes, toys and swingset. It even gets easier when they get bigger until they grow up as growing up basically is that they realize that they have been lied their whole life about how to behave as adults ignore their own teachings. (Don’t steal, don’t lie, it’s wrong to hurt a person etc.)
Dion

Postby Jabari » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:53 am

Flex wrote:I'll toss out an example for comparison of normal vs LFR. Tortos has a big AOE that you interrupt or else it deals high damage. On normal letting it go off is a raid wiper, no other outcome from it exists, on progression even letting it go for 1 second (2 ticks) is usually enough to wipe the raid. On LFR you don't have to interrupt it at all, it barely does any damage and what damage it does is basically covered by blanket AOE healing.

LOL, Flex vastly undersold what all is involved with that. Not only do you have to interrupt it, but you have to:
a) Actually get the first turtle down in time before the first breath, which isn't trivial at times for progression groups because there are three of them and everybody has to attack the same one, and actually do the DPS to it that's required,
b) Have enough communication to not "waste" kicks (multiple people kicking at the same time, wasting one), but...
c) Have people in position where if the designated kicker gets thrown in the air en-route then someone else can jump in and hit it.
d) Actually kick them the correct direction, and not too early (both of which I've seen screwed up, even in normal).
e) And this is only one part of the fight, not the whole thing! You still have a healing CD rotation for Quake Stomp, a non-trivial tanking/healing HP threshold for the bat tank, DPSing the bats down in time before the next Stomp hits, etc etc.

Barathorn wrote:I think the issue I can't get my head around or convey properly is 'who' these people are for whom LFR is a cakewalk and normal is too difficult.

You really need to jump into a group that's randomly advertising "LF a <healer/dps>, fresh ToT, guild group, pst". If they don't say they're full-clearing or close, the odds are that they're stuck on Horridon. (If not, they're almost definitely stuck on Tortos.) You'll see really fast who "these people" are. :lol:
Most people want the wealth produced by a society with limited government distributed to them more generously by bigger government.
Jabari

Postby Flex » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:57 am

I've only done ToT LFR once, since we're extending now I do the wings we've completed in normal on LFR for my chances at Secrets. I went as DPS and didn't even notice if any turtles were actually kicked or not.
Flex

Postby Sagara » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:00 am

Or durumu. Or Dark Animus. Or Lei Shen.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Newsom » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:00 am

You don't really have to kick them in LFR, the breath does almost no damage.
Newsom NewsSpoonFrangoNewsy
Newsom

Postby Ruldar » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:54 am

Heh. According to the armory I have 25 LFR Tortos kills between two different characters (holy crap), and I cannot recall seeing the breath interrupted more than a handful of times. Stepping up to a version of the encounter where it has to be quickly interrupted every single time or everyone dies would be a pretty astonishing difference. That does more to explain the addition of Flex then just about anything I've seen yet.
Ruldar
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General