Remove Advertisements

Anyone play MTG?

Invisusira's playground

Moderators: Aergis, Invisusira

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:55 am

blehhhh too many red/white decks have huge bombs from Innistrad/Dark Ascension... which I don't own any of. :(
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Petrus » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:19 am

Man, I had no idea there was such a strong MTG community here as well. I've played since my 10th birthday (1998) but more-or-less quit (at least buying new cards) in 2003 when they changed the card face. I try to live up to my reputation as that guy who hates the new card faces, and I was mostly successful until this past spring when I finally cracked because RTR has been such a cool block.

Mirrodin and Kamigawa blocks added to the card style change - I didn't like their content and I liked the old cards, so I just said "screw it" and stuck to my old stuff. But RTR has been pretty cool, I really like the guilds and their mechanics, and I really really love Roman/Green history and mythology (was going to be a Classics major at one point in college), so I am looking forward to Theros with bated breath.

The biggest thing I hope to see is a return to more dual-color decks instead of tricolor. While I understand the state of mana fixing in standard is really good right now, I hope that Theros brings with it duals that are better for pairings than groupings. Hopefully it will also cut down on the number of Jund/UWR/Bant decks in the standard meta (even if Bant is my favorite of the tricolor groups). I'd love to be able to run W/G, W/R, U/G, and W/U decks in standard, and maybe even monogreen or monowhite.

Either way, until Theros comes out, I'll stick to searching out old singles from Tempest-Stronghold-Exodus (and the other old blocks that I don't have enough cards from) at my LGS.
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 am

/waves to Petrus.

Ok Sab, lets build you a deck for FNM that is good for a year or so.

The Monsters [27]

2 x Legion Loyalist
4 x Foundry Street Denizen
4 x Rakdos Cackler
4 x Ash Zealot
4 x Chandra's Phoenix
4 x Viashino Firstblade
3 x Ogre Battledriver
2 x Scourge of Valkas [get these while they are cheap]

The Planeswalkers [2]

2 x Chandra Pyromaster

The Spells [8]

2 x Mizzium Mortars
4 x Annihilating Fire
2 x Boros Charm

The Lands [23]

4 x Sacred Foundry
3 x Boros Guildgate
3 x Mutavault
13 x Mountain

NB - you may want to wait for Theros to be spoiled before committing to buying any cards currently but the dragon is suprisingly good!
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Annihilating Fire? Really? I kind of like Warleader's Helix...

SO yeah I did build a red/white deck but it probably isn't very good. Bara, once I get home I'll type up a deck list for you to pick apart
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Barathorn » Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:00 am

Sabindeus wrote:Annihilating Fire? Really? I kind of like Warleader's Helix...

SO yeah I did build a red/white deck but it probably isn't very good. Bara, once I get home I'll type up a deck list for you to pick apart

This deck must have like 1000's of cards right?

:P
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:25 am

Barathorn wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Annihilating Fire? Really? I kind of like Warleader's Helix...

This deck must have like 1000's of cards right?

:P

no i am just awful

also since the last time i posted I went to DragonCon and played some casuals and it wasn't the worst thing ever. (it wasn't great but it didn't autolose every game)
Sabindeus

Postby Kai » Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:48 am

uh, dragon con. was there a few years ago when they had a grand prix. is that still more of a lack/leather fetish convention then anything else? Can't say I expected to see girls having their boyfriends on a leash and stuff like that. when we got into the room they had the magic tournament and it was crowded with the usual 16-30y old guys with backpacks, one of my friends went 'phew, normal people.'. :)
Kai

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:50 am

Kai wrote:uh, dragon con. was there a few years ago when they had a grand prix. is that still more of a lack/leather fetish convention then anything else? Can't say I expected to see girls having their boyfriends on a leash and stuff like that. when we got into the room they had the magic tournament and it was crowded with the usual 16-30y old guys with backpacks, one of my friends went 'phew, normal people.'. :)

roflcopters

the thing is, you find, seriously, all kinds of people at DragonCon. What you saw was not representative. In fact I'm guessing that what happened was you saw some people that you didn't expect, and only remembered them and didn't really notice all the other people walking around in t-shirts and cargo shorts. :)
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:19 pm

so how bout that there Theros
Sabindeus

Postby Aergis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:20 am

Been actively watching the prices now that we have a new inventory system and sales website...
WTF is going on with Stormbreath Dragon and Chandra, Pyromancer? Chandra spiked up to $40 from $20 and is sold out of most stores...
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:28 am

I'm guessing it;'s because her +1 makes creatures unable to block.
Sabindeus

Postby Aergis » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:56 am

Right, but she came out in M14 and has been stable since release around $20. Now it's doubled due to some combo that came out with Theros, but I don't see what it is.
Aergis
Site Admin

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:21 pm

Aergis wrote:Right, but she came out in M14 and has been stable since release around $20. Now it's doubled due to some combo that came out with Theros, but I don't see what it is.

I don't think it's a specific combo, just the general theme of Theros being big, ridiculous creatures that just get bigger and bigger and crush your face in.
Sabindeus

Postby Kai » Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:55 am

no, chandra spiked up as there was a modern grand prix where most of the good players ran a jund list with chandra, not related with theros at all. that's driving the price up. the red dragon is just a good standard card after the 5/5 haste flier rotated out now.
Kai

Postby Barathorn » Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:05 am

Here is the slighty odd list I built and played at the Kent County Championship.

Madfish Reaper Rock - 3rd Place Kent County Championship 2013.

4 Reaper of the Wild
4 Sylvan Caryatid
3 Lifebane Zombie
3 Witchstalker
3 Scavenging Ooze
1 Lilliana's Reaver
2 Bow of Nylea
2 Underworld Connections
1 Whip of Erebos
3 Abrupt Decay
3 Heroes Downfall
2 Devour Flesh
1 Putrefy
1 Golgari Charm
3 Thoughtseize
4 Overgrown Tomb
4 Golgari Guildgate
2 Mutavault
7 Swamps
7 Forests

Sideboard

3 Duress
2 Pithing Needle
2 Ratchet Bomb
1 Golgari Charm
1 Devour Flesh
1 Ultimate Price
1 Primeval Bounty
1 Witchstalker
1 Lifebane Zombie
2 Fade into Antiquity

I was unbeaten but lost in the semi finals to U/B Ashiok Control [which went on to win the event] which the deck really shouldn't have any issues with.

Ah well next year.

Barathorn

PreviousNext

Return to Arkham Asylum